Rent a car/ buy a car/ taxi?? | ExpatWoman.com

Rent a car/ buy a car/ taxi??

Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 02:16

Hi Ladies,

What do you all do for transport? I am looking to move to Dubai and was wondering what the best method would be to get to work and travel on the weekends?

I know taxis are relatively cheap from my trips to Dubai but was wondering how they compare with other methods for the commute

Thanks,
Sam

Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 21:41
I would have a think about using the metro rather than driving if it's convenient. I drove here for 3 years then got rid of the car and just used the metro (with the occasional taxi) for 3 years. I found it absolutely brilliant and dirt cheap even using gold class. Far, far cheaper than having a car. Of course you have to live near one metro station and work near another but if you're living/working in Media City or Tecom it's perfect. (It's also really good exercise which you don't normally get here.) Now I have a car again and yes, it's convenient, but I'm very lucky that my husband is a car enthusiast who knows lots about all things motoring- he was able to buy us a good value second hand car that didn't fall apart or need huge amounts of maintenance. (And even still we've had to get work done every couple of months on it, which adds up. There's always something like an indicator bulb or a headlamp, etc.) Buying a second hand car isn't so great if the AC packs up within a week of you buying it (which has happened to at least three friends of mine), and if you don't know much about cars and have to negotiate with rip-off mechanics. If the metro isn't an option it might be a good idea to lease a car for a couple of months and see how you get on. Just my tuppence worth. P.S. 8500 per month for your own one bed apartment and all bills included would be great, in my view. I haven't come across many serviced apartments for that rate. (But maybe I'm out of touch. I rented serviced one-beds in 2010 and couldn't get any cheaper than 9000 dirhams- and that was post-crash.)
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 15:49
The ones I was looking at were at the marina so they were more expesive than some of the others I have been looking at. Everything you've been saying seems to be tallying up with the budget i've done so looks like im on the right track :)
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 14:40
Hi SamHDbrows The Apartment seems expensive, you can rent a one bedroom apartment for much less, but it does depend on where you are staying, the bills are DEWA which is your combined ( Electric, water, Council tax), phone bill normally more than the UK about double in my view, petrol, car (maybe worth getting a rent to start with for 1-2 months to know how to drive in Dubai, and it is not easy) Food is not that expensive and taxis are not that expensive. tv is free view or via Du or etisalat or OSN and other satellite TV providers, it is just about ok compared to UK. petrol is much cheaper though. Hope all goes well with your relocation
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 14:27
I find good quality food here expensive compared to UK however it all depends where you shop. UK branded food is more expensive than home and my food bill is far higher here Car insurance and registration is paid once a year here. You can't pay monthly for this Gym memberships are ridiculously overpriced however most buildings have their own gyms Alcohol is more expensive than the UK and to buy it in Dubai you need an alcohol licence. Petrol dirt cheap, internet,tv around AED300 a month Serviced apartments are good to stay at initially as it's all in. For an apartment of your own you will need plenty of cash upfront for deposits and rent My outgoings as a single person are Rent 7000 a month Food, toiletries 1000 a month Petrol and Salic 400 a month Dewa 500 a month includes housing Internet, phone and tv 305 a month basic package on tv Hair and mani pedi 500 a month I rarely buy clothes here, I wait for the online sales and use shop and ship A night out without food in a decent bar expect to spend 500
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 14:15
Great i'll have a look, what about insurance? I've been looking on there at appartments, I think to start with im going to get one of the monthly rentals for about 8500 a month with bills inclusive - or would you advise against that? Can you think of any other hidden costs I should be adding into my budget apart from the usual, rent, car/petrol, phone and food such a tv licence, coucil tax, car tax, etc like in the UK?
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 14:00
Cars and fuel are very cheap here comparatively... check dubizzle.com for second hand cars. Food is also cheap so don't worry. Only thing expensive here is accommodation. At least I find it expense.
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 13:41
Thanks for that ladies! What are the car prices like out there to buy just a standard second hand car nothing fancy as I know what the driving is like out there and it's fair to say it'll probably get a few bumps! I have a Ford KA in the UK as I only like 10 mins away from work and it's served me very well. Also, on a side note, what are the food prices like in the supermarkets? I have always eaten in restuarants out there so would be a help to get an idea of what my food bill would be like. I don't each too much and it will be just me. On a typical day here i'd have a bowl of cereal for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and a chicken or prawn salad for dinner and some fruit inbetween.
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 12:14
Buy a car for weekdays.. taxis for weekends to avoid traffic and long waiting in the parking lots.. this is what I do..
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 07:25
I have my own car. It really depends where you live and where you work. If you live and work near the metro, you might not need a car. But that is only if you live and work really close to a metro station. It is really hot in this country and you will sweat half the year if you need to walk outside for more than a few minutes. I wouldn't mind taking taxis occasionally but I wouldn't want to put up with them on a daily basis. They are not very reliable and their driving standards are often poor. So, IMO, you will need to buy a car if you are a Westerner. If you are not, then your company will probably provide transportation.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY