Getting a Mortgage in the UK - what a nightmare....... | ExpatWoman.com

Getting a Mortgage in the UK - what a nightmare.......

Latest post on 20 September 2014 - 07:45
My sister and her husband went through a broker who arranged their first mortgage last year and a second buy to let mortgage last month. They had to complete a massive amount of paperwork and emails but got there eventually. I spoke to him last month and have started the process for a second house we'd like to buy so I know it's possible. His [email protected] Hope he can help x
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 21:55
We are in the final throes of completing a house purchase in Scotland. We are just over 50, have existing property and a reasonable amount of savings and were not asking for a large loan. We are contributing over 50% of the purchase price. We got it through RBS/Natwest offshore but the paperwork, cross checks, invasive questions, proofs of identity, emails, phone calls etc nearly sent us mad! Good luck to anyone that succeeds and be prepared for some tough private questions regarding your spending habits. yeh there isa lot more security now because of the money laundering act, you have to provide notarised id etc and i know that only a handful of banks will offer non resident loans its wont be the normal high st banks, offshore ones or brokers etc.
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 21:51
Wow must have changed in the last few years. I got mine about 2 years ago and it was no problem whatsoever, it's with Barclays International and everything was done over the phone, email and courier.
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 21:27
We are in the final throes of completing a house purchase in Scotland. We are just over 50, have existing property and a reasonable amount of savings and were not asking for a large loan. We are contributing over 50% of the purchase price. We got it through RBS/Natwest offshore but the paperwork, cross checks, invasive questions, proofs of identity, emails, phone calls etc nearly sent us mad! Good luck to anyone that succeeds and be prepared for some tough private questions regarding your spending habits.
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 18:26
I got one in the last few months via HSBC. It was an horrific experience. I was on the phone night and day being pushed from pillar to post for about 4-5 weeks, but got there eventually. My advice is to go through the offshore premier team if you already have an account with them. When I first spoke to the mortgage team they told me they no longer loan to expats, which isn't true! You will end up paying a higher interest rate than UK equivalent mortgages :-(
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 18:20
http://www.krbs.com/download_file/view/841/497/ Try Kent Reliance, but only available on property in London and South East! <em>edited by summer breeze on 18/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 18:01
GE - I spoke to a broker today who started laughing when I mentioned being an expat and wanting a mortgage. I had no idea we would have a problem getting one. Better start buying some scratch cards when I am next back in the UK then.
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 17:49
If Lloyds say no, you may have a chance elsewhere. It also may be worth trying a broker as they will have access to majority of banks and building societies
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 17:47
Thanks ladies for your replies. We do have a flat back in the UK and have been told if we sell it we can transfer the mortgage to another property. The problem is that the mortgage we have now will not go very far towards buying the house of our dreams. My husbands account is with Lloyds so I don't think we will good candiates for a HSBC mortgage. There has to be a way though surely? Thanks Geordie Expat for the link x <em>edited by MollyMooMoo on 18/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 17:44
Here's an article from July's Telegraph, it may be of some help. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/expat-money/10993002/New-mortgage-for-expats-buying-to-let-in-England-and-Wales.html
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 17:35
Similar to Ireland when the recession hit some of the worst performing loans belonged to expats that just stopped paying as they didn't live there,or their plans to rent or move changed as a result of the economy. While the banks have legal recourse its generally too costly for an individual mortgage. In Ireland these loans were approx only 1-2% of the over all lending book of the banks but they have since started practicing tighter controls therefore these mortgages are considered high risk. Technically there is no issue getting a mortgage as an expat, provided you meet the general criteria.
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 17:26
It could have been different for us as we were transferring our previous mortgage and just getting a better deal.
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 17:21
My understanding is that as a non resident you can't get a mortgage in the UK but I could be wrong. HSBC do Expat Mortgages - might be worth speaking to them.
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 17:21
I was just about to say the same, we managed through HSBC.
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 17:20
Even with a UK bank account it's not possible from any of the major lenders, however I have heard HSBC UK are looking at this especially if you are a premier customer. We have been through this recently.
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 17:18
Yes. My husband has had the same Bank Account since he was 18 at the same branch.
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 17:09
Very unlikely especially since they changed the rules recently. Do you have a UK bank account?
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 17:03
I have recently discovered that trying to get a mortgage back in the UK is almost impossible as no one is lending to expats. Does anyone know if there is a way around this? <em>edited by MollyMooMoo on 18/09/2014</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY