Do you agree with me.... | ExpatWoman.com

Do you agree with me....

Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 14:27
of all the good stores that the UK has; superdrug is not one of them. Next people will be asking for iceland or kwiksave !!!! .... and B&M Bargains or Poundstretcher lol ;) Just go to the dirham shop ;) There is a gem of a shop - sell all sorts of tat; its on the corner of plant street and satwa road ;)
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 14:22
of all the good stores that the UK has; superdrug is not one of them. Next people will be asking for iceland or kwiksave !!!! Or Poundland (5.80dhs land!) I know we've got the closest equivalent, Daiso, but they don't sell boxes of Maltesers or Toffifees for a quid. <em>edited by Made in Sheffield on 28/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 14:19
With regards to the import or fuel costs, it depends where the product is made. If it is made in China, for example, the goods would normally be delivered to a distribution center in China and then shipped to the relevant country. So items destined for the UK would cost more to ship than items to the UAE.
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 14:16
of all the good stores that the UK has; superdrug is not one of them. Next people will be asking for iceland or kwiksave !!!! .... and B&M Bargains or Poundstretcher lol ;)
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 14:10
of all the good stores that the UK has; superdrug is not one of them. Next people will be asking for iceland or kwiksave !!!!
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 14:09
more to creams / soaps than fragrence :) edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 28/08/2014 I just want a nice superdrug here lol or any place that can stock Simple and Superdrug own brands:) Then I'll be happy:)
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 14:01
more to creams / soaps than fragrence :) <em>edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 28/08/2014</em>
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 13:54
Rituals is sooooo overpriced! They have had a branch over here whcih they closed, so obviously it didn't work here. I like one of their hand cremes but I am not going to spend 10 euro on it. That's really not very expensive for good creams. It's a simple hand cream, nothing special. A relative of mine had a cheapo hand soap in the kitchen that smelled exactly like a rituals line. So it really isn't that spectacular.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 13:53
Marroosh I like browsing around Superdrug as well. Boots in my home town is huge (on two floors), you could spend half a day in there looking around, they sell everything apart from the kitchen sink. The tiny Boots branches over here do not compare. Maybe if they did open Superdrug, it would be the same as Boots branches, overpriced and understocked. I liked only the Exeter Boots branch, I don't think the ones I have been in the UK are much better than here. They just sell a lot of perfumes and high end cosmetics brands, stuff I don't buy anyway. Superdrug just has a very good own brand with stuff that the big brands have, only just a lot cheaper. Even if it's going to be more expensive here, it will still be a lot cheaper than the crazy priced brands that local pharmacies sell.
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 13:53
Rituals is sooooo overpriced! They have had a branch over here whcih they closed, so obviously it didn't work here. I like one of their hand cremes but I am not going to spend 10 euro on it. That's really not very expensive for good creams.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 13:50
Have a look at their website: http://www.superdrug.com/ I love them, went a bit crazy when I was in the UK :) Disagree!! Doesn't look appealing at all to me, sorry Marroosh. Now here's a store I stock up with while at home and would love to see in Dubai: http://eu.rituals.com/en-nl/home Rituals is sooooo overpriced! They have had a branch over here whcih they closed, so obviously it didn't work here. I like one of their hand cremes but I am not going to spend 10 euro on it.
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 13:31
Marroosh I like browsing around Superdrug as well. Boots in my home town is huge (on two floors), you could spend half a day in there looking around, they sell everything apart from the kitchen sink. The tiny Boots branches over here do not compare. Maybe if they did open Superdrug, it would be the same as Boots branches, overpriced and understocked.
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 12:42
CVS, Walgreen's, Rite Aid - We could use them here! Another good one is dm. I saw it all over Germany and loved going there!
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 12:24
Have a look at their website: http://www.superdrug.com/ I love them, went a bit crazy when I was in the UK :) Disagree!! Doesn't look appealing at all to me, sorry Marroosh. Now here's a store I stock up with while at home and would love to see in Dubai: http://eu.rituals.com/en-nl/home
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 11:51
That UAE needs a Superdrug? I love their skincare products, they're so cheap and always seem to be on sale! **Slams fists on table: We want Superdrug we want Superdrug!!!!** Agree Marroosh, 3 for 2 buy 1 get one free. There was great deal on the elnett heat spray which cost 5.99 it went down to 2.99!! I wanted to bring some back with me and they run out :(( Their makeup and makeup brushes a great too especially the real techniques range So yes! Superdrug all the way to Dubai please! Remember Marroosh if we have superdrugs here it wont be the same just like boots here really rubbish!
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 11:44
A couple of years ago I went to Debenhams at Ibn Battuta and saw some bras. The packaging stated that if you purchased the bras the matching briefs would be free. However, someone had attempted to hide the offer by crossing it out with a black marker! This had been done to every bra with this particular packaging. In hindsight I should have taken a photo and emailed head office. It's one thing getting ripped off with the inflated prices to start with but this tactic would be against company policy, surely?
Latest post on 27 August 2014 - 09:26
Marroosh hopefully one day we'll have Primark and Superdrug! I love all the defense retailers get here, its bizzare! I won't go about how they operate but they are ripping off consumers and suppliers here and at home. My family are suppliers (farmers), my DH works in FMCG. I am well aware of how it all operates. Simple product breakdown, if a product costs 100aed how much do you think the retailer gets?
Latest post on 27 August 2014 - 09:15
Also remember, that although the staff salaries are cheap you need to add on visa, flights, accommodation, gratuity etc. on to that. Trade licences are not cheap and if importing food it has to be checked it can be sold here. If you go one day over the inbuilt storage time at the docks then the storage fees are very high. Yes some shops are very expensive and take the mickey. I usually wait for sales or shop and ship.
Latest post on 27 August 2014 - 09:05
Imported items in Dubai are that much more expensive not because they are imported, but because the market is an oligopoly run by big family businesses (or in fact a monopoly if you are only intersted in one brand). Import costs and taxes etc. can be high in many places around the world; why would Armani or Brioni mens trousers made in Italy be at least 30% cheaper in the US than they are here? Same goes for most items. I can understand that peaches from Australia have to be more expoensive than peaches from Spain in the supermarket but that's where I stop justifying import costs.
Latest post on 27 August 2014 - 08:54
I saw a pair of pajamas in M&S recently. The UK price of £10 was still on the tag. The UAE price was AED 125. That's just just over £20!! That HAS to be greed, or everything would be double the price.
Latest post on 27 August 2014 - 08:32
not to mention import tax
Latest post on 27 August 2014 - 08:30
Importing it has nothing to do with it, On the contrary importing has EVERYTHING to do with it! Because fuel costs (one of the major contributing factors), the cost of transport to the destination etc are all factored in as well. Also depends whether a product is imported in bulk, or just a few pieces. Then overhead costs of the retailer are taken into account. Most products from the UK are priced higher in the UAE, than they are in the UK.
Latest post on 27 August 2014 - 07:35
I agree with Lolacat, wouldn't use Superdrug...Boots here bears no resemblance to the UK one, which is totally fab, always find the staff there brilliant... My one wish if we could bring something over here is a proper M&S food hall...!
Latest post on 27 August 2014 - 07:28
Do you agree with me.........? Very rarely and certainly not in this case! Agree with DT, never would step foot in the place if i could avoid when in UK. Boots is far superior and more than adequate, Dubai has great pharmacies why would you require any more?
Latest post on 27 August 2014 - 07:00
Not this tiem Marroosh - never shopped in Superdrug when i lived in the UK and for sure don't miss it now. Now if they brought over Sainsburys.... that would make me a happy camper :)
Latest post on 27 August 2014 - 04:23
I think Dubai can live without Superdrug - I think it's tacky, cheap n cheerful !! The staff are as miserable as sin, getting a bag is like pulling teeth and the store always looks like the cleaner didn't turn up (in my branch anyway)... sorry :(
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 26 August 2014 - 17:56
Oooh I'd like a superdrug! But fully stocked with the same brands as UK superdrug! Especially Simple and the Superdrug own brands... And Sleek cosmetics!
Latest post on 26 August 2014 - 17:44
Oooh I'd like a superdrug! But fully stocked with the same brands as UK superdrug!
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 26 August 2014 - 17:42
There is no VAT in Dubai, that should automatically make it cheaper here. Shop rents are higher but staff costs are lower, they charge more and people are willing to pay it. Importing it has nothing to do with it, most products have a far shorter journey coming to Dubai than to the UK. I'm not aware of superdrug but it would be great to have more choice. I live in hope to see the day Pennys/Primark arrives here! edited by mannikat on 26/08/2014 Have a look at their website: http://www.superdrug.com/ I love them, went a bit crazy when I was in the UK :)
Latest post on 26 August 2014 - 17:41
How's the journey shorter?? It has had to get to the UK first.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY