Will's and the process of registering/ notarising | ExpatWoman.com

Will's and the process of registering/ notarising

Latest post on 16 September 2014 - 14:54

We have had our Will's drawn up and translated into Arabic here in Dubai. I understand that the process is that we now need to sign them and have them witnessed in the presence of a Court Notary ? We are planning to go to the court offices at Al Barsha with our witness next week.
For information we are British non Muslim .

Does anybody have any recent experience of this , can confirm that this is correct , how long it takes and if it is as painless as we have been advised ( I am thinking not !)
Thanks so much in advance.

Latest post on 03 October 2014 - 16:51
Sorry do you mean that anybody who has had a will done recently ( past few months) will most probably have to re-do it? If thats the case no way are we doing that, cost enough in the first place to do let alone do it all again.
Latest post on 03 October 2014 - 16:50
Expatwills.
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 23:02
Any recomnendations for drawing up wills?
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 23:02
Any recomnendations for drawing up wills?
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 08:52
I was going to post this when the expected legislation had been announced.. I spoke to our lawyer yesterday and he advised that there is likely to be an announcement around the 10th October. If it is as expected it will allow for Wills to be registered with the courts at DIFC. This will make the process much quicker and more certain. It will require your Will to be redrafted. If the ruling is made they believe it will take affect from next January. Sorry this is all I know at the moment.
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 08:42
Sorry to jump on this post, however has anyone heard of the Wills changing? I heard that people who have had their Wills notarized etc..in that past have to redo the entire procedure as the rules/laws have changed this month?
Latest post on 17 September 2014 - 12:18
Thanks so much , you are a star !
Latest post on 17 September 2014 - 12:17
As far as I am aware this is the last part of the process. A copy of our notarisation stamp, last page of the will is sent to our Will company to be kept for their reference but apart from this its yours to retain.
Latest post on 17 September 2014 - 11:59
Thanks again. It feels like the company that drew up our Will's should have been doing more for their fee ! So sorry but hopefully this is the last question - is the notarisation the last part of the process or does the Will need to go to any other miniseries ( foreign affairs and justice are coming up on the search ?)
Latest post on 17 September 2014 - 11:29
No I don't know if this one is on-line as it was given to us by the will company.
Latest post on 17 September 2014 - 11:03
Thanks so much. I think there are some guidelines about the email address thing that we may be contravening - is there some where I can do an online search for it ?
Latest post on 17 September 2014 - 10:51
yes in fact its 2000AED for attestation fee per person and a registration fee of 110 AED pp all in cash. Horrendous I know. Yes you need to take passport copies as well as originals and Emirates ID cards (just in case take a copy of ID cards as you never know.) We had one lady sign for both and stamp. I have a document on the process if you want me to send that to you please give your email address. Its a lot of help. <em>edited by Genkigirl on 17/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 17 September 2014 - 09:19
Hi Genkgirl Thanks so much for the information. 2100 each - ouch ! Do we need to take this in cash and are there any other key documents ? I am assuming we need passports but are there any proof of address documents etc we need ? We are only taking one witness is that okay ? There is space for two signatures but our lawyer said one was enough ?Thanks as well for the heads up on the dress code. Apologies for bombarding you with questions ! No Polly , we used a corporate law firm and once they had established that we couldn't go for a BVI structured trust it was like pulling teeth to get any information ! Thanks again
Latest post on 16 September 2014 - 17:33
yes This is the next step. We had our wills completed by Expatwills, you now need to take them with your 2100 dhms each and go to Al Barsha ( early in the morning I would advise ) and take a number show them what you want to have done then go from there. It did not take long, under an hour of waiting and stamping. make sure its all ready to go though and as its a government office remember to dress appropriately. I went wearing long sleeves but a dress just on my knees and we were turned away and I had to come back in pants the next day. Was not fair really when other women were there wearing no sleeves but thats beside the point. We did ours in June this year and now have that peace of mind that its all completed.
Latest post on 16 September 2014 - 16:57
Hi, shouldn't the people that drew up your wills do all that for you? Ours did.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY