Possible return to Dubai | ExpatWoman.com

Possible return to Dubai

Latest post on 30 August 2014 - 05:36

Hi Admin! Thanks for adding me :-)

Hi everyone! As I've said, we are looking at returning to Dubai. My partner has been offered what we think is a good package but id love to do some research before we accept. So I hope you ladies can help me out please. Ill break up my questions to make it a bit easier:

Accommodation - The office is based near the Fairmont so on SZR. We would like to be within walking distance or at least on the Metro line (if its reliable). At the moment a 3 bed apartment with maybe maids accommodation would be the way to go. Any idea on current rentals in that vicinity? And cost?

Education - We have 2 daughters, the eldest who is in pre-prep at a Steiner school in Brisbane, Australia. We want to continue Steiner based education as much as possible. Ive been searching and have found a group called the Acaciawood Initiative but can't get any contact with them. Is there anyone who can put me in touch with them please? Or know of any other such groups/schools?

Private health insurance - the package doesn't cover dental and optical. I can't understand why. We had that cover last time. So what companies are good that I can shop around for?

Utilities - approx average costs?

Food - we ate out 90% of the time last time haha I have no idea how much we spent back then. What is an average cost? Also is the Organic Cafe still around or other organic fruit, veg and meat shops? And just on food are there Paleo cafes etc? :-)

So basically we are trying to ascertain the cost of living there.

Thanks in advance :-)

Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 08:45
we used to stay on that strip too and the older buildings on that strip are bigger and cheaper than most of the newer ones... the tower we were staying in was called Skyline Residence (smack in between the Four Points Sheraton Hotel and Towers Rotana Hotel)... we were only paying 90K for a large spacious 3 bedroom plus maids room... they recently upped the rent to 130K (which is why we moved!)... but its a lovely building and very very very spacious with all amenities such as pool, squash court, party hall, etc. The property was managed by Jumeirah Real Estate so try giving them a call... welcome back (in advance!)
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 02:23
Greenhearts looks good. Thanks Tattie Bogle! :-)
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 02:10
Thanks MissMoiselle ill send them an email :-)
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 02:07
Mumto2 thanks for the info. We used to live along there too. I think we used to pay AED144k down to AED120K for a 2 bed so 3 bed plus maid sounds very reasonable.
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 02:04
Thanks very much Cherry ripe. I appreciate your help :-)
Latest post on 30 August 2014 - 20:18
I have passed it on to my friend. You can remove your email from this thread if you want. Let me know if you havent heard within a week, it's the start of the school year here so they are all very busy at the moment.
Latest post on 30 August 2014 - 18:22
Hi Cherry ripe my email is onefortheroad78atgmaildotcom. I hope this is ok and thanks very much.
Latest post on 30 August 2014 - 18:05
There is also Business Bay to consider for an area to live, close to the metro but is also an up and coming area with shops, grocery stores and restaurants. Google Bay Avenue for more information The organic shop has now opened up in the Village Mall on Beach Road Dubai does have a lot more organic options now, including the change initiative The entertainer books will save you and your family loads if you want to eat out 4x a week, but eating out has got very expensive sadly :(
Latest post on 30 August 2014 - 17:13
Hi busy247 Re schools for your children, I second tatie boggle on the widad learning centre. Their website is widadlearning.com, they are a Waldorf inspired school and it's definitely worth having a look if you want your children to continue on a Steiner-related path. The school is lovely and Nicole and yasmine (the founders) are always happy to help and answer any questions you might have. Hth
Latest post on 30 August 2014 - 12:24
Hi Busy, I can put u in touch with Acaciawood Initiative. Post your email address here long hand (writing dot com as words) and I will pass it on or you can post a message and email address on their blog page which they can reply to, it is not published on their page. Once I have your email address remove it from this thread.
Latest post on 30 August 2014 - 10:25
We live along that strip, about a 20 minute walk to the Fairmont, in one of the older apartment buildings. We have a 3 bed plus maid. It's a fairly good sized apartment as well (2400 sq ft). We have a pool and gym at the top. The going rate in our building is 160k. Chiller is free and we pay about 700AED for Dewa.
Latest post on 30 August 2014 - 08:34
I think the Widdad centre follows a similar style of teaching. For alternative organic produce you can check out Greenheart online delivery, their eggs for example are much cheaper than Spinneys. The UAE has started a lot of organic farming and you'll find the produce (sometimes well hidden as it is cheaper than imported!) But there is now quite a good range of local fresh organic green beans, herbs, cucumbers, aubergines, okra etc and very reasonably priced.
Latest post on 30 August 2014 - 08:04
Rental prices for three bed and maids apartment look at Dubbizle and contact some agents, you could look at the new downtown Dubai and Bur Dubai area near Dubai Mall which is very nice. Prices range from 200 to 500 K per year. Or you could go towards the Marina/Palm as there are good Metro links. Education, no there are no schools like Steiner, thank goodness in my opinion, but it appears there is a tiny home school group that blog, google. Why not look at Nord Anglia school, they have a nice ethos you may like. Or Foremarke prep. But you may have problems getting your children into schools in Dubai if they have been in the Steiner system and their reading and education is poor and behind their peers here in Dubai. You either put your kids in school or home school but the home school networks normally follow the K12 as per government regulation. Presently you can home school and teach what you wish however you never know when this may change. Private health, very rarely covers dental or optical bar a basic emergency allowance. Look at BUPA or contact a broker in Dubai or Oz. Utilities - (very roughly) budget for min 2000 dhs per month to 10K depending on where you live and what you rent. Food, family of four eating organic and eating out look at 2000 dhs per week. Organic shop on Sh Zayed road near Oasis centre, other shops now stocking organic produce and some like green-heart that deliver veg etc. This is just a very rough guide, i'm sure others can add their thoughts.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY