Whatsapp | ExpatWoman.com

Whatsapp

Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 08:17
I bought a router and now have wifi [img'>http://s7.postimg.org/rw5s1qfqv/eccon_Thank_You_Laugh.gif[/img'> [img'>http://www.pic4ever.com/images/19.gif[/img'>
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 07:40
I bought a router and now have wifi [img'>http://s7.postimg.org/rw5s1qfqv/eccon_Thank_You_Laugh.gif[/img'>
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 12:48
I will get a Belkin then. What you said makes sense SL :) LovelyLilies I have Samsung Galaxy, it's pretty new (10 months old), I will have a look at the settings. Buy a router from anywhere-- will cost you around 100-200 first plug in into your PC to do settings (LAN cable coming from wall will go into router) and choose PW once done then directly connect router to wall socket with LAN cable Check your Cell phone/PC/TV for wireless signals ( like 4-5 bars) , press connect and it will ask for PW,type same PW you choose.. You have got 'WiFi" :) Thanks, hopefully it'll be that easy. Am off to C4 on Wed, so will pick one up then :)
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 11:18
I will get a Belkin then. What you said makes sense SL :) LovelyLilies I have Samsung Galaxy, it's pretty new (10 months old), I will have a look at the settings. Buy a router from anywhere-- will cost you around 100-200 first plug in into your PC to do settings (LAN cable coming from wall will go into router) and choose PW once done then directly connect router to wall socket with LAN cable Check your Cell phone/PC/TV for wireless signals ( like 4-5 bars) , press connect and it will ask for PW,type same PW you choose.. You have got 'WiFi" :)
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 11:15
The new galaxy will pick up the Wifi easily Just remember to set a password for the WIFI so neighbours cant get onto it :-)
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 11:08
I will get a Belkin then. What you said makes sense SL :) LovelyLilies I have Samsung Galaxy, it's pretty new (10 months old), I will have a look at the settings.
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 11:03
Belkin is a good make of router and very reasonable. All I will say is make sure it is strong enough if you want to use it in more than one room. We have two routers in our villa, one for upstairs and one for down.
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 11:02
The older phone might not pick up wifi automatically, and you may need to connect manually. My phone connects to home wifi automatically and stops using data but everytime i leave the house the data package kicks in. I had to set this up when I first got the phone however. AED50 seems a bit steep for 100mb. I use etisalat and get a monthly data package 1GB for AED99. And it does not include calls&sms. First I tried 20mb a week and it was sufficient, I get loads of emails, use whatsapp daily, facebook, twitter etc.
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 11:01
Which is a cheap router to buy from C4 that will serve the purpose. SarahLou mentioned Belkin.. Beebers what happens if you have wifi on, but mobile data off, will the messages not get through then? If you are in a WIFI area and have the WIFI switched on your will get all your messages If you are in work etc with no WIFI you need to mobile data switched on to get your messages I hope this makes sense. Although I have WIFI at home (Primarily to download TV stuff etc) I have a mobile data plan with my phone for when I am out of a WIFI area
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 10:57
Which is a cheap router to buy from C4 that will serve the purpose. SarahLou mentioned Belkin.. Beebers what happens if you have wifi on, but mobile data off, will the messages not get through then?
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 10:54
Yes your phone will pick up the WiFi when you're at home Right. In the settings on your phone, just make sure you have both the wifi and the data in the "on" position. I have an HTC, not sure what you do, but I think smartphones are mostly the same. It will pull off wifi when that option is available, and only pull off the data when wifi is not available.
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 10:50
Yes your phone will pick up the WiFi when you're at home
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 10:47
If I buy one of these routers, can I get wifi on telephone as well as laptop then? Does that mean you just change your settings on Whatsapp to accept only chats and pictures from wifi and you don't have to pay for any extra bundles. SarahLou, my laptop is in the mains as well. I had no clue, you live and learn :)
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 10:36
We've had wifi with du for over 4 years. Yep, just buy the cheap router and presto :) In our current place, we have one router, but two wifi networks. One for each side of the flat so the reception is always really good. How we did this, no idea. That is DH's department.
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 10:26
Alismum, if you have the Broadband, talk surf and watch then you have wifi at home. When the wifi was originally set up you should have set it up with a passkey and this is what is needed to log in to your wifi. If you don't know your wifi passkey then I suggest getting in touch with DU to reset it for you. Wifi at home would then be included in your monthly package and no need to pay for expensive data bundles. Really!, I have had this package for about 5 years now and the guy never said anything about wifi. I will nip to DU then as I need to pay the bill anyway. I will ask them. Thank you ladies, it's amazing what info you can get on here, am so grateful. edited by Alismum on 27/10/2014 I have only recently set mine up. Before it was lead from the laptop into the wall :-)
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 10:25
We did the same as SarahLou, bought the router and just followed the instructions. As far as I am aware DU don't actually support WiFi, or they didn't a year or so ago. It's all up to you to sort it.
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 10:20
Alismum, if you have the Broadband, talk surf and watch then you have wifi at home. When the wifi was originally set up you should have set it up with a passkey and this is what is needed to log in to your wifi. If you don't know your wifi passkey then I suggest getting in touch with DU to reset it for you. Wifi at home would then be included in your monthly package and no need to pay for expensive data bundles. Really!, I have had this package for about 5 years now and the guy never said anything about wifi. I will nip to DU then as I need to pay the bill anyway. I will ask them. Thank you ladies, it's amazing what info you can get on here, am so grateful. <em>edited by Alismum on 27/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 10:19
Alismum, if you have the Broadband, talk surf and watch then you have wifi at home. When the wifi was originally set up you should have set it up with a passkey and this is what is needed to log in to your wifi. If you don't know your wifi passkey then I suggest getting in touch with DU to reset it for you. Wifi at home would then be included in your monthly package and no need to pay for expensive data bundles. Am I being dim but don't you need a router for WIFI? Before I had WIFI I could use the internet but the lead went from the wall to the laptop, if that makes sense In order to have WIFI in the house I had to buy a router. I am not very IT savvy ha :-)
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 10:18
I managed to do mine myself I bought a Belkin one from Carrefour and followed the instructions
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 10:17
AM, that is a good idea to buy the pre-paid data packages for du. With Etisilat, I just punch in a code to subscribe every week and it pulls from the credits on my phone. I have a du data card for my iPad (haven't used it in ages) and if memory serves, the 50 dhs option for 100MB was the best deal. The 20MB did not get far. If you get the 50 dhs/100MB package, it automatically expires in 30 days or upon using all the 100MB, whichever occurs first. I'm in the marina also, and have a combo package with du for the house, with wifi. Had they told you when you signed up that they didn't offer wifi in this area, or am I misunderstanding you? There is wifi here Beebers, but I don't think it's part of my package. Perhaps it's a separate payment. When I turn on my wireless on the laptop it asks for a passkey I have the broadband Talk, Surf and Watch. Have you got a router in the house? pick one up and you can have WIFI I also have surf, talk and watch package and use WIFI in the house Thanks Sarah, is it easy to set up if I buy one. Maybe all this time I could have had wifi at home and I didn't know it.
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 10:15
Alismum, if you have the Broadband, talk surf and watch then you have wifi at home. When the wifi was originally set up you should have set it up with a passkey and this is what is needed to log in to your wifi. If you don't know your wifi passkey then I suggest getting in touch with DU to reset it for you. Wifi at home would then be included in your monthly package and no need to pay for expensive data bundles.
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 10:11
AM, that is a good idea to buy the pre-paid data packages for du. With Etisilat, I just punch in a code to subscribe every week and it pulls from the credits on my phone. I have a du data card for my iPad (haven't used it in ages) and if memory serves, the 50 dhs option for 100MB was the best deal. The 20MB did not get far. If you get the 50 dhs/100MB package, it automatically expires in 30 days or upon using all the 100MB, whichever occurs first. I'm in the marina also, and have a combo package with du for the house, with wifi. Had they told you when you signed up that they didn't offer wifi in this area, or am I misunderstanding you? There is wifi here Beebers, but I don't think it's part of my package. Perhaps it's a separate payment. When I turn on my wireless on the laptop it asks for a passkey I have the broadband Talk, Surf and Watch. Have you got a router in the house? pick one up and you can have WIFI I also have surf, talk and watch package and use WIFI in the house
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 10:09
AM, that is a good idea to buy the pre-paid data packages for du. With Etisilat, I just punch in a code to subscribe every week and it pulls from the credits on my phone. I have a du data card for my iPad (haven't used it in ages) and if memory serves, the 50 dhs option for 100MB was the best deal. The 20MB did not get far. If you get the 50 dhs/100MB package, it automatically expires in 30 days or upon using all the 100MB, whichever occurs first. I'm in the marina also, and have a combo package with du for the house, with wifi. Had they told you when you signed up that they didn't offer wifi in this area, or am I misunderstanding you? There is wifi here Beebers, but I don't think it's part of my package. Perhaps it's a separate payment. When I turn on my wireless on the laptop it asks for a passkey I have the broadband Talk, Surf and Watch.
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 09:59
AM, that is a good idea to buy the pre-paid data packages for du. With Etisilat, I just punch in a code to subscribe every week and it pulls from the credits on my phone. I have a du data card for my iPad (haven't used it in ages) and if memory serves, the 50 dhs option for 100MB was the best deal. The 20MB did not get far. If you get the 50 dhs/100MB package, it automatically expires in 30 days or upon using all the 100MB, whichever occurs first. I'm in the marina also, and have a combo package with du for the house, with wifi. Had they told you when you signed up that they didn't offer wifi in this area, or am I misunderstanding you?
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 09:58
Thanks ladies I have one of those TV, PC and Phone DU Home packages, no free wifi in this area (Marina/JBR). Beebers, I don't have Etisalat, but did have a quick look at DU (since you mentioned your package) and have just seen that a data bundle is 20Dirhams per month for upto 40MB and 50Dirhams for 100MB. Maybe I can just buy a 20 Dirham top up card and put the credit on as Data rather than more time. Is that what you do with Etisalat. Does 40MB go far? I don't use my phone for any social networking or accessing internet, I don't have FB or anything like that. I am a bit behind the times really ;) Just need it to text a few family members and receive some photos. Starbucks and Costa have free wifi. Just ask them for a card and you can log onto their network. Also if I join a group on whatsapp and there are a few chat messages coming through for mum meetups, does that mean that the chats won't come to me until I go to a wifi area (like Starbucks etc). If you change the settings as recommended below - I believe so.
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 09:51
Thanks ladies I have one of those TV, PC and Phone DU Home packages, no free wifi in this area (Marina/JBR). Beebers, I don't have Etisalat, but did have a quick look at DU (since you mentioned your package) and have just seen that a data bundle is 20Dirhams per month for upto 40MB and 50Dirhams for 100MB. Maybe I can just buy a 20 Dirham top up card and put the credit on as Data rather than more time. Is that what you do with Etisalat. Does 40MB go far? I don't use my phone for any social networking or accessing internet, I don't have FB or anything like that. I am a bit behind the times really ;) Just need it to text a few family members and receive some photos. Starbucks and Costa have free wifi. Just ask them for a card and you can log onto their network. Also if I join a group on whatsapp and there are a few chat messages coming through for mum meetups, does that mean that the chats won't come to me until I go to a wifi area (like Starbucks etc).
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 09:46
Thanks ladies I have one of those TV, PC and Phone DU Home packages, no free wifi in this area (Marina/JBR). Beebers, I don't have Etisalat, but did have a quick look at DU (since you mentioned your package) and have just seen that a data bundle is 20Dirhams per month for upto 40MB and 50Dirhams for 100MB. Maybe I can just buy a 20 Dirham top up card and put the credit on as Data rather than more time. Is that what you do with Etisalat. Does 40MB go far? I don't use my phone for any social networking or accessing internet, I don't have FB or anything like that. I am a bit behind the times really ;) Just need it to text a few family members and receive some photos. Starbucks and Costa have free wifi. Just ask them for a card and you can log onto their network.
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 09:44
Hi To avoid Whatsapp images and videos automatically downloading, go on Settings &gt; Chat Settings and choose Wi-fi for all the media. That way it will only use a wireless network (when available) to automatically download incoming pics and videos, wont waste your cellular data/credit unless you choose to download it yourself. OK am going to have a look at the settings now, thanks.
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 09:43
Thanks ladies I have one of those TV, PC and Phone DU Home packages, no free wifi in this area (Marina/JBR). Beebers, I don't have Etisalat, but did have a quick look at DU (since you mentioned your package) and have just seen that a data bundle is 20Dirhams per month for upto 40MB and 50Dirhams for 100MB. Maybe I can just buy a 20 Dirham top up card and put the credit on as Data rather than more time. Is that what you do with Etisalat. Does 40MB go far? I don't use my phone for any social networking or accessing internet, I don't have FB or anything like that. I am a bit behind the times really ;) Just need it to text a few family members and receive some photos.
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 09:43
Hi To avoid Whatsapp images and videos automatically downloading, go on Settings &gt; Chat Settings and choose Wi-fi for all the media. That way it will only use a wireless network (when available) to automatically download incoming pics and videos, wont waste your cellular data/credit unless you choose to download it yourself.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY