Help - 2 grandchildren visiting at Christmas! | ExpatWoman.com

Help - 2 grandchildren visiting at Christmas!

Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 17:44

I know this is very early, but I am beginning to panic already. I have been told by my sons that I need to source the following:
2 cots
2 high chairs
2 car seats
1 stair gate
1 stroller
1 Jumparoo

and goodness knows what else. I have emailed Doha Mums, but their little cache seems rather small to be able to satisfy the needs of two grandchildren - one of 19 months, and one 7 months - so thought I would post here too.
If anyone has anything they can lend me, I would be most grateful. Please email me on lesleyd dot durston at gmail dot com. Thanks.

Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 13:27
Hi, apart from the fact that I can't believe the cheek of your sons in asking you to source all this stuff(?!) I think can help. I have twins, who are about to outgrow most of the items you need. Plus we are away at Christmas, so won't need them anyway. We go on the 18th December so you can have them just before that. If you know tamieg1 in real life, she is one of my friends and will be able to put you in touch with me. I'm not sure I can help with travel cots though; we have two but they're in England at the moment. We have the LittleLife Arc2 which are super light and small (they can be carried as hand luggage) so maybe you could ask your cheeky sons to buy some in England and bring them with them! I also can't help with the Jumperoo, I can't believe they've asked for this as it's hardly an essential! Anyway let me know via Tamie if I can help with the other stuff :)
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 12:16
Hi LadyD, we have now left or you could have borrowed mine again! For travel cots and the jumperoo I would hop on FB to the "Buy It Swap It Sell It Kids" site and pick them up second hand, then resell them when they leave. For high chairs I would just get one IKEA Antilop chair, they're really cheap and you will be able to use them for years. Hope you're well xx
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 09:48
Honestly? I'm very surprised they've asked you to source all of this. I would expect them to bring the car seats and the stroller with them as a minimum and a stair gate is just something I've always lived without when visiting family with stairs. A jumperoo???? I note you've spoken to your sons - you might want to double check that their wives aren't planning to bring the car seats and stroller. I'm not sure how they're going to get to the airport without car seats! I have a booster seat for the dining table you can borrow if it helps (in pink). I would have thought the older one isn't in a high chair anymore but my age for transitioning is a bit out as my oldest was out of everything vaguely babyish (including) by the time my younger one came along as there's 15 months between them and I'm was too tight to buy two lots of everything.
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 22:56
Apart from the car seats ( and actually they could even fly with them, might have changed but they never used to count towards luggage allowance) you shouldn't need to acquire anything. I used to just fly with a travel cot therefore no need for you to get cots, stroller can go all the way to the plane door. High chair would be good but not essential - I either fed mine in their buggies or you can get portable cloth like things from Morhercare that you can use on an ordinary seat in lieu of high chairs. Good luck.
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 20:50
I could help you with most of this but I am in Dubai. Do you know any Doha Mums Facebook sites? That would probably do the trick. Otherwise google baby hire companies, I'm sure Dubai has some. Usually we take our own portacots and car seats when we travel. This could be an option if you can't borrow or hire. Dubizzle would have cheap stair gates, baby items to buy if you get desperate. Does Doha have any second hand baby market days? Good luck.