9 year old accidentally kills gun instructor | ExpatWoman.com

9 year old accidentally kills gun instructor

Latest post on 27 August 2014 - 13:07

wow - what parent would teach a 9 year old (boy or girl) to use an Uzi....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2734769/Arizona-girl-9-accidenta...

Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 16:00
What are you talking about? My last post was deleted almost instantaneously. I thought it was pretty benign...that's never happened to me on this forum.
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 14:30
Hmmmm.....don't know what I said that was offensive????????? What are you talking about?
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 14:12
Hmmmm.....don't know what I said that was offensive?????????
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 14:10
Australia has strict laws - bought about due to an incident at Port Arthur (Tasmania)in 1996. Most significant is the banning of all semi - automatic rifles and semi automatic / pump action shotguns. The main idea was that in a nutshell the average person doesn't require the above and that they can cause the most harm. And there hasn't been a mass shooting since! Obama has pointed to the Australian laws as the way forward for the US. Unlikely to happen though. <em>edited by Stix on 31/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 14:09
Australia has strict laws - bought about due to an incident at Port Arthur (Tasmania)in 1996. Most significant is the banning of all semi - automatic rifles and semi automatic / pump action shotguns. The main idea was that in a nutshell the average person doesn't require the above and that they can cause the most harm. I wish the USA would adopt Australia's border laws for one.
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 14:08
Americans love their guns. Nothing is ever going to change....
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 14:08
Australia has strict laws - bought about due to an incident at Port Arthur (Tasmania)in 1996. Most significant is the banning of all semi - automatic rifles and semi automatic / pump action shotguns. The main idea was that in a nutshell the average person doesn't require the above and that they can cause the most harm.
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 14:03
hangs head in shame - does oz hgave strict / lax laws? (thought you were kiwi) edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 31/08/2014 They got a lot stricter a few years ago after a mass shooting - the risk of dying by gunshot fell 50% as a result. I am a Kiwi but credit where credit is due to the Aussies!
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 13:57
Just look at US / UK gun crime figures then you wil see that stricter gun laws do work. Or look to Australia.... http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2014/07/10/australia-gun-laws http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/16/opinion/australia-gun-laws/ hangs head in shame - does oz hgave strict / lax laws? (thought you were kiwi) <em>edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 31/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 13:53
Just look at US / UK gun crime figures then you wil see that stricter gun laws do work. Or look to Australia.... http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2014/07/10/australia-gun-laws http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/16/opinion/australia-gun-laws/
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 13:42
I thought that statistically you are more likely to be killed by your own gun in a burgalry... Just look at US / UK gun crime figures then you wil see that stricter gun laws do work.
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 13:39
The thing is, psychopaths/murderers/drug addicts are still going to find a way to get guns in a country like the US, even if laws are passed to prohibit law abiding citizens from legally obtaining and owning them. That said, it's no wonder that some people do want to have firearms for protection, especially if they live in a high crime area and moving is not an option.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 00:27
There is no need for people to have guns. Way too many psychopaths end up with them. I find it crazy that children are being taught about guns, having a gun is not normal and not necessary. It should be forbidden full stop, everywhere.
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 00:04
I actually think gun handling and respect for firearms is a good thing to teach children - although definitely not with Uzis. I was taught to shoot a shotgun when I was eight. I don't remember much about the actual shooting but more about the gun safety I was taught at the time. I recall the instructor shooting an empty box of cartridges right next to us and it was obliterated and him showing me how to safety carry a gun, how to check the barrels are clear and most importantly to never point a gun at a person loaded or not. I also remember playing games with friends when I was young and me telling them not to point guns (even toy guns) at people and being mocked for it. But it was something that was completely drilled into me. When I was older and a neighbour had an air rifle and was being silly with it and all the other kids were so excited about a 'gun' I was only concerned about the safety, not at all thrilled like the other kids. I've never been tempted to take my father's guns out the safe when friends are round, not only because I would have been in big trouble but also because I've seen them, handled them so much it had no novelty factor. I've never had that sort of attitude towards guns. Children are always drawn to things that are forbidden, exciting and dangerous so in some ways teaching a child gun safety and handling is a way to mitigate this - especially if you are in a home where someone does keep, use and store guns. However an uzi does seem a little excessive for anyone to be playing around with, 9 year old or 49 year old. edited by RuthM on 31/08/2014 <em>edited by RuthM on 31/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 16:53
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2737205/Gun-girls-America-Innocent-faces-Pink-rifles-After-horrific-shooting-9-year-old-children-grip-nation-s-troubling-obsession.html
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 03:39
I won't even let my 10 year old boil a kettle . why not? Because he pays no attention to anything, isn't tall enough to reach the socket or lift a kettle of boiling water...frankly i'd rather make my own tea.
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 03:37
I won't even let my 10 year old boil a kettle ...sorry but the whole gun thing is a mystery to me and most people I know... From the video it's clear what happened and i'm sure anyone in their right mind should have realised, as someone already said, that there's no way a child that size would have the bodyweight required to cope with an automatic round... Tragic but sadly not really news any more... Really?? Tomorrow I take 20 girls off to Guide camp, many of them are 10 year olds and they will be doing what Guides have been doing for 105 years, cooking on open fires, heating water to make hot drinks and wash dishes, cutting up meat and veg and chopping wood to burn! Yes, really.
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 03:01
I won't even let my 10 year old boil a kettle ...sorry but the whole gun thing is a mystery to me and most people I know... From the video it's clear what happened and i'm sure anyone in their right mind should have realised, as someone already said, that there's no way a child that size would have the bodyweight required to cope with an automatic round... Tragic but sadly not really news any more... Really?? Tomorrow I take 20 girls off to Guide camp, many of them are 10 year olds and they will be doing what Guides have been doing for 105 years, cooking on open fires, heating water to make hot drinks and wash dishes, cutting up meat and veg and chopping wood to burn!
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 20:10
I won't even let my 10 year old boil a kettle . why not? Have you raised a 10 year old Izzy ;)......at times I fear for my klutzy 34 yr old and the kettle. Back on point, this whole thing is just so wrong on so many levels. I grew up around firearms and the protocol was so strict with no leeway. Personally I loathe them and to see them used by children in the news is just so sad. <em>edited by Nomad on 28/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 06:59
I won't even let my 10 year old boil a kettle . why not?
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 02:32
I won't even let my 10 year old boil a kettle ...sorry but the whole gun thing is a mystery to me and most people I know... From the video it's clear what happened and i'm sure anyone in their right mind should have realised, as someone already said, that there's no way a child that size would have the bodyweight required to cope with an automatic round... Tragic but sadly not really news any more...
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 00:34
http://www.amazon.com/Parents-Open-Carry-Brian-Jeffs/dp/1618081012/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1409171514&sr=1-1&keywords=my+parents+open+carry Have a look at this "children's" book listed in Amazon called "My Parents Open Carry" ... For a good laugh, have a look at the most helpful customer reviews ...
Latest post on 27 August 2014 - 21:05
The whole story is nuts, the instructor made a huge mistake and paid the price for it, sadly. It was what is known as a self inflicted injury.
Latest post on 27 August 2014 - 20:54
The whole story is nuts, the instructor made a huge mistake and paid the price for it, sadly.
Latest post on 27 August 2014 - 16:44
Guns *can* misfire or the safety can disengage in even the most trained hands, true. Guns *can* recoil in an unexpected fashion as we saw here, in dubious hands. But statistically speaking, intentional harm via guns (people killing people) accounts for far more deaths than accidents. In fact, both poison and motor vehicle accidents kill more people--and children--than firearm deaths (accidental and intentional). Not trying to stir the pot, it's just the facts. Via CDC in case anyone is wondering if this is just propaganda I am regurgitating. It's easy to break it down to statistics but if I had a loved one die due to a firearm accident I don't think I'd take much comfort from the fact that more people die from poison or motor accidents, it's a moot point. Putting an automatic weapon in the arms of a nine year old is an utterly ludicrous thing to do and as a result another child(ren) have lost their father. It is just so needless and preventable. Daza, in my immediately family and close circle of friends, there were tragic deaths with firearms involved. Heart-wrenching. There was also prevented imminent harm thanks to a firearm, but I don't consider myself a pro-gun freak, either. I was referring to an earlier comment "So many needless deaths due to gun accidents in the US with children..." Any senseless death is tragic, period. But statistically speaking, this is not a leading cause of children's or adults deaths compared to other causes. They do get the most media attention, though: media attention that uses tragedy to fuel and perpetuate debate that continues to divide the USA into "they" and "them." Hardly the only platform, but that is another story. As I said, this case is so tragic for both families affected. I could not agree more--- I do not understand any venue that allows children shooting uzis. I had never heard of such a thing and think it is ludicrous.
Latest post on 27 August 2014 - 16:43
My late DH was a combat veteran, US Special Forces in Vietnam. He did fire a weapon in earnest on many occasions and it haunted him for the rest of his life. However he taught both our children to use a gun but only for target shooting. It is an Olympic sport, and as such is acceptable, but only when practiced under appropriate guidance and rules. In this case there were obviously neither.
Latest post on 27 August 2014 - 16:37
I would go further to say, that there is no way a nine year old girl should have access to any type of gun, under supervision, or not. Surely it just gives them the totally wrong impression. And yes I know that if they want them in later life they'll get hold of one, but why encourage it?
Latest post on 27 August 2014 - 16:34
Statistics aside, there is no way that a nine year old should have anything more powerful than a BB gun, and that only under strict supervision. In this case, the parents are guilty of criminal negligence and the instructor of suicide. And though he may have been a veteran, not all members of the armed forces are combat veterans, nor are they merely by virtue of their army experience necessarily intelligent. This unfortunate man brought this on himself.
Latest post on 27 August 2014 - 16:28
Ladies, I don't want to upset anyone here and I do feel for the man's family but........he was a veteran. Why would someone who has probably seen this type of weapon fired in anger agree to teach a young child how to use one? <em>edited by Geordie expat on 27/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 27 August 2014 - 16:22
Guns *can* misfire or the safety can disengage in even the most trained hands, true. Guns *can* recoil in an unexpected fashion as we saw here, in dubious hands. But statistically speaking, intentional harm via guns (people killing people) accounts for far more deaths than accidents. In fact, both poison and motor vehicle accidents kill more people--and children--than firearm deaths (accidental and intentional). Not trying to stir the pot, it's just the facts. Via CDC in case anyone is wondering if this is just propaganda I am regurgitating. It's easy to break it down to statistics but if I had a loved one die due to a firearm accident I don't think I'd take much comfort from the fact that more people die from poison or motor accidents, it's a moot point. Putting an automatic weapon in the arms of a nine year old is an utterly ludicrous thing to do and as a result another child(ren) have lost their father. It is just so needless and preventable.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY