Rixos RAK | ExpatWoman.com

Rixos RAK

Latest post on 26 August 2014 - 18:53

anyone been? we are thinking of going this weekend, just wanted to know what the overall feeling is about this hotel and the all inclusive deal. i am trying to book online but it doesnt say at all whats included. i mean, i know its "all inclusive" but ... can someone shed some light please?

thanks so much

Latest post on 27 August 2014 - 17:07
When my DD went, between them and their friends, they had children ranging in age from eighteen months to twelve years. The 18-30 party atmosphere can be avoided. They stayed away from the main pool where all the activity was and just used the children's pool. They all had ground floor rooms and after dinner, when the youngest ones went to bed, they congregated in that room, had drinks from the bar and played games.
Latest post on 27 August 2014 - 14:01
i am off to Rixos in september from what my friends have said its a party hotel- my parents are over so looking after my LO as i dont think its a great place to take him. we have also stayed many times at the Hilton resort and spa with kids and its fantastic, i would chose that over rixos if travelling with kids.
Latest post on 27 August 2014 - 12:42
Hi My experience like Citizenette was it was very 18-30s party! The pool was full of groups and the sunloungers were packed in. The beach however was lovely. Nice and quiet with beds and cabanas available and plenty of shades/umbrellas. We hated the Oriental restaurant. We were served very poor Malaysian, Thai and Chinese dishes cooked by an Indian chef. Lunch was a shock. It was a snack menu (burger etc) served at the pool through a hatch in the wall. It really reminded me of Hi-De-Hi! Breakfast in the main dining area was very busy but it is a huge dining room and there was lots of choice. And other guests seemed happy with the dinner selection in the main room. We did enjoy the mojito bar drinks and the staff there worked hard to get people in. We sat outside next to the water though which worked its way around the resort. (not the pool) It was filthy and looked very unattractive. This was a shame as the rest of the hotel is actually very nice. Good quality furnishings, nice décor and spacious, comfortable rooms. We found the AI drinks to be good quality and good value with known brands. But I have had feedback since that they have changed. But even the mini bar is included and they will keep you stocked in M&Ms and Haribo bears! Service is slow and I consider it to be very badly organized. But overall I would say it's good value. If you go expecting the Waldorf Astoria you need to stay at the Waldorf Astoria, but if you go wanting a value for money trip in a good environment, it's well worth a go.
Latest post on 26 August 2014 - 21:06
@ ilovewine - after hearing such a negative report, DD went there with the same attitude as you, saying they would just have to make the best of it. They all had a great time and I hope you will find it OK too.
Latest post on 26 August 2014 - 20:53
thank you amelia. i suppose the only way to find out is to go!
Latest post on 26 August 2014 - 20:20
I know someone who went a couple of weekends ago and was not impressed with the food, service, etc. I did read that since then they have appointed a new head chef. My DD (who I can assure you is very fussy) went last weekend with her DH and three children. They went with friends, their three children and her parents also. DD was a bit apprehensive in view of what the party who had been the weekend before had reported, but she was pleasantly surprised. Good sized rooms, food was fine in the restaurants they used, plenty of free alcoholic drinks and 'fridges dotted around for you to help yourself to water and cans of coke, etc. She did say that the service could be a bit slow. The main pool was very busy and there was some noise going on there, but as they had six children with them they sat by the children's pool and didn't find the noise intrusive. There were also craft activities, etc. just by them for the children to enjoy as a change from the pool and there was a bar close by!! She would certainly go back. edited by amelia on 26/08/2014 <em>edited by amelia on 26/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 26 August 2014 - 20:18
I know someone who went a couple of weekends ago and was not impressed with the food, service, etc. I did read that since then they have appointed a new head chef. My DD (who I can assure you is very fussy) went last weekend with her DH and three children. They went with friends, their three children and her parents also. DD was a bit apprehensive in view of what the party who had been the weekend before had reported, but she was pleasantly surprised. Good sized rooms, food was fine, plenty of free alcoholic drinks and 'fridges dotted around for you to help yourself to water and cans of coke, etc. The only thing she criticised was that the service could be a bit slow. The main pool was very busy and there was some noise going on there, but as they had six children with them they sat by the splash pool and didn't find the noise intrusive. There were also craft activities, etc. just by them for the children to enjoy as a change from the pool. There was a bar close by!! She would certainly go back.
Latest post on 26 August 2014 - 19:44
thank you citizenette, we have a little one, so our idea of a party is to go to bed at 9pm :)
Latest post on 26 August 2014 - 19:40
We went the weekend before Eid. Wouldn't go back. If you're going for a full on party weekend then go ahead, otherwise a wide birth is recommended. It's full of groups of young expats which gives it a bit of an 18-30 holiday feel. For a relaxing weekend away was not good. Music at the pool is really loud. Food in the a la carte restaurants is good but getting a reservation is a pain, one desk for all the restaurants that you have to 'queue' at. The buffet restaurant is pretty average at best. The house wine included in the all inclusive was not good at all and the spirits are like the cheap ones you get in barracuda, definitely no known brands. Like I said though, if you just want to party with friends, it could be OK, if not steer clear.
Latest post on 26 August 2014 - 19:36
oh no, that doesnt sound good at all. thanks SueR, much appreciated.
Latest post on 26 August 2014 - 19:09
Sorry to tell you that my fried did this a couple of weekends ago and it was an all out disaster apparently. She has vowed never to go again. From what I remember, poor food, cheap nasty wine and no room at the pool. Maybe someone else has a more positive experience.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY