Would you buy this? | ExpatWoman.com

Would you buy this?

Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 16:57

So on a recent trip back home, shopping around for bedding I came across a lovely shop selling some top quality branded bedding and towels for a fraction of the price they are sold here in UAE and the US. To show you what I mean I bought this lovely pottery barn king size bed set for around 40 aed , while the same is being sold in the US for 465 aed. ( I dont think the poor sellers realize the huge markups on these bed sets when they get exported)

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/lucianna-medallion-duvet-cover-sham-...

So it just made me wonder, is there a market out in the UAE for this?

Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 16:22
Are you guys for real??? I and many if not everyone I know would buy too!!! Can you tell me where they come from? I need 6…please!
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 16:12
I would assume a high street shop in the UK or US would be subject to the consumer laws therefore would not be selling stolen goods. I know that market stalls etc could sell hooky goods but a shop. Surely people would talk about "How cheap the items were" which would get tongues wagging and if the items were stolen etc then the police would get involved.
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 16:07
I'd assume seconds? factory seconds in the UK don't usually have big obvious flaws. Certainly if that is the case I'd be quite happy to buy.
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 16:03
totally agree with Apricot..... Would guess that you are buying fakes or stolen goods.
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 13:20
Personally, I wouldn't buy. I suspect these hugely discounted linens are either 1) "factory seconds" that didnt pass the quality control checks that foreign retailers would insist on, or 2) they are "grey market" goods being sold by factory employees who are stealing from the factory they work at. There is a possibility that 3) the factories are simply off-loading onto the local market any excess stock produced. One branch of my relatives and several family friends are in the textile business "back home". I have visited the factory floors, observed the workers' skill, and seen the various linens in their packages ready to be shipped to Target, IKEA, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc. Unless you can prove that the "lovely shop back home" sources its goods via scenario #3, then it is a business based on stealing, and shame on you for participating. wow, shaming and assuming that these bed linens are being stolen is entirely ridiculous and presumptions. These bed linens, curtains etc are export rejects from what the shop keepers tell us. For what reason they have been rejected I obviously cant tell since I have never found fault in them. Its not just one shop selling these textiles but a whole market of sellers who sell quality local bed linens and loose fabrics, and sometimes a huge pile of these export rejects land on their shelves, which they obviously sell off. They have been doing this for years and years so to assume that all the hard working traders who are trying to make a living out there are thieves is ludicrous to say the least. Many a times these sellers don't even know that the bed linens they are selling are branded since these brands don't exist there. As to why these bed linens and priced so low, well that's the actual price of these bed linens and that's that. Just because big brands like pottery barn sell them for 10 times the cost doesn't make it worth that price. So why should i pay 10 times for the same thing when I have the choice to give my money to small time local trader and buy the same thing for a fraction of the price its sold in the big shops
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 00:32
Excellent reply... I'd be suspect of any 40 Dhs bedding, let alone one that was apparently branded
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 00:29
Personally, I wouldn't buy. I suspect these hugely discounted linens are either 1) "factory seconds" that didnt pass the quality control checks that foreign retailers would insist on, or 2) they are "grey market" goods being sold by factory employees who are stealing from the factory they work at. There is a possibility that 3) the factories are simply off-loading onto the local market any excess stock produced. One branch of my relatives and several family friends are in the textile business "back home". I have visited the factory floors, observed the workers' skill, and seen the various linens in their packages ready to be shipped to Target, IKEA, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc. Unless you can prove that the "lovely shop back home" sources its goods via scenario #3, then it is a business based on stealing, and shame on you for participating.
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 23:21
How cute! :)
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 23:13
I would buy
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 17:06
I wish I could get a set also

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY