Which schools ? | ExpatWoman.com

Which schools ?

Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 22:25

I am looking for a school which concentrates more on the academic side but doesn't ignore the activities part.

I wonder which schools i need to start looking at

Latest post on 26 January 2015 - 13:02
Hi all. Can you help please. We're moving to Dubai in April. Have an offer from Repton and two of the newer schools. We're not going to opt for the newer ones as our kids are in a very good private school over 250 years old so it seems wrong for us. Please can someone feedback on Repton. Although I've searched I can't see any posts with info on Repton. Someone mentioned theyve been deleted. But I sense negativity towards this school on this forum. Reference was made to not keeping promises. Please can someone guide us here. Should we look for another school? We do want the kids to be in atypical British school to ensure their transition is not disruptive. Do not discount the newer schools at all, changes can happen in any school regardless of how long they have been running. Do visit the schools are ask questions, it is a minefield but there are some good schools out there. The schools follow the BC, they will be different to what you are used to.
Latest post on 26 January 2015 - 09:32
I thought GEMS Wellington International School was very good on the whole, given the turnover of staff which you get everywhere in Dubai because of the two year contract restriction, and particularly in the IB system, it seems. WIS offers the British Curriculum all the way through from primary up to GCSE level, and the Sixth Form offers the IB curriculum. The atmosphere in the school is very positive and pleasant, I found, though I only have experience of the Sixth Form. It is one of the few schools here which has a centre dedicated to children who need special assistance of one kind of another.
Latest post on 26 January 2015 - 09:08
Hi all. Can you help please. We're moving to Dubai in April. Have an offer from Repton and two of the newer schools. We're not going to opt for the newer ones as our kids are in a very good private school over 250 years old so it seems wrong for us. Please can someone feedback on Repton. Although I've searched I can't see any posts with info on Repton. Someone mentioned theyve been deleted. But I sense negativity towards this school on this forum. Reference was made to not keeping promises. Please can someone guide us here. Should we look for another school? We do want the kids to be in atypical British school to ensure their transition is not disruptive. You need to visit the schools, there is no real other way as this is a vital decision. People on this forum have varied interests and priorities and some appear rather linked to particular schools so you must bear that in mind very much. I think this place and independent places like Which School Advisor and good for researching a short list and then there is no substitute for a proper visit in depth and looking around. Trust your gut :) I would disagree with your points re new schools but that clearly is a priority for you and as you said one must respect that. I can say nothing good about Repton but that is just me, there are one or two on here who will defend it. Academics and final results are very important to me, you might have other priorities which are important to you, like the age of the school as you mention.
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 23:13
Hi all. Can you help please. We're moving to Dubai in April. Have an offer from Repton and two of the newer schools. We're not going to opt for the newer ones as our kids are in a very good private school over 250 years old so it seems wrong for us. Please can someone feedback on Repton. Although I've searched I can't see any posts with info on Repton. Someone mentioned theyve been deleted. But I sense negativity towards this school on this forum. Reference was made to not keeping promises. Please can someone guide us here. Should we look for another school? We do want the kids to be in atypical British school to ensure their transition is not disruptive.
Latest post on 17 November 2014 - 12:31
My son joined Dubai British School (DBS) last year and I'm so pleased with his progress, the environment and the opportunities open to him. I'm going to their Open Day this Thursday afternoon (20th November) to see what options are open to my little one in the coming years. Definitely worth looking at schools before making your decision and not relying on opinions...we all have different tastes, experiences and outlooks.
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 20:27
Any views on safa school? I heard some positive things from a few parents ? Anyone had any experience ? Also......I was just filling out their form and it says a self portrait of a child is needed if he's applying from fs1-2. Umm wisely question but what's that ? The child draws a picture of themselves.
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 09:05
Any views on safa school? I heard some positive things from a few parents ? Anyone had any experience ? Also......I was just filling out their form and it says a self portrait of a child is needed if he's applying from fs1-2. Umm wisely question but what's that ?
Latest post on 29 September 2014 - 23:27
Jool I am not assuming everyone's experience atDBS will be the same as mine at all! The OP asked for opinions on school and my previous posting was, and still remains, my thoughts on DBS. Whilst i do agree that it was maybe unfair of me to compare DBS to DC I also compared DBS to the school my daughter originally came from in England. As you stated that DC was not the correct school for your child, likewise DBS was definitley not the school for my children. My concerns at DBS were such that I removed all three of my children (elder two now at Uni in UK). Anyhow, like you, I wanted to share my experience and thoughts on DBS.
Latest post on 29 September 2014 - 16:55
Ruby123 I think it is really unfair to assume that eveyone's experience will be the same as yours. I have experienced DC and DBS and whilst there is no disputing that DC is an excellent school, that produces excellent results, there is a bigger picture. Choosing a school for our children can be one of the hardest decisions we make (especially when you are moving to a different country) and of course we all want our children to be the best they can be. DC did not suit my child and this wasn't to do with academic ability it was to do with the school. At DBS most if not all teachers know my childs name, there is fantastic community spirit and excellent pastoral care. My child is doing well academically and is encouraged and supported by his teachers. I would happily recommend DBS.
Latest post on 29 September 2014 - 16:31
Avoid DBS! My daughter attended a great school in the UK and I opted for DBS when I moved to Dubai as I wanted a british curriculum. The school, in my opinion, is well below standard and my daughter definitley degressed whilst there. Complained many, many times and things would go well for a couple of weeks afterwards but then standards would soon start slipping again. Have since moved her to Dubai College and it was the best moved I ever made. Thank you for your help, this means DBS for secondary level is not good enough. Due to late admission there are no places in Dubai College, On the other hand I have choice for English college. This does not mean the school is not good enough, it means that one poster did not find the school to her liking based on the experience of one student. DBS gets good results and many students do very well there, i certainly would not rule it out.
Avoid DBS! My daughter attended a great school in the UK and I opted for DBS when I moved to Dubai as I wanted a british curriculum. The school, in my opinion, is well below standard and my daughter definitley degressed whilst there. Complained many, many times and things would go well for a couple of weeks afterwards but then standards would soon start slipping again. Have since moved her to Dubai College and it was the best moved I ever made. Thank you for your help, this means DBS for secondary level is not good enough. Due to late admission there are no places in Dubai College, On the other hand I have choice for English college. This does not mean the school is not good enough, it means that one poster did not find the school to her liking based on the experience of one student. DBS gets good results and many students do very well there, i certainly would not rule it out.
Latest post on 15 September 2014 - 23:09
When we were looking for schools we had a list & we visited schools, we were looking for: Small classes: not more than 20 children in class, I wanted my son to be noticed & given attention. In his school there were 17 children in class in FS1 with 1 teacher, 1 TA & a helper/nanny Easy access to teachers: it was very important to us, I hate formalities & taking apointments everytime we need to ask his teachers about something Involved HOD: again easy to take apointment & a friendly head of department Involvement: workshops, seminars, activites, etc for parents, I want to know what they are doing in school Grading system: my son is advanced, I wouldn't be happy if they only focus on what should be covered in class, when he was assessed at the end of the year his teacher asked him to read a small book, count to 100, name 3D shapes, & recognise 2 digit numbers, he was given extra in class
Latest post on 15 September 2014 - 22:44
Kings (1st choice), they get the best ratings from KHDA inspectors (who initially based their evaluations on BC schools). Safa gets good reviews from parents and students, nice campus. Jumeira Primary School (Gems BC) gets favorable reviews and their campus is nice. Jumeira Baccalaureate School follows National Curriculum for England and IPC (BC adapted for expat Brits) in the primary years (Pre K to Grade 4) and they are very structured in their learning outcomes, etc. Parents have mixed reviews, but most students look happy. SABIS system may be an option at their Dubai branch. They got a new headmaster in Sept 2014 who is trying to make the school "less of a prison", though you may need to give your child additional tuition in English composition (factual and creative writing), which is weak in the SABIS curriculum. DESS parents seem happy with academics, particularly the Lebanese parents I meet at karate class. Thanks apricot :) I thought that the SABIS system was strong academically even in English. A friend mentioned that her son was able to read well in KG2, SABIS system Sorry, but that's depends on the child and not as much on school and the sistem. My son just started KG2 in new GEMS school (IB system) and his reading is very good. You can easily compare with reading in grade 1 or even grade 2. They started at the end of the KG1, but most of his classmates still don't read. Some of them still don't know all letters. So there is no pressure on kids, they just follow the child's development and desire. Agree with this, my son is in FS2 IB school, he can read since he was 3 but at school they are still sounding letter M loooool, his teacher gives him extra work like books to read at home, I chose a school that doesn't focus on academics in early years, for me personal development is more important than academics at this age, we also have time to go for extra activities after school which is an added advantage ;)
Latest post on 15 September 2014 - 20:50
I must disagree with Ruby13. I am a very happy parent of DBS kids in secondary. I dont think you can compare DBS and DC. DC is a selective school, DBS isnt. DBS GSCE and A level results improve each year and are above UK average. You will always find parents who are happy and others who are unhappy with a school in Dubai,it is an ongoing drama ! The best is to go and see each school and see how you feel.
Latest post on 14 September 2014 - 22:29
Latest post on 14 September 2014 - 17:36
English College is a good school, I think you are fortunate to have an offer for both kids there. It is very established, not fancy but a good all round school. Thank you Pixie I am glad and this information is very handy.
Latest post on 14 September 2014 - 15:48
English College is a good school, I think you are fortunate to have an offer for both kids there. It is very established, not fancy but a good all round school.
Latest post on 14 September 2014 - 15:42
Avoid DBS! My daughter attended a great school in the UK and I opted for DBS when I moved to Dubai as I wanted a british curriculum. The school, in my opinion, is well below standard and my daughter definitley degressed whilst there. Complained many, many times and things would go well for a couple of weeks afterwards but then standards would soon start slipping again. Have since moved her to Dubai College and it was the best moved I ever made. Thank you for your help, this means DBS for secondary level is not good enough. Due to late admission there are no places in Dubai College, On the other hand I have choice for English college.
Latest post on 11 September 2014 - 06:17
My children went to Repton and have slotted back into very good schools here in the UK with absolutely no problems. If anything - they were ahead on reading/English. The only thing they were missing was Religious Education but they've caught up! A word of warning for those intending to come back to the british system - they love their homework here - so although I used to moan at the homework set at Repton it has helped smooth the transition back to the UK hugely! Nord Anglia sounds fabulous and I have many friends who are there - worth checking out! Repton has[i'> changed [/i'>its curriculum, why mention it when you have not been there for YEARS? The OP is looking for a highly academic school for a 2 year old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Latest post on 10 September 2014 - 22:43
Avoid DBS! My daughter attended a great school in the UK and I opted for DBS when I moved to Dubai as I wanted a british curriculum. The school, in my opinion, is well below standard and my daughter definitley degressed whilst there. Complained many, many times and things would go well for a couple of weeks afterwards but then standards would soon start slipping again. Have since moved her to Dubai College and it was the best moved I ever made.
Latest post on 10 September 2014 - 20:20
I just want to add that my siblings and I went to English College (10 years ago, gosh I'm old!) and we loved it - it's a very established school with a good reputation. The primary school didnt do so well but it wasnt open very long, EC has been open since 1993 I believe. I would definitely send my DD there when she's older, I can't say anything bad about it.
Latest post on 10 September 2014 - 15:41
Any new schools will open in sept. 2015 ? http://whichschooladvisor.com/guides/new-schools-dubai-abu-dhabi/ Thanks sarahlouu123 :)
Latest post on 10 September 2014 - 15:30
Any new schools will open in sept. 2015 ? http://whichschooladvisor.com/guides/new-schools-dubai-abu-dhabi/
Latest post on 10 September 2014 - 15:20
Any new schools will open in sept. 2015 ?
Latest post on 10 September 2014 - 15:03
My children went to Repton and have slotted back into very good schools here in the UK with absolutely no problems. If anything - they were ahead on reading/English. The only thing they were missing was Religious Education but they've caught up! A word of warning for those intending to come back to the british system - they love their homework here - so although I used to moan at the homework set at Repton it has helped smooth the transition back to the UK hugely! Nord Anglia sounds fabulous and I have many friends who are there - worth checking out!
Latest post on 09 September 2014 - 05:36
Both are very good.my kids have friends in each.
Latest post on 06 September 2014 - 14:59
My daughter 17 and son 14 got an offer from English college Dubai and also from DBS Dubai British School please any body can help me ? I have to choose quick please please any experience? Please if you know anything I will be very thankful.. edited by ale123 on 06/09/2014 I have many friends whose children have been at English College and they have been very happy with it. Just check that the College confirms that they are staying open for the few years your 14 year old needs to finish. They recently closed the English College Primary School. Thank you plum2 . Very nice of you :) Yes that is my concern also, Obviously college will say they are not closing. But please anything about DBS . How is this school? Dubai British School belongs to Taleem. And their KHDA rating are same good and its in Emirates Hills. Anybody who can help please? <em>edited by ale123 on 06/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 06 September 2014 - 14:59
My daughter 17 and son 14 got an offer from English college Dubai and also from DBS Dubai British School please any body can help me ? I have to choose quick please please any experience? Please if you know anything I will be very thankful.. edited by ale123 on 06/09/2014 I have many friends whose children have been at English College and they have been very happy with it. Just check that the College confirms that they are staying open for the few years your 14 year old needs to finish. They recently closed the English College Primary School.
Latest post on 06 September 2014 - 14:53
Thank you plum2 . Very nice of you :) Yes that is my concern also, Obviously college will say they are not closing. But please anything about DBS . How is this school? Dubai British School belongs to Taleem. And their KHDA rating are same good and its in Emirates Hills. Anybody who can help please?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY