Flu Shots - Do they help? | ExpatWoman.com

Flu Shots - Do they help?

Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 09:06

I'm not very convinced but as my DH prepares for his yearly one next month, he is insisting my DS and I also go for it. To be fair, since he took his for the first time last year, he's not fallen sick, whereas before that he used to have this severe throat infection at least twice a year, where he used to lose his voice for a couple of days and had to go through an antibiotic course to get better.

We are as it is a healthy family with little or no sick days, unfortunately, my DS is currently down with a soar throat and fever which has kind of brought this discussion to fore.

I would like to hear from you lovely ladies your views and experiences, before I make a decision on this.

Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 11:05
Flu shots prevent flu - influenza. That's a very specific thing. The typical fever/headache/sore throat/runny nose kind of thing that lasts perhaps 2-3 days is *not* flu (although it has become common to refer to it, entirely erroneously, as flu) and the flu vaccine will not affect it. <em>edited by Madge_Gustard on 02/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 08:34
I think that when you get the odd flu or cold That's the problem, right there - we're used to referring to a few days of fever and headache with cough and running nose as "the flu", but it absolutely is *not* flu, it's just a non-specific short-term virus infection. Flu is very specific, very nasty and lays you out for typically 10-14 days. So are you saying the Flu shots don't help prevent that to some extent?
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 18:57
the next year (when I DID NOT have my flu shot) I got the worst flu of my entire life. I couldn't move for 2 full weeks and I never ever get sick To be strictly accurate, you didn't have "the worst flu of your entire life", you just had flu. Period. I think that when you get the odd flu or cold That's the problem, right there - we're used to referring to a few days of fever and headache with cough and running nose as "the flu", but it absolutely is *not* flu, it's just a non-specific short-term virus infection. Flu is very specific, very nasty and lays you out for typically 10-14 days.
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 18:40
When I worked for Cunard it was compulsory that all crew had a flu shot each year. I had the flu shot for 5 consecutive years and then, when I was done working on ships, I returned home, where the next year (when I DID NOT have my flu shot) I got the worst flu of my entire life. I couldn't move for 2 full weeks and I never ever get sick. It felt like I had 5 years of flu rolled into one horrid experience. Seriously, it was really bad. I think that when you get the odd flu or cold, you probably build up some sort of resilience. I had zero. All I can say, is that if you decide to go down the route of flu shots, you want to stick with it, year in, year out.
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 15:12
i didnt think that they help until i decided not to give it to my 8 year old last year....and boy how i regretted my decision later on...i cant wait for it to be available so i can give it to all my 3 kids !
Latest post on 30 August 2014 - 20:03
I'm not very convinced but as my DH prepares for his yearly one next month, he is insisting my DS and I also go for it. To be fair, since he took his for the first time last year, he's not fallen sick, whereas before that he used to have this severe throat infection at least twice a year, where he used to lose his voice for a couple of days and had to [b'>go through an antibiotic course to get better[/b'>. We are as it is a healthy family with little or no sick days, unfortunately, my DS is currently down with a soar throat and fever which has kind of brought this discussion to fore. I would like to hear from you lovely ladies your views and experiences, before I make a decision on this. Slight tangent, but I feel the need to point out that viruses and bacterial infections are entirely different things. Vaccines are used to prevent viruses (such as the flu) whereas antibiotics are used to treat bacterial infections. Vaccines [i'>cannot[/i'> prevent bacterial infections and antibiotics [i'>cannot[/i'> treat viruses. I am amazed by how many doctors here are so quick to prescribe antibiotics for every little sniffle and sore throat, especially when there is no evidence of a bacterial infection. Antibiotics are harmful and should only be taken when there is evidence of a bacterial infection that won't go away on its own.
Latest post on 30 August 2014 - 15:15
What if you get the flu shot only to end up catching a different strain ? How would getting a flu jab help ? The chances are that you *won't* catch a different strain. There is proper science and research behind the annual selection of the three viruses that are used in the seasonal flu vaccine - start reading [url=http://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/vaccination/virusqa.htm'>here[/url'>. And yes, even if you do catch a different strain, the vaccine will likely provide some measure of protection to prevent it being as serious as it could otherwise be. <em>edited by Madge_Gustard on 30/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 19:34
Surely your daughter was recommended the flu jab not because it would do anything about her asthma, but to help prevent her catching the flu, which could be potentially more dangerous for her since she's young *and* asthmatic? It was presented to me as something that asthmatics need to have and I was also told by others that their children stopped getting sick so much after they had the shot. Now I just see it as a moneymaking gimmick.... edited by AnonDubai on 28/08/2014 In the UK the flu vaccine is recommended for the elderly............and everyone with underlying health issues. I too never bothered about the flu shot until it started to run its course through our entire family. My one son has severe asthma and he would land up in hospital yearly during flu season. Ever since he and the entire family have the shot there has been a vast improvement in the severity of his attacks when the flu is doing the rounds. Personally since having the shot for the past few years I do not get nearly as ill with the flu as I used to.
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 19:03
To mumcurious - the flu vaccine prevents flu. A sore throat and a lost voice for a few days isn't flu. The actual proper flu the vaccine guards against is extremely unpleasant and typically confines people to bed with a raging fever for up to 10 days. What if you get the flu shot only to end up catching a different strain ? How would getting a flu jab help ?
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 18:32
How about we let everyone make an informed decision on what is best for their family without passing of others for dumb because they don't make the decision you think is correct? Op I have no opinion for you, just disliking the tone of some here. The key word here is "informed".
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 17:50
The way the OP worded her post, she seemed to be under the impression that the flu shot would prevent asthma attacks, which of course it won't. The doctor will have recommended it to prevent flu, which is obviously more dangerous in the young, even more so if they suffer from a condition like asthma.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 16:58
How about we let everyone make an informed decision on what is best for their family without passing of others for dumb because they don't make the decision you think is correct? Op I have no opinion for you, just disliking the tone of some here.
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 16:32
Surely your daughter was recommended the flu jab not because it would do anything about her asthma, but to help prevent her catching the flu, which could be potentially more dangerous for her since she's young *and* asthmatic? It was presented to me as something that asthmatics need to have and I was also told by others that their children stopped getting sick so much after they had the shot. Now I just see it as a moneymaking gimmick.... edited by AnonDubai on 28/08/2014 In the UK the flu vaccine is recommended for the elderly............and everyone with underlying health issues. Of course it will not affect those health issues, but will protect against flu which might exacerbate the existing problems. I can't even begin to understand why you would not take advantage of the protection offered, against a very unpleasant illness which can have catastrophic consequences. Flu is not a sore throat and a few days of sniffles.
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 15:30
Surely your daughter was recommended the flu jab not because it would do anything about her asthma, but to help prevent her catching the flu, which could be potentially more dangerous for her since she's young *and* asthmatic? It was presented to me as something that asthmatics need to have and I was also told by others that their children stopped getting sick so much after they had the shot. Now I just see it as a moneymaking gimmick.... <em>edited by AnonDubai on 28/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 14:25
Agree with previous comment. Flu vaccine prevents from Influenza (which is not common cold or similar viral infection). Flu is a very nasty disease with potential complications and no antibiotics can cure it.
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 13:19
To mumcurious - the flu vaccine prevents flu. A sore throat and a lost voice for a few days isn't flu. The actual proper flu the vaccine guards against is extremely unpleasant and typically confines people to bed with a raging fever for up to 10 days.
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 13:14
Surely your daughter was recommended the flu jab not because it would do anything about her asthma, but to help prevent her catching the flu, which could be potentially more dangerous for her since she's young *and* asthmatic?
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 11:06
I was advised to get it for my DD who was 3 at the time because she was asthmatic. She had it in September 2012 and again a month later (because it was her first time) and she still had an asthma attack in that year. She did not get it last September and she won't be getting it again. Generally, al hamdulillah, my family is healthy and I don't see the need for it...
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 10:18
While it seems to work for many people, one thing to bear in mind is that there are hundreds of strains of the flu virus. The jab relies on the scientists picking the right one for that particular time. Hit and miss really.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY