Juicer | ExpatWoman.com

Juicer

Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 10:14
I have an Omega Juicer which I brought when I moved from the UK. It's a masticating juicer which means it goes slowly. The chute is a tad small (have to cut apples but most carrots fit through fine). It's best on greens than soft fruits like citruses. I've had centrifugal juicers before but the reason I upgraded to a masticating one was the pulp. Mine is usually bone dry or near about. The yield from a masticating juicer beats a centrifugal's bum. The pulp usually goes into my compost heap so I don't feel there's any "waste". I hear there are some good recipes for the pulp (crackers, cakes, bread, etc), if you were concerned about chucking it out. I think Organic Foods and Cafe sell a masticating juicer. The argument for juice over smoothies is that you can get a lot more veg & their nutrients in a single glass compared to how much you can get in a smoothie. I try to have one or another a day.
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 10:02
I think a lot of people are going over to the blender option, because with juicing you throw away so much of the fruit/veggies and it's such a waste. Plus they're a pain to clean. Agreed. Plus it's not just the waste, it's so much healthier to blend the whole fruit/vegetable rather than just extract the juice. The fiber in the pulp is not only good for you, it fills you up. By contrast if you are simply juicing (fruit especially) you can end up taking a big sugar hit that doesn't fill you up. I use my Thermomix to blend, it's great.
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 09:49
I think a lot of people are going over to the blender option, because with juicing you throw away so much of the fruit/veggies and it's such a waste. Plus they're a pain to clean. Look up some recipes that you can use the pulp for, or start composting :)
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 09:27
When I got mine it included a free Jason Vale recipe book which has some great concoctions in! Worth getting in my opinion. Happy juicing!
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 09:24
Thank you all for your replies, and yes agree Juicer is very different than blender. i also now understand that power matters, 700-1000 Watts should do great job. On a juicer hunt now:)
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 07:15
As others have said, not a juicer, but an extractor and blender - what about a Nutribullet? Best thing since sliced bread as far as I'm concerned. You don't waste the pulp and can make soups and other things using it as well. I've made all sorts of concoctions as meal replacements. Also comes with some good recipe books.
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 04:19
OP - why do you think drinking juice is healthy?
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 21:32
The vitamix and nutribullet are not juicers, they're blenders. The reason you cannot use a blender for juicing is that a blender does not separate the fiber and pulp from a juice like a juicer does. A blender simply chops up and blends whatever you decide to put into it. A juicer on the other hand will separate all the fiber and pulp and give you only the juice of the fruits and veggies you put into it.
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 18:09
The Vitamix is also worth considering, not a juicer as such, but a blender which will make juices. I bought mine here and use it for making juices, smoothies and chopping every day. It's on QVC today in the UK- could be worth looking it up as there are videos demonstrations of it working. http://www.qvcuk.com/Vitamix-Creations-2L-Blender-with-101-Drinks-Recipe-Book-&-Smoothie-Cup.product.803136.html?UDC=ONAIR
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 17:21
If you're really taking it seriously, masticating juicers are supposed to be the best but cost a lot more. Personally I find the Philips one does the job and veggie juices are delicious as long as you include a piece of fruit such as pineapple or apple to sweeten. Nutri Bullet is also meant to be good and I saw it in Ace Hardware at the weekend
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 17:17
I have a Philips one. Takes whole apples and easy to clean is it not healthier to eat the whole apple? Sure, eat an apple. Or juice it, which was what the OP was referring to, no?!
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 17:06
I have a Philips one. Takes whole apples and easy to clean is it not healthier to eat the whole apple?
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 16:59
following this thread, was just looking at juicers yesterday. I heard you have to get high wattage juicers so you get the most of the vegetables/fruits, unsure how true this is.
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 16:56
I have a Philips one. Takes whole apples and easy to clean
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 16:24
trying to get on a healthier lifestyle, so want to start preparing fresh vegetable and fruit juices at home. would anyone out there be able to recommned good quality/powerful juicer. TIA

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY