Banana Pudding | ExpatWoman.com

Banana Pudding

Latest post on 21 August 2014 - 12:01

Hello Lovely EW,

How do you make Banana Pudding? What can I subsitute "instant vanilla pudding mix preferably Jell-O brand" and "Nabisco Nilla Wafers" with, here in Dubai?

Have you had it in its famous branch here? How is it?

TIA

Latest post on 25 August 2014 - 20:23
Naiyyar, Safestway on SZR across from Dubai Mall has both of those items.
Latest post on 24 August 2014 - 16:06
Thank you ladies. Yes Apricot, that was the only famous dessert we had growing up other than the usual kheer, firni and gulab jamuns. Mom used to layer the cake, vanilla custard and mixed tin fruits, cover with nestle cream and decorate with the reserved halved cherries from the mixed fruit tin. :-)
Latest post on 22 August 2014 - 20:24
The Choithrams opp Safa Park has both the Nilla wafers and the Jello pudding mix. Growing up, I never liked the taste of banana pudding TBH, always preferred the "trifle" we made at home using Bird's custard powder from the Chinese grocery store and Entenmann's buttery pound cake and a can of mixed fruit cocktail.
Latest post on 21 August 2014 - 17:17
In the past I have seen the Jell-O vanilla pudding mix in Choitrams - the one opposite Safa Park. An American friend asked me to pick some up for her so they definitely had it there.
Latest post on 21 August 2014 - 15:43
You're talking about the banana pudding from Magnolia Bakery. It tastes amazing! My sister uses the recipe from their cookbook using the ingredients you have listed below and it turns out identical to the one at the bakery. There is a reason they suggest those ingredients even though the wafers are pricey (even in the US where my sister lives). You could look for them in Safestway but I have never checked myself.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY