Not proud | ExpatWoman.com

Not proud

Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 14:57

Hi there, I have been biting on my nails since I was six and I can't give up. I am not proud to admit that :(
Lately a friend told me how hypnotherapy can help you change things and fight addiction.

Any testimonials ? Any recommandation ?

Thanks for your help as I do need it
<em>edited by desperatemom77 on 02/09/2014</em>

Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 08:30
Perhaps indentify the times when you bite your nails and do something else with your hands at that time..... or pop some gum in your mouth... Take up knitting?
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 08:26
Thank you all for your tips but I forgot to mention that I also bite the skin around and manicure can't help it I am a skin-around-nails biter. Well, at least used to be. When I started working and tried to look elegant I got into a habit of manicuring every week. Since they remove that hard skin/cuticles around nails, there wasn't anything left to bite off. That's how I got rid of this habit of biting. But after becoming mom and no time for regular manicure, the habit returned but not in that previous acute form :)
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 21:32
Disgusting tasting nail varnish? Not sure if you can buy such thing though.. I have a habit of that sometimes if I'm stressed and keeping constant nail varnish on helps me..saying that if I'm really stressed then not even that stops me ha! edited by Jcoc56 on 02/09/2014 You used to be able to buy this at the pharmacy when I was a young child. My mother used it on my nails and those of my siblings who enjoyed biting their nails. Don't know if you can still get it. I still remember the taste - terribly bitter and the taste stayed in your mouth for ages. edited by mrsb. on 02/09/2014 You can buy it from Boots
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 21:22
Disgusting tasting nail varnish? Not sure if you can buy such thing though.. I have a habit of that sometimes if I'm stressed and keeping constant nail varnish on helps me..saying that if I'm really stressed then not even that stops me ha! edited by Jcoc56 on 02/09/2014 You used to be able to buy this at the pharmacy when I was a young child. My mother used it on my nails and those of my siblings who enjoyed biting their nails. Don't know if you can still get it. I still remember the taste - terribly bitter and the taste stayed in your mouth for ages. <em>edited by mrsb. on 02/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 20:03
Thank you all for your tips but I forgot to mention that I also bite the skin around and manicure can't help it I did too, so much so they were very sore but it really helped getting my nails done as I didn't want to bite or pick at the skin. Also use a good hand cream or solar oil to keep the skin soft. I would say give it a go, if it doesn't work you can always try something else. I agree with the ladies that acrylics are not the best for your nails but personally I find having 1 set on for a few weeks doesn't make that much difference and once they are removed you can switch to gel, although my favourite is bio sculpture.
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 18:47
Thank you all for your tips but I forgot to mention that I also bite the skin around and manicure can't help it
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 18:20
As an ex-nailbiter I would say do not get those fake gel/acrylic nails. It will make your nails even more weaker and its like putting a bandage over an emotional problem. The nailbiting will return full force once you remove it. Just go for regular colour/french manicures. You will be less likely to bite into a beautiful nail colour. It will still happen but a lot less and gradually you will see your nails getting stronger and nicer and you will also notice you will be biting a lot less. Like a smoker you will have to do it gradually. It takes time and can be difficult during stressful times. Get lollypops to suck on every time you get the urge to start biting. That helps too. Good luck! :) <em>edited by Asti on 02/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 16:16
LOL good good.
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 15:54
Don't know if this is the same as Shellac--but I agree. Much less ado compared to tips and acrylic as well! Yep, same same.
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 15:50
One of my friends used to bit her nails down to the quick and had her whole life. She stopped completely once she started getting Gellish done on her nails. Don't know if this is the same as Shellac--but I agree. Much less ado compared to tips and acrylic as well!
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 15:30
One of my friends used to bit her nails down to the quick and had her whole life. She stopped completely once she started getting Gellish done on her nails.
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 15:25
I have to agree, a good set of tips and later gel... Right now your nail beds are probably really short. It will help you to stop picking/biting because it would be nearly impossible to bite though the plastic and then you'd have to go back and get it fixed anyway! so the urge might slowly go away...
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 15:17
I was a terrible nail biter when I was growing up. Its only the past 10 years that I have stopped but occasionally when I am really stressed I might start again and don't usually stop until all my nails are really short and sore :( The thing I found that helped was having my nails done nice, it stopped me wanting to bite them. I had no patience to grow them so to start I had a full set of acrylic nails which are really tough so a good option if you are no used to having longer nails. Once your own nails have grown under the acrylic you can go for gel or normal nail polishes. It makes a big difference to me having a regular manicure as I am not very good at painting my own nails. Good luck :)
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 15:07
Get gel nails...they thicken the nails and so biting becomes difficult...
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 15:06
Disgusting tasting nail varnish? Not sure if you can buy such thing though.. I have a habit of that sometimes if I'm stressed and keeping constant nail varnish on helps me..saying that if I'm really stressed then not even that stops me ha! <em>edited by Jcoc56 on 02/09/2014</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY