Any schools in Dubai that accepts kids with Special needs for SY2014? | ExpatWoman.com

Any schools in Dubai that accepts kids with Special needs for SY2014?

Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 12:30

I enrolled my son to a summer school last July and the school noticed that he is very different. My son is extremely shy and has some speech delay but I thought that every child's development is different (turning 5 this Dec). We went to a Child Psychiatrist and just last week we received the diagnosis that he has a very mild Autism Spectrum Disorder. Now the school where my son is enrolled to wants to drop him because they don't have the facilities to help my child. In terms of academics he is average but his socialization and speech is very poor. Now, I am panicking because they want to remove my child from the school and it's Sep. 2 already! Do you know any schools that still accepts new students who has special needs for this SY2014-2015? Thanks for any help!

Latest post on 11 September 2014 - 17:07
Also try Nord Anglia. I am pretty sure they accept children with special needs if spaces are available.
Latest post on 11 September 2014 - 15:12
Thanks JDlover. Maybe next school year I can look at it. School has already started for him and hoping that he will do well and not kick him out. Hi there, my good friend's DS has just started at GEMS Wellington Al Khail, he has just turned 6. Sorry I'm not sure exactly what the term is for his Autism. Last year he was at the Devleloping child centre and they were basically getting him ready for mainstream school. The problem my friend found is that none of the schools want take the children with Speacial needs as they don't have the resources. GEMS Wellington Al Khail was the only one. (I'm pretty sure she approached every school in Dubai and got a "No sorry") She had a tough time finding a school willing to work with her DS,he's only been their two days but he has his own shadow and the school has an exclusions officer and so far my friend is very very happy that he and his older sister are at the same school. Hope this has helped, good luck.
Latest post on 11 September 2014 - 15:09
Thanks plum2! Are the school not interested in working with you and your son? If he passed their assessment I feel they have some responsibility to try and meet his needs. Ruba Tabari is a great bilingual (English and Arabic) Educational psychologist who would visit him at school and advise. You can contact her on [email protected]
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 21:30
LOL its been a long day, thanks Plum2 yes I meant inclusion officer.
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 21:24
This sounds great JDlover. I think you might mean Inclusion Officer though, not Exclusion Officer :)
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 21:19
Hi there, my good friend's DS has just started at GEMS Wellington Al Khail, he has just turned 6. Sorry I'm not sure exactly what the term is for his Autism. Last year he was at the Devleloping child centre and they were basically getting him ready for mainstream school. The problem my friend found is that none of the schools want take the children with Speacial needs as they don't have the resources. GEMS Wellington Al Khail was the only one. (I'm pretty sure she approached every school in Dubai and got a "No sorry") She had a tough time finding a school willing to work with her DS,he's only been their two days but he has his own shadow and the school has an exclusions officer and so far my friend is very very happy that he and his older sister are at the same school. Hope this has helped, good luck.
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 22:47
January 04 I'm quite sure that[b'> if a child is enrolled in the school they can't just ask him to leave like that because of a learning difficul[/b'>ty. Please contact the KHDA for advise. I knew someone in the same position a few years back and this is what they were told (that he can't be asked to leave once enrolled). Contact KHDA http://www.khda.gov.ae/en/aboutus/contactus.aspx <em>edited by Alismum on 02/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 22:30
Are the school not interested in working with you and your son? If he passed their assessment I feel they have some responsibility to try and meet his needs. Ruba Tabari is a great bilingual (English and Arabic) Educational psychologist who would visit him at school and advise. You can contact her on [email protected]
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 22:09
Yes, they did assess him. He passed. We don't have any problem with his academic skills. He is average, it's his socialization and speech that has a problem. We would like the best of our kid but I just don't know who would still take him at this time. Most of the schools have already started :( Hi January04 Whilst I can understand your frustration (did they assess him first?), you really need your son to be in an educational facility that meets his needs. Would supplying a one to one shadow go some way towards solving the problem?
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 19:49
Hi January04 Whilst I can understand your frustration (did they assess him first?), you really need your son to be in an educational facility that meets his needs. Would supplying a one to one shadow go some way towards solving the problem?
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 17:11
January 04 I'm quite sure that if a child is enrolled in the school they can't just ask him to leave like that because of a learning difficulty. Please contact the KHDA for advise.
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 16:47
Take a look at the Oasis school in Safa www.oasisschool.ae and Safe Center www.safecenter.info/ They may be able to help you. Sorry to hear your little one has already been labeled so young. Don't despair, there is help around and the previous post is a good starting point.
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 12:38
Try contacting Kids First Medical Center on Al Wasl Rd. They may know of some schools. Some of the Therapist at KFMC work with some of the schools. <em>edited by jackson5 on 02/09/2014</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY