Looking for Amateur Wedding Photographers | ExpatWoman.com

Looking for Amateur Wedding Photographers

Latest post on 08 September 2014 - 18:33

Hi all! Any amateur wedding photogs out there want to capture a short intimate event of max 2 hours?

Wedding is next year, but doing the court thing and dinner after but we'd still love if someone with a decent camera and skills came in and captured some of our moments! We just need the uneditted raw files after (we could even supply you with an SD card if it makes it all easier!)

:) Lots of love! amj

Latest post on 26 October 2014 - 10:28
Hi Anniesoptera, are you still looking for someone or have you found a photographer?
Latest post on 09 September 2014 - 18:47
My post was some how deleted.. i have no idea why.. probably because i posted my email add.. oops But i agree with other posters to get someone who actually know what to do. It is your wedding day.
Latest post on 09 September 2014 - 16:23
If you really don't care about having any professional photos, then one thing you can do is bring a laptop and a card reader to your wedding and download everybody's cards before they leave (or the next day if you have a post wedding function). We opted to do that for our reception as I felt it would be less obtrusive and candid shots were fine (we had a professional shoot as well though). I do think though, for all the effort that goes into a wedding, it is a shame not to have any professional shots of the day at all though. I actually worked as a professional wedding photographer for many years, first of all, no, somebody starting out should not do the job for free or for peanuts, it totally devalues the industry and you will regret it later on. You should always charge at least enough that you are not working at a loss. Yes you can charge more when you have more experience but never work for less than minimum wage just because you are doing something that you like doing. Often I would meet lovely Brides and Grooms who just did not have the budget to afford my packages. I always advised them the same thing. Instead of spending x amount on the cheapest wedding photographer you can find, and being disappointed with the resulting photos, book in for a 1-2 hour shoot with a portrait photographer instead with the B&G and possibly wedding party and or parents of the B&G as time allows (I actually think in the long term the shots with your mum and dad/ grandparents are more important than your bridal party). These (particularly the couple shots) are the most important shots of the day and you can buy a couple of well printed enlargements for the wall instead of spending thousands on an album. Then get the rest of the photos from your guests via the laptop method above (don't rely on them sending them to you later, they never will). No wedding photographer is going to work this way for you, as it means missing out on a much more lucrative job as wedding photographers work on the basis of far less shoots and far more post production via albums so just missing one day in the wedding season costs them too much. A portrait photographer may not be as experienced in things like arranging the dress/veil etc but enlist the help of the bridesmaids on that. They should at least have very high quality gear and the benefit of studio lighting. If you are not too superstitious you can even do the shoot before the ceremony itself while your hair/makeup etc is still fresh and that way you can go straight to the reception afterwards and not be away from your guests. A high quality portrait shoot with a few enlargements will cost the same as, and result in better photos than a whole day with a weekend shooter who will just shoot and burn 1000 mediocre photos for you.
Latest post on 09 September 2014 - 16:04
That's really sad GE :( Ours weren't great either - my dad employed a friend as a favour to help his new business and they're just snaps really but it was a long time ago - wedding photography is way more artistic nowadays... But we did have a friend do a video for us and he made a fantastic job of it... I love photographing people and always take masses of pics at weddings - I have albums full of them and everyone says the professional once are nice but informal ones seem to capture the day much better and make nicer mementos... so I agree that a guest who is a friend is probably the best choice plus GE's idea is great - I've been to weddings where there is a disposable camera on each place setting for the guests to use and leave behind - great fun !!
Latest post on 09 September 2014 - 16:01
I still haven't and probably never will forgive Mr GEs sons now ex girlfriend. good job she is Ex....
Latest post on 09 September 2014 - 15:56
I still haven't and probably never will forgive Mr GEs sons now ex girlfriend.
Latest post on 09 September 2014 - 15:51
My mohter got remarried when i was 14 - it was just family really and we took our own photos on a 35m film camera. For some reason the film of pics of her wedding didn't fully rewind when it was done and i took the camera on holiday a few days later and may have accidentally double expossed all her wedding shots with me and my cousin in Greece. She divorced him a few years later - so all forgiven in the end but at the time she was furious.
Latest post on 09 September 2014 - 15:15
I now wish we'd spent something on a photographer :( Due to the fact that our wedding was so rushed, organised and over in four weeks, we used a friend who was training to be a professional photographer. We now have no decent photos of the day and worst of all she has lost the copies she held for us on her laptop. All I have are one or two half decent shots that family took. edited by Geordie expat on 09/09/2014 <em>edited by Geordie expat on 09/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 09 September 2014 - 15:09
Isn't everyone who attends a wedding an "amateur photographer" :) why not give everyone who comes a disposable camera and have them let loose and sometimes you can get the best pictures available - especially as no one can stop and delete them :)
Latest post on 09 September 2014 - 14:21
Have to agree with the others here, I would reduce spending on literally everything but a photographer for your wedding. Besides your DH, its one of the main things you can cherish after the day. We didn't go with an outrageously expensive photographer but she did an amazing job and I'm an honestly 100% happy that we choose to go the professional route. It's really not about the camera, photographers learn the skills and have the equipment but most importantly they have eye for a shot from experience and good ones blend in and can get good shots quickly and capture the moment. An amateur with a camera might get some nice pictures but a pro will capture your day. No matter how simple your wedding is, you honestly can't imagine how wonderful the day is and how much you will want to remember it. I hope you find someone suitable. Good luck.
Latest post on 09 September 2014 - 00:16
Will you be editing your own wedding pictures?
Latest post on 08 September 2014 - 22:12
Anniesoptera - I agree, you do get what you pay for. Your wedding are memories that you want captured in the best way possible and a professional would do this best. That said if for some reason you are still keen on an amateur photographer, I would be happy to help. I've been on a few courses, been clicking away at anyone and anything for about a year now and have some good equipment etc. Let me know if you're interested in speaking further. Good luck!
Latest post on 08 September 2014 - 20:33
Avdm159 I'm starting out in this as a hobby, have been on a few courses and just generally playing around taking as many different photos in different settings as I can. What do you do if you are starting out? I would have thought offer your services for free ( but I wouldn't be anywhere near comfortable doing a wedding though at this stage, as you rightly say it is a huge day and I wouldn't want the pressure in case it's not what the person is looking for) Annisoptera - I hope you find someone. For my wedding I had an amateur photographer (family friend) for free but also paid a lot of money for professional photographer / videographer. The family friend took some fantastic photos as she knew the family dynamic, knew most of the guests quite well so she captured some great moments. Maybe see if there's anyone within your aquaintances who can do it. But if you do want more than potentially amateur photos, go with word of mouth.
Latest post on 08 September 2014 - 19:45
Sounds like you just want someone to do it for free. I'm a professional photographer and all I can say is you get what you pay for. Your wedding is one day of your life and you're trying to get "some person with a good camera" to capture the day? I hope you have low expectations.......

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY