tablet worries | ExpatWoman.com

tablet worries

Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 06:21
if any of you would like to send your children for the seven day course in handwriting improvement in English, I can pass the details to you. I absolutely loved it for my kids and recommend it. my kids are in Year2, year4 and year 6 at the Aldar Academy.. This improves their confidence in writing and of course they are showered with praises at school!...I'm thrilled!! <em>edited by ruthangel on 22/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 10:06
& we pay AED 2000 every year for "technology" which is the use of iPads for each child,
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 09:44
My son is in FS2, until now he can't write properly, when they send us a homework I have to explain to him how to write a letter both in Arabic & English, he is a smart advanced child who's been reading since he was 2.5 yrs. I honestly think children are using way too much technology & screen time at school, he's been using educational games on the iPad since he was 1.5 yrs, iPads are not rocket science, I think at schools they should work more on developing fine motor skills rather than spending most of the time on technology. I get overwhelmed from all the apps & websites the school advises up to use. Classdojo, communicator, oxford owl, study ladder & so on. Children spend over 7 hours from their life at school, I raised the issue of writing to school, his teacher confirmed that almost all children are struggling with writing, she doesn't even understand why children are not encouraged to write letters between the lines to teach them how to write letters & words properly. They rely intensively on the parents at home & with the long school hours children don't have enough time to relax or go to after school activities . I did several online courses, but I got bored at the end from the lack of interaction with real people. At home my son doesn't use the iPad & he rarely watches tv, I try to encourage him to read using real books & to use a pencil or a board to practice writing. Conventional teaching methods teach patience unlike fast pace technology , unfortunately many children lack the patience to finish a task those days <em>edited by wickedangel_78 on 21/10/2014</em>
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 09:27
dear mrsb, since it seems to me most teachers have your views, and mothers also (that this trend is detrimental generally to the kid), why is education going down this road? I have no idea why education is following this path. It seems to be a global trend. I often feel the world is changing too fast and I am now too old and it is all passing me by. I strongly support the communicative, activity-based teaching methodology, which promotes problem solving and critical thinking skills, however, there is still a strong argument for memorising the basics - times tables, etc. and I do believe there is a place for the traditional rote learning / memorisation in the grand scheme. edited by mrsb. on 20/09/2014 My sister lives minutes from Apple and Google and her children go to school there. I can tell you that they don't use Ipads in class at all or even for homework. They actually still have textbooks. Ipads are a Dubai thing - less expensive for the school, less work for the teachers but less result for the kids. iPads aren't a Dubai thing. Widely used in primary and high schools in Australia. I wouldn't say they're less work for teachers, but I agree that they don't necessarily produce results for kids. Technology for the sake of technology - doesn't always equal good outcomes. edited by Stix on 20/10/2014 Far from being less work for teachers, iPads and other paperless technology in the classroom requires a huge amount of extra work for teachers and is very stressful for many: 1. Learning how to use the new technology is very difficult and time consuming and done in their own time, often at their own expense 2. Learning to trouble shoot; sometimes half the class is wasted trying to get the smartboard working, Internet connections working, speakers working etc (students deliberately sabotage them) 3. Adapting previously paper based worksheets etc to suit the new paperless, activity-based teaching that the ministry is demanding in all schools It is very difficult for teachers, particularly the older, more experienced and highly qualified teachers who are used to teaching a paper-based curriculum. Many teachers are choosing early retirement rather than battle this new technology. It is too much and there is still no scientifically based proof that our students are benefiting from it. All I see are young inexperienced tech-savvy newly graduated teachers showing off their skills - I am still to see the benefits for our children.
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 09:40
Personally, I hate it but my children's school has asked that each child has an Ipad. I resisted at the beginning of the school year and did not buy them each an Ipad until I realized that my children became "the ones without an Ipad"... It is very difficult in the classroom when some children have them and other's don't. There is plenty of research to show that iPads don't improve student results. I also think children are perfectly capable of learning all they need to know about the latest technology in their 'technology' subjects.
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 09:37
Personally, I hate it but my children's school has asked that each child has an Ipad. I resisted at the beginning of the school year and did not buy them each an Ipad until I realized that my children became "the ones without an Ipad"...
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 09:33
dear mrsb, since it seems to me most teachers have your views, and mothers also (that this trend is detrimental generally to the kid), why is education going down this road? I have no idea why education is following this path. It seems to be a global trend. I often feel the world is changing too fast and I am now too old and it is all passing me by. I strongly support the communicative, activity-based teaching methodology, which promotes problem solving and critical thinking skills, however, there is still a strong argument for memorising the basics - times tables, etc. and I do believe there is a place for the traditional rote learning / memorisation in the grand scheme. edited by mrsb. on 20/09/2014 My sister lives minutes from Apple and Google and her children go to school there. I can tell you that they don't use Ipads in class at all or even for homework. They actually still have textbooks. Ipads are a Dubai thing - less expensive for the school, less work for the teachers but less result for the kids. iPads aren't a Dubai thing. Widely used in primary and high schools in Australia. I wouldn't say they're less work for teachers, but I agree that they don't necessarily produce results for kids. Technology for the sake of technology - doesn't always equal good outcomes. <em>edited by Stix on 20/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 08:54
I hate it. Even chimpanzees can use IPads - there is no need to teach this in schools. Plus, since my son is required to have his own IPad and use it for homework, it makes it very difficult to limit its use after school. My sister lives around the corner from Apple in California and I can tell you her children aren't using them in schools. Most kids don't even have one. Steve Jobs never allowed his kids to have them !! lol Is my 10 year old the only one without his own ipad or phone ? I let him borrow mine for games but he doesn't know the password so can't download anything without me and we can control the amount of time he uses it for..
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 08:47
dear mrsb, since it seems to me most teachers have your views, and mothers also (that this trend is detrimental generally to the kid), why is education going down this road? I have no idea why education is following this path. It seems to be a global trend. I often feel the world is changing too fast and I am now too old and it is all passing me by. I strongly support the communicative, activity-based teaching methodology, which promotes problem solving and critical thinking skills, however, there is still a strong argument for memorising the basics - times tables, etc. and I do believe there is a place for the traditional rote learning / memorisation in the grand scheme. edited by mrsb. on 20/09/2014 My sister lives minutes from Apple and Google and her children go to school there. I can tell you that they don't use Ipads in class at all or even for homework. They actually still have textbooks. Ipads are a Dubai thing - less expensive for the school, less work for the teachers but less result for the kids.
Latest post on 17 October 2014 - 21:01
30 years ago, when computers were first introduced to schools in a widespread way, it was claimed that the use of keyboards would lead to students not being able to write with pen and paper. It hasn't happened, and that's not likely to change any time soon. Schools are simply adapting to new technology, the technology that students are going to be using in the real world. Are there schools out there that have deliberately abandoned any kind of handwriting? edited by Madge_Gustard on 19/09/2014 But there is a difference between using a computer and keyboard to an ipad. Ipads teach few IT skills but they are cheaper.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 20 September 2014 - 22:48
dear mrsb, since it seems to me most teachers have your views, and mothers also (that this trend is detrimental generally to the kid), why is education going down this road? I have no idea why education is following this path. It seems to be a global trend. I often feel the world is changing too fast and I am now too old and it is all passing me by. I strongly support the communicative, activity-based teaching methodology, which promotes problem solving and critical thinking skills, however, there is still a strong argument for memorising the basics - times tables, etc. and I do believe there is a place for the traditional rote learning / memorisation in the grand scheme. There needs to be a balance. The concept that no child should fail is, in my opinion, quite ridiculous as it does not reflect real life and does not prepare our children for their futures in the real world. Failure is an important part of the learning process in my humble opinion. There are always strong criticisms against new technology, ball point pens replacing pen and ink, calculators replacing mental arithmetic, computers and now iPads - there will always be something. It seems to always "work out". It does concern me that over the past 2 years, I have noticed a distinct reduction my students' abilities to concentrate on a specific task for any length of time. I believe this is a direct result from the fast, colourful games they play on iPad etc and texting etc which is creating an entire new written language which many students are confusing with written formal or academic English. <em>edited by mrsb. on 20/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 19 September 2014 - 15:59
30 years ago, when computers were first introduced to schools in a widespread way, it was claimed that the use of keyboards would lead to students not being able to write with pen and paper. It hasn't happened, and that's not likely to change any time soon. Schools are simply adapting to new technology, the technology that students are going to be using in the real world. Are there schools out there that have deliberately abandoned any kind of handwriting? <em>edited by Madge_Gustard on 19/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 19 September 2014 - 08:41
They will always teach pen and paper first, kids will aways know. Now it is fundamental that they know technology as without it how will they be prepared for the world? If there is not an end of world as we know it war ahead, technology will continue to advance and they will need to know greater than their parents. As a person with shocking handwriting, this is good! I wish I had had a tablet at school.
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 08:53
I hate it. Even chimpanzees can use IPads - there is no need to teach this in schools. Plus, since my son is required to have his own IPad and use it for homework, it makes it very difficult to limit its use after school. My sister lives around the corner from Apple in California and I can tell you her children aren't using them in schools. Most kids don't even have one.
Latest post on 17 September 2014 - 21:39
Handwriting must continue to be a part of education as material is retained better when it is written down, as opposed to typed...http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-learning-secret-don-t-take-notes-with-a-laptop/
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 17 September 2014 - 18:59
All areas of education are embracing the concept the paperless classroom, which in many ways is very commendable. Howevere, from my view point as a teacher in a paperless environment, I have my reservations as to whether or not the outcomes are all positive for our students. Since my educational institution went paperless two and half years ago, I have noticed a significant decrease in the attention span of our students. They can concentrate on a task for a much shorter period of time compared to years ago. Also, those new students coming directly from high school into my institution have extremely limited attention spans. They are always clicking and tapping on a screen whether it is iPhone, iPad, or an equivalent. Their writing skills, both physical and also grammatically and spelling wise are atrocious. Many of my students write as they text, eg b4 = before and u = you, & = and. They use these terms in their academic essays! Their physical writing is suffering also. They can't write netly for a sustained period of time, eg writing an essay. They are used to keyboards and hate writing. If I write something on the smart board and ask them to copy it into their note books, they just hold up their iPads and take a photo of the board!!!! My mind boggles!!!!!!! As a mother of a nearly 10 year old DD, I am very conscious of her love of iPad and games etc and strictly limit her time on the iPad to only weekends, and then not all day both days. I do not allow her to download anything without my permission so she has a very limited number of games available to her. She does read books on her iPad but also has many hard copy books to read as well. Unfortunately, this is a sign of the direction of our education generally and it is not all for the betterment of our students and their learning experiences.
Latest post on 17 September 2014 - 18:12
DD's school has well and truly embraced the tablet as a learning tool. Children in the older years at least have to bring their own tablet to school every day. We were dismayed at first, but now that we have seen what can be done with some of the functional apps they use for collage, videos, presentations etc, are quite impressed. I do agree that this can mean too little practice with conventional writing etc though, which is a valid concern. There is a place for ipads, but not to the exclusion of paper, pen, books... After all, exam papers (not coursework of course) still have to be handwritten, so handwriting is not redundant in schools. Tablets are a fact of life and the future for our kids, so fighting controlled use (provided they get the balance right) in schools is pointless imho.
Latest post on 17 September 2014 - 16:14
I am worried about the tablet, the electronic variety, as it seems my children's school is introducing it slowly with may be a view to having it usurp our old-fashioned pen and paper completely over the years to come. My oldest son will escape the world of the tablet, thank God, but my youngest age 9, will he be able to pick up a pen and write in ten years' time? Or will he just know how to press buttons on electronic gadgets? It all just seems so way out and robotic to me; how are others feeling about this gadget overtaking schools and classrooms and education as a whole? And are all schools going the same way? I wouldn't say I am worried it per se but I would be if I judged solely from the first school I visited this year. It was unbelievable, EVERY classroom in FS1 - YEAR 2 had at least 5 ipads in them..it really put me off as even the 'freeplay' area had a tablet station which I thought was really unnecessary when the children have the option to run around outside in the playground or play on an ipad. I then visited another school and yes they had around 50 of them but they were all in the IT room - I thought this was fine as the kids have 2 session a week in there and could take turns between the PCs and Ipads, fine as in this day and age we can't stop tools and technology growing in the way that it is. So in answer to your question and from my experience I think all schools approach this new found obsession differently. I won't name schools but if you are looking into them then have a good look at a few as they all seem to have a different ethos..

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY