New to Dubai - what to do on weekends | ExpatWoman.com

New to Dubai - what to do on weekends

Latest post on 30 August 2014 - 10:14
Thanks everyone! Will definitely try all your ideas.
Latest post on 30 August 2014 - 06:59
Bit of a tricky time of year as it's hot, but also a great opportunity for you to get out and explore the UAE by car :) - Al Ain Zoo is a really nice wildlife park (check if the night zoo timings are still running, it opens at 4pm. Very cheap to get in (10-15 AED) and from 4pm onwards it's quite bearable. Food options inside are not great so you'll see lots of people picnicking with big pots of biryani etc :) - Loads of museums and centres in Sharjah including aquarium, wildlife centre etc, all very reasonably priced - Sharjah blue souk is nice for a walk around - Have a wander around Dubai's older areas. The creek area and abra ride will cost you a dirham each to get from one side to the other, you can explore the spice souk, textile souq etc, again from around 5pm it will be much cooler. There are a few nice restaurants right on the water and watching the world go by at mosque time is lovely. :) - Take a drive over to the other Emirates, you can drive to Fujeirah/Khor Fa Khan by heading towards Hatta and then taking a left turn through the mountain tunnels out to the other side, it's a really nice drive and gives you a different perspective with deserts, mountains, sea views etc. Stop for lunch at the Hatta Fort Hotel which has been around for a long time and which hasn't changed much! - Hatta also has a Heritage Village but doesn't open til around 4pm - Jebel Hafeet is one of the highest mountains in the UAE, nice for a drive in the summer when there's not much else to do, take a drive to the top and have some chai and enjoy the view! - Going out in to the desert at this time of year is nice, if you go in the early evening take a picnic and enjoy, make sure there is more than one car though if you are venturing out. Have fun exploring the UAE!
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 19:23
No we did not stay overnight. That Oceanic Khor Fakkan has a great location to the beach I spoke about and I have seen deals on Groupn for it. There are other posts on these areas that could say more about the hotels in these areas. There are 2 Rotanas in the area which we have stayed in Rotanas and never had a bad experience. There was a nice Hilton that had chalets and their own private beach area. I guess it just depends how much you want to spend. And if you want to be in one town or the other. They are not that far of a drive.
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 19:23
No we did not stay overnight. That Oceanic Khor Fakkan has a great location to the beach I spoke about and I have seen deals on Groupn for it. There are other posts on these areas that could say more about the hotels in these areas. There are 2 Rotanas in the area which we have stayed in Rotanas and never had a bad experience. There was a nice Hilton that had chalets and their own private beach area. I guess it just depends how much you want to spend. And if you want to be in one town or the other. They are not that far of a drive.
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 08:44
My boys liked Children City, not sure what is is like now as that was quite a few years ago. It's at creekside park http://www.childrencity.dm.gov.ae/wps/portal/childrencity
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 02:31
We went to Fujeirah, Khor Fakkan, Masafi, and Dibba. Drive was nice, temp dropped 10 degrees, and there is a nice beach in khor fakkan. It had swings for kids and they could put their feet in the water. There was a nice breeze, beautiful. There was another park across the street eith other things but did not stop. This is near Oceanic Khor Fakkan hotel. We drove too long and missed Fujeirah museum which also has a castle which looked fun, but sun went down and we missed our chance. We will definitely go back. Al Ain and Ras al Khaimah are nice drives but do not know if it gets cooler there or not. Only have gone in December. Umm Zaina, did you spend the night there, if so, where would you recommend?
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 02:29
Thanks everyone, appreciate all your ideas. Daza, do you go to the coffee mornings? I'd love to meet new people with children the same age as mine. I can't wait to try all your ideas. I've been to atlantis already, that was fun. We live in JBR, we've been going to The Beach a lot and they have a nice playground there as well. Everything else has been mall, mall, mall :)
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 20:36
Welcome! It might be a bit much if you are still acclimatising but you could try the beach before breakfast or in the evening. Beach clubs often have good deals this time of year, with chilled swimming pools it's easy to cool down. The water parks are fun, Wild Wadi, Aquaventure, Dreamland etc. Sharjah Wildlife Centre is good, my children are the same age as yours, they really enjoy it. Just wait, the weather will cool down soon and there will be loads to do and explore. The mall will be a distant memory in no time :)
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 20:20
Yas waterpark or take the monorail to Atlantis. Modhesh world. Movies. Bowling. Children's city. Little explorers. A family brunch. Mini golf. Wafi mall has a nice indoor playground. Time out kids magazine has list of ideas too.
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 20:10
The childrens water play area at Mirdiff city centre is fun for little ones. You could also take them to Bounce the indoor trampolines, not sure what time they have for little people. Unfortunately everything costs, not cheap to entertain kids. Just checked mini bouncers age 3-5 are 10 and 11am, over 5 or 110cm are the same time. Www.bounce.ae you need to book. <em>edited by TimTam on 28/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 20:04
We went to Fujeirah, Khor Fakkan, Masafi, and Dibba. Drive was nice, temp dropped 10 degrees, and there is a nice beach in khor fakkan. It had swings for kids and they could put their feet in the water. There was a nice breeze, beautiful. There was another park across the street eith other things but did not stop. This is near Oceanic Khor Fakkan hotel. We drove too long and missed Fujeirah museum which also has a castle which looked fun, but sun went down and we missed our chance. We will definitely go back. Al Ain and Ras al Khaimah are nice drives but do not know if it gets cooler there or not. Only have gone in December.
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 19:51
Just moved here a couple of weeks ago from NYC and was wondering what everyone did on the weekends with the kids. I have two LO's 6 and 4. We've been going to the mall because it's too hot for anything else. Ideas, please?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY