Must see things in Dubai????? Visitors are coming ..... | ExpatWoman.com

Must see things in Dubai????? Visitors are coming .....

Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 14:32

Hi I have visitors coming this month and I'm new to Dubai. What are the must see things to do? Are there any tour companies you would recommend? Any help would be much appreciated!!!!!

Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 19 September 2014 - 06:59
Big Bus Tour - includes a tour of the souks, abra crossing, cruise on the creek and gives a really good overview of Dubai (you can do 1 or 2 days). Buy tickets on line for a discount. Sheik Mohammad Cultural Centre - do great walking tours, breakfast or lunch talking about Emirati culture Jumeirah Mosque - a group talk at 10am Saturday - Thursday - very well done and a beautiful mosque A boat trip around the Marina out towards the Palm At the Top (of Burj Khalifa) buy tickets on line in advance for a quarter of the price Dinner by the Fountains at Dubai Mall/Souk Desert Safari Water Park - Wild Wadi/Aquaventure Dinner in the Madinat restaurants by the water with the view of the Burj Al Arab in the background Drinks at the top of a tall building to see the Palm e.g. The Observatory in the Marina Mariot Drinks on a beach at sunset (any of the Jumeirah hotels but I think Jumeirah Beach Hotel is very good) Afternoon tea in Burj Al Arab Shopping to include aquarium in Dubai Mall/Skiing in Mall of the Emirates If you want to go a bit further afield the Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi is stunning and a fabulous experience what ever your faith. The blue Entertainer will reduce the cost of a lot of the above! Have fun! And then if you want to go further afield: Hatta Pools for an early morning breakfast BBQ and swim The Blue Souq in Sharjah - beautiful buildings and interesting shops Al Arsa Souq in Sharjah a fascinating place!!!!! ** (both souqs are located on the creek opposite the dhow moorings - past the fish market and the plant Souq) *** A late afternoon drive up Jebel Hafeet in Al Ain - a gorgeous road and a wonderful view, especially at sunset. (If there are no visa problems) drive up the west coast to Khasab in Oman, the road is magnificent, and take a full day dhow cruise through the fijords - swim around Telegraph Island, see the remote villages on accessible by bots, watch the dolphins playing in the bow waves of the dhow, enjoy a BBQ lunch on board the dhow, and see the smugglers in their speed boats take off for Iran in the late afternoon on the trip home - quite a sight!!! This dhow cruise is much, much more interesting than the Mussandam one on the East Coast. I usually drive up the night before with my guests, stay at the Golden Tulip, which, although a bit old now, has the most fabulous views - amazing! The dhow cruise company in the hotel is an excellent one - I always use that one - the crew on their dhows are locals and have a great deal of knowledge about the area - most of them come from the remote villages up there, speak English, and are great story tellers. (The dhow crew on the east coast cruises are usually foreigner workers - Indians, etc - know little about the area). The dhow company will collect you from the hotel and drop you back there in the afternoon. It is very convenient and makes for a lovely weekend.
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 20:05
This is a day out I always do with visitors: Explore the art galleries / antique shops / exhibits in the wind towers of Bastikiya then lunch in the lovely courtyard of the XVA art hotel. Wander around to the Museum ( fort) then after that stroll down through the old material souk to the creek, cross over on an abra to the spice/ gold souk. End with a taxi to the Park Hyatt and have a drink in the bar by the creek watching the sunset over the water and fab views of Dubai. If short of time then lunch at the XVA art hotel is always lovely to do it has such a great atmosphere http://www.xvahotel.com/
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 19:56
I always make sure our visitors go to the Sheikh Mohammed Centre for Cultural Understanding. It's brilliant :)
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 19:50
Souk Madinat Jumeirah with all the shops, plus great view of Burj al Arab
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 19:40
Take the monorail along the Palm to the Atlantis Hotel (vouchers in the Family Entertainer). Visit the Wharfage to see the dhows being loaded with cargo.
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 19:03
Great thread! I too have a visitor coming soon and need some things to keep her entertained whilst I'm at work.
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 17:19
Big Bus Tour - includes a tour of the souks, abra crossing, cruise on the creek and gives a really good overview of Dubai (you can do 1 or 2 days). Buy tickets on line for a discount. Sheik Mohammad Cultural Centre - do great walking tours, breakfast or lunch talking about Emirati culture Jumeirah Mosque - a group talk at 10am Saturday - Thursday - very well done and a beautiful mosque A boat trip around the Marina out towards the Palm At the Top (of Burj Khalifa) buy tickets on line in advance for a quarter of the price Dinner by the Fountains at Dubai Mall/Souk Desert Safari Water Park - Wild Wadi/Aquaventure Dinner in the Madinat restaurants by the water with the view of the Burj Al Arab in the background Drinks at the top of a tall building to see the Palm e.g. The Observatory in the Marina Mariot Drinks on a beach at sunset (any of the Jumeirah hotels but I think Jumeirah Beach Hotel is very good) Afternoon tea in Burj Al Arab Shopping to include aquarium in Dubai Mall/Skiing in Mall of the Emirates If you want to go a bit further afield the Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi is stunning and a fabulous experience what ever your faith. The blue Entertainer will reduce the cost of a lot of the above! Have fun!
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 17:02
Abra across the creek is still as good as it was 20years ago when I first visited Dubai,wish the beaches were like they were then!, you could watch the local men mending their nets on Jumeirah beach!!
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 16:50
) *Abra is a good shout, I think it's 150Dhs for a 1 hour private cruise. You can spend half a day doing that and wondering around the various souks Or just 1 AED in each direction to sit on the boat with the normal population who use the Abra for their daily travel back and forth across the creek - which is much more fun :)
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 16:31
*RTA ferry cruise from Dubai Marina (past the Palm, see Burj al Arab, Atlantis etc) *Abra is a good shout, I think it's 150Dhs for a 1 hour private cruise. You can spend half a day doing that and wondering around the various souks *Souk al Bahar for lunch/dinner with a view of the fountains, maybe followed by a fountain lake ride! I've started making a list of things to do as a lot of people have threatened to visit once we're settled! Hope to add to the list from this thread ;)
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 14:57
Hi I have visitors coming this month and I'm new to Dubai. What are the must see things to do? Are there any tour companies you would recommend? Any help would be much appreciated!!!!! Gold Souk Abra across the creek Fountains at Downtown
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 14:38
The Big Bus Tour is recommended, as they will take you everywhere that is KEY to be SEEN! http://platinum-heritage.com/ - do REALLY good desert safari's Afternoon Tea @ Atmosphere or the Burj Al Arab - Skyview Bar

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY