Another rental query | ExpatWoman.com

Another rental query

Latest post on 22 August 2014 - 12:47

Hi Ladies,
Our rent is due on 27th August, we chased our landlord last week as we had heard nothing from him. He send some bloke round with a contract with an increased rent. Now RERA says no increase is due and he has not given us 90 days notice either. So we emailed him the RERA information and stated no rental increase is due however we would agree to a small increase because we wanted to pay by 4 cheques this year, last year we did in one cheque. We then had an email asking for our work trade license which we duly supplied and since then nothing. What happens on the 27th if we don't hear from our landlord. Have we got to move out? Should I be looking for somewhere new? I really don't want to move but I am not sure of my rights if we have not had any communication from the landlord. At this time we don't even know where to send the cheques if I he does agree to our suggestion. Any advice? TIA

Latest post on 23 August 2014 - 02:52
The 90 days apply to you and the landlord. You can't just unilaterally decided to pay in 4 cheques instead of 1. Legally you will need to honour the terms of your existence contract
Latest post on 22 August 2014 - 13:44
I agree with Diamante, but do check with RERA because you are in effect changing the terms and conditions to four cheques instead of one cheque, which you might not be able to do without the landlords consent. You might be entitled to the same rent as last year according to RERA rules, but you may have to pay in one cheque again, same as last year. Always best to check.
Latest post on 22 August 2014 - 13:30
thank you that's a weight of my mind
Latest post on 22 August 2014 - 13:08
Hi there, Dont worry. Legally you are still allowed to live there. I had the same issue that even to the day and several days after my tenancy expired I still hadn't heard anything from landlord. RERA had assured me that by law i'm still allowed to stay there at least for another year anyway, even though the landlord was taking his sweet time. Please call RERA to confirm this just for your own assurance. :) From what I remember RERA do settle any issues if landlords are not accepting cheques and they can be taken to the RERA office, not sure if this is true of today. But please call them. As for looking for somewhere else to live you won't need to, by law he can not kick you out. Have a lovely weekend.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY