british passport holders and university fees | ExpatWoman.com

british passport holders and university fees

Latest post on 19 September 2014 - 22:06
Our friends took their decision to appeal and won - the reason they were given was that the father was on a temporary work contract so therefore it wasn't the child's fault they weren't living in the UK. Our eldest got home status but we had to provide paperwork such as bank statements, mortgage statements etc. He's had his NI number since he was 16 and has a full UK driving licence. We also had to certify that our house has never been rented out. But we also had my husband's employment contract and a letter stating that his secondment to Dubai is temporary. I do believe different universities have different rules but he was only interested in one. On the other hand, they have to fill a certain number of places with overseas students so sometimes that can work in your favour if places are limited !!
Latest post on 19 September 2014 - 20:44
Thank you very much, Mohandissa
Latest post on 19 September 2014 - 17:43
Ladies, can you just tell me if the home status is given also to non British citizens but living and working in UK and for a UK company since at least 3 years? Tia EU status may apply to students with EU passports, but I do not think it likely that Home Status would apply to other foreigners living in the UK. I would suggest that you call UCAS and ask them.
Latest post on 19 September 2014 - 15:23
Ladies, can you just tell me if the home status is given also to non British citizens but living and working in UK and for a UK company since at least 3 years? Tia
Latest post on 19 September 2014 - 12:47
If a student has not lived in the UK for 3 years prior to university, he/she can still be entitled to home status if the following can be demonstrated: [b'>1 - The student is living overseas on a temporary basis.[/b'> Evidence of this is easy because the UAE residence visa held by student and parents indicates an end date after which they have 30 days to leave the country. [b'>2 - The student intends to go back and settle in the UK in the future[/b'> This is much harder to demonstrate, but the following evidence can be produced to indicate the strength of your ties in the UK: Ownership of a family home in the UK. (If it is rented, the rental agreement needs to have an end date). Evidence that the family have lived there in the past. (Utility bills) Evidence that the student has visited their home town regularly (flight confirmations, passport stamps, doctors and optician appointments, library membership etc). Evidence that the student intends to or has already worked and driven in the UK (nat insurance number, driving license). Evidence that the student attended a local school in the past or attended any summer schools, courses etc. Statement about the presence of friends and family who are visited regularly. Statement that there is no other country to which the student is entitled to settle, when the leave the UAE. Furthermore if either parent is employed by a british company, it might be possible to get a letter from the company stating that the appointment is temporary and a transfer back to the UK business is likely in the future. If you can demonstrate the above 2 conditions, then the student should have no problem in getting the home status that they are entitled to and the university decision can be appealed if necessary. Having home status may have the added advantage of applying for a student loan if required.
Latest post on 19 September 2014 - 09:04
thanks for everyone's experiences and remarks. I find the whole identity thing weird these days and a bit surprising that you have to live in the land for three years to qualify as its citizen, then I do appreciate the comment from micdoc that if you haven't paid taxes there for years why should you reap the benefits. Thanks again for your experience You can live there and never have even been employed, let alone pay tax and reap the benefits!
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 21:51
you are meant to be living in the uk 3 years prior but if you can prove your working overseas was temporary then that will go a long way towards it... but nowadays the difference in price isnt that much... its the fact that overseas students i think dont get loans etc but they will get priority for onsite accommodation, i know this year aberdeen uni first years some of them had to be housed in hotels as they didnt have enough to go around, and aberdeen accommodation prices are second to london etc. it has its own little bubble. also when the results come out on friday re scotland who knows what will happen with tutition fees etc.
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 21:48
we are starting the process this year, but from what i have researched is there are various ways of giving yourself a good chance of home status, having a uk house, showing that you return frequently, obviously family ties etc, whether you work for a local or an british company etc, whether you are on a "temporary" contract, the fact that you have to renew your visa each time, the fact that you cannot take up permanent residency etc. but it will also come down to each uni, the more popular ones will ask for proof and most dont.... until you start the process you wont know because even if you have siblings both going to the same place, they could be counted differently because it may well come down to the course too.
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 21:24
My girls grew up in then UAE and left for Uni in UK after A levels. They were both accepted as UK students. They both went to University of Bath. I think it depends in the University and the course.
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 19:15
My daughter, who did A levels here, has just done her first year as an international student. In all five uni choices, I was notified that her status was 'unclear' i.e. British passport but educated overseas. I've copy and pasted the typical response I received from the unis: We are writing in connection with your fee status as a prospective student of the University of xxxx |In order that we can determine your classification for fees purposes as either a Home or Overseas fee paying student, please can we ask you to provide the following information; Your nationality (please provide a copy of the relevant passport pages) Nationality/nationalities of your parents Date of arrival in the UK: (dd/mm/yyyy) What is your immigration status in the UK (please provide documentation) Where you live/have lived: (a) Generally (b) For the past three years Please include the main reasons for residency in both cases Where your parents live/have lived: (a) Generally (b) For the past three years We look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible. Please note that failure to provide the information requested may result in the University classifying you as an Overseas student for fees purposes. Kind Regards Admissions Services Having given them the above, I was then asked for copies of air ticket stubs, hotel receipts, copies of any accounts we hold, bank statements etc. In the end we just gave up as we couldn't produce what they required with the result she was deemed international and is being charged considerably more than a student paying home status (14500 vs 9000). If you get home status, lucky you. I know of families who got home status for their kids, having been out of the UK longer than us so yes depends on the uni, the course and I guess how to choose to fill in the paperwork.... edited by Sandyfeet31 on 18/09/2014 <em>edited by Sandyfeet31 on 18/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 18:53
Suppose it depends on the course and Uni. My son goes to uni in Glasgow as an international student, his course was £10500 but we were entitled to a £1000 scholarship every year. None of my children have been born in the UK and we did own a property at the time. My son had to go for a face to face interview for his NI number but then again we didn't apply for home status as we have been away for 24 years and my kids have never lived in the Uk and we have only paid taxes on property not salary. Other people that I know whose kids are also born outside the Uk did get home status, how they did, Im not sure. Guess, what I am trying to say is that if your child is educated in the Emirates at A level status, I would not presume they should be granted home status. If you get it, you are very lucky.
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 18:28
Yes, I know of many expat kids who have completed their whole secondary education but have managed to get home status. Not that there is much difference between international fees and home status in England. I think there is quite a difference in fees! We pay just over 16K this year which is quite a bit more than 9K! For my friends living here who have managed to secure home status for their children they have generally owned property in the UK and had to provide evidence of how often they visit. One friend has gone out of her way to create as many links to the UK as possible, like getting NI numbers, joining her kids to the local library etc etc. Everything you can do to demonstrate your ties to the UK helps. I figured it wasn't even worth trying, although a couple of Uni's insisted I fill in their forms. I left the Uk at 23, have never owned property in the UK and had children born overseas who have never lived in the UK. <em>edited by plum2 on 18/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 15:58
I began the application for home status for my daughter but in the end she went as an' International Student'. Every week I was asked for something else to send back to UK ( they wouldn't take scanned copies) eg. copies of entrance and exit stamps in her passport since birth, copies of bills from the house etc. A good start is to have their National Insurance number. I also think that it has alot to do with the type of employment contract that you have.
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 15:09
Yes, I know of many expat kids who have completed their whole secondary education but have managed to get home status. Not that there is much difference between international fees and home status in England. The schools can advise the kids on what they say on their applications, a lot of it has to do with the kind of working contract they state their parents have. In my opinion , if you don't reside there and pay UK taxes , you shouldn't be entitled to home status.
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 15:04
It is definitely case by case, although there are rules in place many British expat students still get home status. I know of families who have children that were born here, did A Levels here and still got home status. My teen secured 4 offers, all home status, although for 2 universities we did have to provide mortgage statements etc etc.
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 14:24
Does anyone know if it is true that a British citizen/school-leaver has to live in the UK for at least three years before university entry in order to be assessed fees-wise as a British citizen? In other words, if the student does his A levels here, he will have to pay foreigners' fees at university in the UK? We have had conflicting information regarding this and have also been told it varies from university to university. Does anyhow know? Yeah unfortunately it's true. Someone I know has just done so, born here but British passport holder - has a UK address (her grandparents house) but had to reside their for 3 years prior to university to be legible to pay the normal fees. She has lived here all her life so is classed as an International student and is paying 12k GBP as oppose to 9GBP for her fees. One positive to this is that International students do get priority for the campus accommodation
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 13:51
I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that the general law is as you have stated. However, there are many exceptions to this rule, and you can apply for home status which is then assessed on a case by case basis. You're asked to complete forms, sign declarations, etc, with regards to why you are not living in the UK at the moment. I don't think you can find an answer here, you need to present your case for the relevant people to assess.
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 13:47
Our daughter lived here since she was 10 years old and when she went back to uni in the UK was classed as an "International Student" and is still being classed as such while doing her post grad. Hope this helps?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY