Desperate for advice about schools for this year:(( | ExpatWoman.com

Desperate for advice about schools for this year:((

Latest post on 23 August 2014 - 20:59

Hubby just got new contract in Dubai
I have 3 kids. One will be going to year 10, year 8 and year3.
We are in U.K at the moment. Is it too late to find school?
I was looking at WSO but I can't find many good reviews about it.
Can you please recommend any British school.
Hubby is in alwarqa area at the moment.
Thanks

Latest post on 05 September 2014 - 11:28
Thank you ladies for all the info. It is really hard if not impossible to get place in the best schools this late The fact that my son in starting his gcse I just couldn't move him just to a any school. Therefore I decided to stay in Uk. Thanks for letting us know. All the very best.
Latest post on 04 September 2014 - 21:20
Thank you ladies for all the info. It is really hard if not impossible to get place in the best schools this late The fact that my son in starting his gcse I just couldn't move him just to a any school. Therefore I decided to stay in Uk.
Latest post on 04 September 2014 - 13:11
I think this rule still applies after January KHDA have a cut off so no children within Dubai can move to another school within Dubai, so if people leave, the places can only be filled with people from overseas. This may be an option, but you would still need to be on the waitlist to be offered a place. son2mum10 if they are moving now they won't have the luxury to pick and choose schools, they will just need to take what they can get. <em>edited by TimTam on 04/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 19:12
Horizon International School ( previously Star International School) in Umm Sheif ( near Al Thanya Street) may have year 10 places http://www.starschoolummsheif.com. They also have a Primary school
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 15:03
hi coco take your time placing them in the right school my advise is talk to few schools and visit them before you decide, normally few places appear after the school start as people move in and out often enough. Many schools are very happy taking your deposit to register them on a waiting list that never moves. I can not be sure but ,in my observation, midyear time maybe easier to get places than the start of the year. hope all goes well
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 14:11
It's been mentioned on this thread already, but have you tried DESC for your 2 secondary school kids? It does have an excellent reputation for British curriculum. It is a long way out in the desert though. But it runs bus services all over. The primary school, DESS, is very hard to get into, but the sites are separate and nowhere near each other anyway.
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 13:52
Hi Coco. There is a big ad for the Kings schools in yesterday's 7days newspaper. Kings Dubai in Umm Suqeim (the original Kings, where our daughter goes) has spaces in year 3, which might work for you if you got secondary places in a secondary in Jumeirah/Al SUfouh (JC, DC, English COllege). The new Kings schools, AL Barsha and Nad AL SHeba are still generally open for applications, so presumably have spaces in all years, but not, as LOlacat correctly says, for year 10 and above. That could work for your year 3 and 8 children. Many (most?) people seem to have kids at more than one school when they have both primary and secondary age children. For a start, the same school may not work for 3 kids with different talents and personalities. Plus most schools, especially secondaries, run bus services. So i wouldn't be too concerned about getting them all into the same school. If two were in one school and one in another the eldest could use the bus service for example. Having said which, the new Kings schools won't have buses yet (but do plan to introduce a service in due course).
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 06:27
I checked with a friend at Repton and they would have spaces for the younger two but not for year 10. Best of luck
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 10:53
Hi Coco14, here is my 5 cents worth. Call the schools, or get your husband to go there.Don't email as you are just another email and they get so many. Is your son that is in Year 10 and child in Year 8 academic, if so they may get a place at Dubai College, depending on space and any last minute leavers. Jumeirah College, English College also great. (In that order) Friends have children at WSO but obviuosly in a totally different area. Also now hard to get into due to depand in that area. DESC is only a few minutes from WSO. It may also be hard to get a place for all children in WSO. If you got DC, JC or EC you could look at Kings Umm Sequim, JPS, Horizon, Wellington, Star for Primary school. JESS I doubt you would get. I would try and sort your Year 10 and 8 first, then if possible find a primary school close by. There is also Dubai British School (DBS) Primary/secondary, good from what friends say and their kids are happy. My children went to JPS and JC. Another option is Repton or Gems World Academy but that is IB. Depending on how long you are here and if you are moving to another place IB might be worth considering. Good luck, Dubai is not the easiest place to sort schooling, I had 2 friends that had 3 children in 3 different schools! It is very stressful now but you will get something sorted. Just hang in there. <em>edited by TimTam on 28/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 27 August 2014 - 20:52
I'm looking for my own son for a school for next year and so I've seriously done my homework on the schools and I wish for him to be there as long as possible. All of the schools I've mentioned don't go up to year 10 they go further. Nord Anglia is hoping to grow up to the age of 18 as stated on their website. The pricing structures for Kings dubai run upto school year 12-13. They are both gcse and English curriculum. Victory heights is a primary English curriculum which is a great school but I'm sorry I don't know the gems school that I've mentioned because I only pass it every day but worth googling gems al barsha. Desc again as I mentioned before has been recommended by my children's headmistress (which personally I think is a good thing) but academic city is too far from us and it would be a huge day everyday for my son with the travel, homework etc. However there are the other schools as mentioned by everyone else on this thread. In terms of WSO I'm assuming the op has already looked at kdha website I think they have reviews on there? I think personally it's a case of get out here and see what suits you as a family and how each schools ethos fits with your children. It's very difficult! NONE of the schools you mentioned, Kings Al Barsha, Victory heights primary and Nord Anglia are taking Year 10's THIS year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Schools have to be established before they offer year 10. The OP has a year 10, this is not a year you can wing it and just see which school has a place if you value education and your child's future. You don't just move a year 10 student and see what suits if you don't have to. It's always best when responding to a post to try to give accurate information.
Latest post on 27 August 2014 - 19:08
I'm looking for my own son for a school for next year and so I've seriously done my homework on the schools and I wish for him to be there as long as possible. All of the schools I've mentioned don't go up to year 10 they go further. Nord Anglia is hoping to grow up to the age of 18 as stated on their website. The pricing structures for Kings dubai run upto school year 12-13. They are both gcse and English curriculum. Victory heights is a primary English curriculum which is a great school but I'm sorry I don't know the gems school that I've mentioned because I only pass it every day but worth googling gems al barsha. Desc again as I mentioned before has been recommended by my children's headmistress (which personally I think is a good thing) but academic city is too far from us and it would be a huge day everyday for my son with the travel, homework etc. However there are the other schools as mentioned by everyone else on this thread. In terms of WSO I'm assuming the op has already looked at kdha website I think they have reviews on there? I think personally it's a case of get out here and see what suits you as a family and how each schools ethos fits with your children. It's very difficult!
Latest post on 26 August 2014 - 21:06
DS has just completed GCSEs at WSO we couldn't be happier ... Moved him from DESC - he loves it there and going to do IBCC next year - we have no doubts it has been a great school for our son. WSO have had exceptional results in GCSE this year, higher than their expectations, don't discount it Hope this helps Wow they have a full breakdown of their results already? What are exceptional and higher than expectations actually mean in real terms?
Latest post on 26 August 2014 - 18:52
DS has just completed GCSEs at WSO we couldn't be happier ... Moved him from DESC - he loves it there and going to do IBCC next year - we have no doubts it has been a great school for our son. WSO have had exceptional results in GCSE this year, higher than their expectations, don't discount it Hope this helps
Latest post on 26 August 2014 - 02:22
The best/most popular schools have already been mentioned but there are others that do IGCSE/GCSE and AS and A levels like Regent International School and Cambridge International School (GEMS). Many others do IGCSE/GCSE's and then IB (so you would have to move him to one of the other mentioned schools to do A levels in 2 years time if you didn't want IB.) These schools include the GEMS Wellington schools and Repton School.
Latest post on 26 August 2014 - 00:57
Yes, apologies. Thought the question was starting on the first day/week. Hopefully OP will have a bit of time to sort it
Latest post on 26 August 2014 - 00:16
Short reply but I can confirm, new arrivals to dubai can start anytime. Best wishes I know how stressful it is Except year 10 pupils have to start within the first term, that is normally a school requirement.
Latest post on 26 August 2014 - 00:13
Oh god its horrible isn't it?? First thing to do is get a siege mentality on. Make a list of all the schools from the KDHA website that you can apply to and just contact every school. Then next to the list of schools write down their responses in terms of waiting lists. Then do your homework with regards to the areas and get a feel for each school. You may need to apply to 2 or 3 (could be expensive) and then your children will need to sit assessments and hopefully you will know then. I would like to say its easy but its not. One woman I know actually did a spreadsheet of the schools and the answers she would receive back but not all schools do reply so you may need to do some phoning around. If you are thinking of living in or around the al warqa area, the headmistress of my children's school has recommended to me Dubai English Speaking College as a comprehensive. She told me that she was really impressed by the head of the school and the schools ethos. Its around academic city so shouldn't be too far to travel if you decide to live around the area. However, it depends on whether your husband is willing to travel to work. If he is then I would suggest to look at the comprehensives around the Al Barsha area is 2 new comprehensive schools opening which is Nord Anglia (looks very impressive to me and I'm hoping to get my son registered there for next year) and also Kings Al Barsha which is opening as well. There's also a big blue Gems school there as well which I think is new. Also not very far from Al Barsha is Victory Heights Primary and is about a 10 minute drive away (if you're thinking of doing the school run yourself). Good luck with your move and we've all been there with the schools. I don't want to rain on your parade as obviously you have posted to be helpful, but bar DESC none of the schools you have mentioned take year 10. The OP Year 10 is her priority and school availability at this late stage and the RIGHT school are extremely limited. In the case of seniors you find the school and work out where to live afterwards. Year 10 in the British curriculum is the first of the most important years. Also the OP is not looking for IB schools as her son is coming from a BC. The schools you have mentioned may be possible for her youngest and that is about it. Personally i believe the OP to be most sensible in her decision to wait to find the RIGHT school rather than rushing in and placing her kids in anywhere that has availability, this is a very very wise course of action bearing in mind her year 10. DESC is not a comprehensive it is a selective school with a high academic, pastoral and sporting ethos.
Latest post on 26 August 2014 - 00:01
Short reply but I can confirm, new arrivals to dubai can start anytime. Best wishes I know how stressful it is
Latest post on 25 August 2014 - 23:20
Oh god its horrible isn't it?? First thing to do is get a siege mentality on. Make a list of all the schools from the KDHA website that you can apply to and just contact every school. Then next to the list of schools write down their responses in terms of waiting lists. Then do your homework with regards to the areas and get a feel for each school. You may need to apply to 2 or 3 (could be expensive) and then your children will need to sit assessments and hopefully you will know then. I would like to say its easy but its not. One woman I know actually did a spreadsheet of the schools and the answers she would receive back but not all schools do reply so you may need to do some phoning around. If you are thinking of living in or around the al warqa area, the headmistress of my children's school has recommended to me Dubai English Speaking College as a comprehensive. She told me that she was really impressed by the head of the school and the schools ethos. Its around academic city so shouldn't be too far to travel if you decide to live around the area. However, it depends on whether your husband is willing to travel to work. If he is then I would suggest to look at the comprehensives around the Al Barsha area is 2 new comprehensive schools opening which is Nord Anglia (looks very impressive to me and I'm hoping to get my son registered there for next year) and also Kings Al Barsha which is opening as well. There's also a big blue Gems school there as well which I think is new. Also not very far from Al Barsha is Victory Heights Primary and is about a 10 minute drive away (if you're thinking of doing the school run yourself). Good luck with your move and we've all been there with the schools.
Latest post on 25 August 2014 - 13:58
Thanks Mom It s really hard one. I m trying hard to get things sort out this week. edited by Coco14 on 25/08/2014 I understand, it's stressful but things will fall into place. Start with the Y10 first, Lolacat's list is a really good start: DESC, JESS Arabian Ranches, Dubai College, English College, Dubai British School, Jumeirah College. JESS Ranches - note their Sixth Form is IB. Also the school/working week in Dubai is Sunday to Thursday. Come back to the Forum when you need more help. Good luck.
Latest post on 25 August 2014 - 02:32
Thanks Mom It s really hard one. I m trying hard to get things sort out this week. <em>edited by Coco14 on 25/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 25 August 2014 - 01:09
I think for the younger children you can keep looking till you’re offered a place at the school you think is most suitable. However the tricky one will be your son starting Y10 and GCSEs. He will have selected his options for his current school in the UK so I'm sure you're aware that different schools may/will have selected different exam boards even if they’re for the same subject. Or, if they are the same exam board, they may have selected different units of study. Some schools will take a new Y10 student a few weeks into a new school year during the "grace period", the time given to their existing students to change their minds about a subject choice. Once you go pass that period, it starts to get tricky unless the options your son has chosen and the exam boards match the new school's. I have friends whose children had to repeat Y10 when they moved during GCSE studies. The other thing to bear in mind is choosing GCSE options at his new school in Dubai – some subjects may be full and/or there may be a timetabling issue and he ends up settling for his 2nd or 3rd preference. Best to confirm what the policies are when you speak to the schools about places. Their websites should have a list of option blocks. If not, they can email you a copy. I think new arrivals to Dubai can start school at any time of the year - but hopefully other members can confirm this.
Latest post on 24 August 2014 - 13:40
Thank you very much ladies for all your replies. I will call and email all the schools mentioned. Is it like UK children can join any time of the year? So I can keep looking till I get the right place rather then take any offer. the kids will start school here (2 sept). Once again thank you all.
Latest post on 24 August 2014 - 12:28
There is always a lot of movement within the school, people leaving and arriving last minute. There are lots of new schools opening up too, it may be worth just ringing around this week and getting in contact with as many schools as possible, to see who can offer you a place, or even add yourself on a few waiting lists. Places often come up very last minute, when somebody doesn't return after the summer. King's are opening up two new schools, not sure what years that are opening up though. Nord Anglia, also a new school opening in September. I think there's a full of the schools on this website. Good Luck!
Latest post on 24 August 2014 - 11:24
You could also try GEMS schools, this is the link for their centralised admissions http://www.gemseducation.com/enrolment-and-central-registrations Good luck.
Latest post on 24 August 2014 - 09:28
If you want an overload of information you could look here http://whichschooladvisor.com/ some really useful and interesting articles.
Latest post on 24 August 2014 - 07:30
English college does british curriculum too . The schools will be opening this week so your hubby needs to get your kids names down . There will be people that don't return from vacation so the first two weeks of school the schools may be finding they have spaces and they get them on a daily basis . WSO has had some bad reviews , was originally a typical British curriculum school but is now IB and more vocational I think . Only been open three years and expanded every year and it's capacity will be 5000 students , so it is huge . My children didn't get on in the school because of the size unfortunately and I moved them to smaller schools with A Levels It doesn't matter if you don't get your children into the same school , there are school buses etc . You can move your children to other schools until Christmas if you are not happy with them . Concentrate on your older sons place as that is the most important at the moment as you generally are not allowed to move within dubai schools in yr 10/11 , they only except new children moving into Dubai Good luck
Latest post on 23 August 2014 - 23:42
You could try Star School, Umm Sheif. They have a relatively new secondary dept. so may still have places. They are taking admissions up to and including year 10.
Latest post on 23 August 2014 - 23:41
Thanks lolacat. We do have school allowances for 2 kids. Thy are following British curriculum. My son is doing French . They don't mind moving. Yes I m aware of the cost of living and the school My main problem is finding right school this late. Specially my son will be starting his gcse. Any feed back on WSO edited by Coco14 on 23/08/2014 It would not be my choice. The schools i listed are established and have proven results and always have good feedback. Jumeriah College is another you could try but tbh you are going to really struggle for year 10. Secondary schools (BC) are thin on the ground comparative to primaries. It really does matter in getting it right. There are some other schools but again they would not be my choice. The non profit schools are always hard to get into. There is also a site called which schools Dubai that could help. Another possibility is Nord Anglia for your younger two, it is a new school opening in September. French is a popular choice here so that should not be a problem for year 10 options. Another option is leaving him in uk with family for continuity or boarding school in the UK. You need to call every registrar and see if anything can be done.
Latest post on 23 August 2014 - 23:00
Hi. I don't know anything about WSO, so sorry can't help. Hopefully others can. Lolacat's list is a really good place to start. Expat Woman also has a list of schools in Dubai including contact detailsi: http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_faqs_school_fees_6135.aspxart Finding the "right" school at this time of the year may be tricky so it's worth calling the schools asap so that you'll know where you stand especially for your Y10 (not sure if all the offices are open). Some of them will require an entrance test so it could take more time than anticipated. Hopefully there may be the reverse situation with a family from Dubai leaving at short notice and creating a place for the year groups you're looking at. Good luck!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY