question rent comittee - evicted for typical reason that family will move in but reasl estate asked to visit our house. | ExpatWoman.com

question rent comittee - evicted for typical reason that family will move in but reasl estate asked to visit our house.

Latest post on 19 September 2014 - 16:07

we received 12 month noticed and evicted end of October. reason mentioned on letter : his son from London will move in. but with his agreement, we have already extended 4 month.. we fully aware that nobody will move in. Today we received a mail saying that some real estate will come in your house and we refused. we think that he will put the house for sale .... Can we approach rent committee or nothing we can do ... ?
<em>edited by nath on 19/09/2014</em>

Latest post on 09 January 2015 - 12:55
Yes, you have a case. The LL lied to get you out. Take it to the Rent Committee (*not* RERA).
Latest post on 08 January 2015 - 21:06
I am looking for some advice about our situation. Our landlord gave us 11 months notice by email, not notary republic for the reason that he was gifting the house to his daughter. We gave him the benfit of the doubt and moved out although we didn't want to. A few months down the line we have now discovered that the property has been re-let to someone else. Can anyone give me concrete advice as to if i would have a case at the Rent Commitee and what would be the procedure for me?
Latest post on 11 November 2014 - 14:05
First of all let me mention that I am a tenant like most of us here. But I do agree to some posts here that 12 months notice plus 4 months extra (on OP request) is more than enough. I agree that lying is not good but still I guess 16 months is more than fair amount of time tenants to move. What more do we tenants expect? I know that we cannot choose new apartment 12 months in advance but that is not fault of THAT landlord. [b'>I have seen many landlords taking undue advantage of tenants but in this case, I cannot really be angry on the LL.[/b'> Ultimately its their property so they should be able to make some decision about it. Yes, they might want to rent it higher to someone else, but in case of fair amount of notice period, frankly it should not matter. Why not? The rules are there for a reason, not to victimize the LL, to protect tenants from being thrown out every year. I am curious, if the eviction notice is served to you after being in your property for 8 months, you would still be able to say enough notice period, doesn't matter.... I am glad that we agree on the point that rules help protect tenants. As mentioned before, I am a tenant and not a LL. [b'>So I guess if an LL is considerate and goes according to rules, we should also be fair to LL.[/b'> Yes, what I was saying (my opinion) is that 12 months is enough notice. If you are staying there for 8 months or 8 years. By the way, I am curious to know what according to you would be 'enough' notice period. Do reply please. The rules are introduced after the boom and crash, so the landlords can not evict you because you don't agree to pay the crazy increase they demand in times of hikes and to soften the crash that follows. The landlord is not considerate in this case, he gave an eviction notice because someone from his family is moving in and obviously it is not the case. It is not about the notice period being enough or not, he can not evict the tenant just in case this or that happens. Period. I was wondering if you were evicted on unfair grounds would you still be saying 'the notice is enough, not necessary to look for my rights... ' Yes, the rules exist for good reason and that is why I appreciate them. It protects me as a tenant. I respect your opinion of the issue as each one is entitled for their own, otherwise the world would be a dull place! In this case, yes, I do think LL was WRONG in giving false reason (as we assume from what OP says), but I do not think LL is so inconsiderate, as LL did respect OP's 'request' for 4 months of extension 'after' 12 months of notice period. As to your question- If I were evicted on unfair grounds- If I am given 12 months eviction notice period, I would definitely say that the duration is enough. I would not bother about the reason. After all, that is not my property. Of course if LL wants me out for some false 'charges' against me I would definitely fight it out- but that has nothing to do with the notice period. I would fight even if it was 2 years notice period. Btw- I am still curious to know what is or what should be the ideal notice period according to you people!
Latest post on 10 November 2014 - 18:42
Everybody here is debating but...are you 100% sure that the Landlord is not going to move in? Or some relative? What if the real estate company is also a management/maintenance company and the LL wants to see what is to be done before he moves in!?!? Proof is in the pudding...
Latest post on 10 November 2014 - 18:34
First of all let me mention that I am a tenant like most of us here. But I do agree to some posts here that 12 months notice plus 4 months extra (on OP request) is more than enough. I agree that lying is not good but still I guess 16 months is more than fair amount of time tenants to move. What more do we tenants expect? I know that we cannot choose new apartment 12 months in advance but that is not fault of THAT landlord. [b'>I have seen many landlords taking undue advantage of tenants but in this case, I cannot really be angry on the LL.[/b'> Ultimately its their property so they should be able to make some decision about it. Yes, they might want to rent it higher to someone else, but in case of fair amount of notice period, frankly it should not matter. Why not? The rules are there for a reason, not to victimize the LL, to protect tenants from being thrown out every year. I am curious, if the eviction notice is served to you after being in your property for 8 months, you would still be able to say enough notice period, doesn't matter.... I am glad that we agree on the point that rules help protect tenants. As mentioned before, I am a tenant and not a LL. [b'>So I guess if an LL is considerate and goes according to rules, we should also be fair to LL.[/b'> Yes, what I was saying (my opinion) is that 12 months is enough notice. If you are staying there for 8 months or 8 years. By the way, I am curious to know what according to you would be 'enough' notice period. Do reply please. The rules are introduced after the boom and crash, so the landlords can not evict you because you don't agree to pay the crazy increase they demand in times of hikes and to soften the crash that follows. The landlord is not considerate in this case, he gave an eviction notice because someone from his family is moving in and obviously it is not the case. It is not about the notice period being enough or not, he can not evict the tenant just in case this or that happens. Period. I was wondering if you were evicted on unfair grounds would you still be saying 'the notice is enough, not necessary to look for my rights... '
Latest post on 10 November 2014 - 15:28
First of all let me mention that I am a tenant like most of us here. But I do agree to some posts here that 12 months notice plus 4 months extra (on OP request) is more than enough. I agree that lying is not good but still I guess 16 months is more than fair amount of time tenants to move. What more do we tenants expect? I know that we cannot choose new apartment 12 months in advance but that is not fault of THAT landlord. [b'>I have seen many landlords taking undue advantage of tenants but in this case, I cannot really be angry on the LL.[/b'> Ultimately its their property so they should be able to make some decision about it. Yes, they might want to rent it higher to someone else, but in case of fair amount of notice period, frankly it should not matter. Why not? The rules are there for a reason, not to victimize the LL, to protect tenants from being thrown out every year. I am curious, if the eviction notice is served to you after being in your property for 8 months, you would still be able to say enough notice period, doesn't matter.... I am glad that we agree on the point that rules help protect tenants. As mentioned before, I am a tenant and not a LL. So I guess if an LL is considerate and goes according to rules, we should also be fair to LL. Yes, what I was saying (my opinion) is that 12 months is enough notice. If you are staying there for 8 months or 8 years. By the way, I am curious to know what according to you would be 'enough' notice period. Do reply please. OK so yes 12 months is a long notice period. The problem is that most of us cannot start looking properly until the last few weeks, then what happens if there is nothing suitable. If we were allowed to go down the monthly rent cheque route, perhaps LL would be more amenable to giving their current tennants more flexibility. I can't imagine that every time a property is relet that it happens overnight.
Latest post on 10 November 2014 - 15:13
we received 12 month noticed and evicted end of October. reason mentioned on letter : his son from London will move in. but with his agreement, we have already extended 4 month.. we fully aware that nobody will move in. Today we received a mail saying that some real estate will come in your house and we refused. we think that he will put the house for sale .... Can we approach rent committee or nothing we can do ... ? edited by nath on 19/09/2014 The notice for eviction has to be for one of four reasons, family moving in or selling are two of the options. On my eviction notice it doesn't mention the one of the four legal reasons. If they are selling I don't think you can do anything about it as it is a legitimate reason to evict, however if you approach the rent committee ( not RERA) if they move another tenant in after you have left to raise the rent then you will need proof of this. Be aware though there was a poster on here who took her LL to court because of this and she lost.
Latest post on 10 November 2014 - 15:13
A - it would be great if you could start looking for somewhere 12 months in advance, but that's impossible as the places you like then will not be available 12 months down the line! B - market rent is a moot point. There is quite a variation when you look at the calculator C - you can always raise your rent if the caculator says you can D - so give your tennant 12 months notice and move back in. Sorry, but I'm so fed up of people saying it's all the tennants fault. We need protecting from certain LL Perfect points mentioned! I just wanted to add regarding last line- I do not think anyone here is saying that it is always tenant's fault. Each case is different, each LL/ tenant is different. I am sure that here we have way more cases where LLs are horrible to the tenants!
Latest post on 10 November 2014 - 15:10
First of all let me mention that I am a tenant like most of us here. But I do agree to some posts here that 12 months notice plus 4 months extra (on OP request) is more than enough. I agree that lying is not good but still I guess 16 months is more than fair amount of time tenants to move. What more do we tenants expect? I know that we cannot choose new apartment 12 months in advance but that is not fault of THAT landlord. [b'>I have seen many landlords taking undue advantage of tenants but in this case, I cannot really be angry on the LL.[/b'> Ultimately its their property so they should be able to make some decision about it. Yes, they might want to rent it higher to someone else, but in case of fair amount of notice period, frankly it should not matter. Why not? The rules are there for a reason, not to victimize the LL, to protect tenants from being thrown out every year. I am curious, if the eviction notice is served to you after being in your property for 8 months, you would still be able to say enough notice period, doesn't matter.... I am glad that we agree on the point that rules help protect tenants. As mentioned before, I am a tenant and not a LL. So I guess if an LL is considerate and goes according to rules, we should also be fair to LL. Yes, what I was saying (my opinion) is that 12 months is enough notice. If you are staying there for 8 months or 8 years. By the way, I am curious to know what according to you would be 'enough' notice period. Do reply please.
Latest post on 09 November 2014 - 17:49
A - it would be great if you could start looking for somewhere 12 months in advance, but that's impossible as the places you like then will not be available 12 months down the line! B - market rent is a moot point. There is quite a variation when you look at the calculator C - you can always raise your rent if the caculator says you can D - so give your tennant 12 months notice and move back in. Sorry, but I'm so fed up of people saying it's all the tennants fault. We need protecting from certain LL
Latest post on 09 November 2014 - 17:43
I agree with posters that 12 months is enough notice. You know you are going to move out and you have loads of time to start looking for a nice place. Additionally, extreme greed aside, what is wrong with LL's expecting market rents for their place? I rent out our house and haven't raised the rent in a while. That aside, I actually do want to move into my own place (moved back to Dubai in Aug), but can't as I have to give 12 months notice! Is that fair? So its ok for them to pay less than the market and its ok for them to be in my house for a whole year while I pay higher market rents and cant even live in my own place!
Latest post on 09 November 2014 - 16:41
First of all let me mention that I am a tenant like most of us here. But I do agree to some posts here that 12 months notice plus 4 months extra (on OP request) is more than enough. I agree that lying is not good but still I guess 16 months is more than fair amount of time tenants to move. What more do we tenants expect? I know that we cannot choose new apartment 12 months in advance but that is not fault of THAT landlord. [b'>I have seen many landlords taking undue advantage of tenants but in this case, I cannot really be angry on the LL.[/b'> Ultimately its their property so they should be able to make some decision about it. Yes, they might want to rent it higher to someone else, but in case of fair amount of notice period, frankly it should not matter. Why not? The rules are there for a reason, not to victimize the LL, to protect tenants from being thrown out every year. I am curious, if the eviction notice is served to you after being in your property for 8 months, you would still be able to say enough notice period, doesn't matter....
Latest post on 09 November 2014 - 15:28
Geordie expat- I agree with you that LL need to be honest with tenants. No doubt about that. The LL that OP says definitely is WRONG in giving incorrect information. What I mean is that 12+ 4 months is enough time given to vacate a place. As a tenant, we cannot expect to occupy the house forever. I agree that there are tons of LLs who are extremely greedy and care a damn about tenants. It is definitely unfair. But let us be true to ourselves that RERA rules are in favor of tenants which is good for us. I am sorry, but I do not understand what you mean by ' If we all did that, we'de be moving every 12 months'. Do you think your LL will give you eviction notice on the day you sign the contract? LOL :biggrin: It has been known!!. Yes they do favour the tennants, but it's the ones who just give in and let the LL get away with lies. That's what annoys me the most. It's not always easy to find somewhere suitable, especially since you can't really start looking until the last few weeks or so. That is where most, if not all problems arise.
Latest post on 09 November 2014 - 15:24
What worries me about fighting them and staying is - this scenario: http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/topic229813-apartment-wear-and-tear.aspx
Latest post on 09 November 2014 - 15:23
Geordie expat- I agree with you that LL need to be honest with tenants. No doubt about that. The LL that OP says definitely is WRONG in giving incorrect information. What I mean is that 12+ 4 months is enough time given to vacate a place. As a tenant, we cannot expect to occupy the house forever. I agree that there are tons of LLs who are extremely greedy and care a damn about tenants. It is definitely unfair. But let us be true to ourselves that RERA rules are in favor of tenants which is good for us. I am sorry, but I do not understand what you mean by ' If we all did that, we'de be moving every 12 months'. Do you think your LL will give you eviction notice on the day you sign the contract? LOL :biggrin:
Latest post on 09 November 2014 - 14:58
First of all let me mention that I am a tenant like most of us here. But I do agree to some posts here that 12 months notice plus 4 months extra (on OP request) is more than enough. I agree that lying is not good but still I guess 16 months is more than fair amount of time tenants to move. What more do we tenants expect? I know that we cannot choose new apartment 12 months in advance but that is not fault of THAT landlord. I have seen many landlords taking undue advantage of tenants but in this case, I cannot really be angry on the LL. Ultimately its their property so they should be able to make some decision about it. Yes, they might want to rent it higher to someone else, but in case of fair amount of notice period, frankly it should not matter. Sorry, but why should we give in to the LL greediness. If we all did that, we'de be moving every 12 months. Yes it's their property, but if we are honest with them, they should be honest with us. It is attitudes like this that make people suffer with undue high rent hikes.
Latest post on 09 November 2014 - 14:43
First of all let me mention that I am a tenant like most of us here. But I do agree to some posts here that 12 months notice plus 4 months extra (on OP request) is more than enough. I agree that lying is not good but still I guess 16 months is more than fair amount of time tenants to move. What more do we tenants expect? I know that we cannot choose new apartment 12 months in advance but that is not fault of THAT landlord. I have seen many landlords taking undue advantage of tenants but in this case, I cannot really be angry on the LL. Ultimately its their property so they should be able to make some decision about it. Yes, they might want to rent it higher to someone else, but in case of fair amount of notice period, frankly it should not matter.
Latest post on 08 November 2014 - 20:19
I heard somewhere that you can tell DEWA you got evicted for the reason that he or his family will move in and DEWA will then check when the next person tries to register the account, if it's the same name as the landlord/a family member. If that's not the case (meaning: it has been rented out to a different person, hence the reason for the eviction was incorrect), they can't register with DEWA or have to pay compensation in the order of 1 year's rent to the previous, evicted tenant... Did anyone ever do that and get such a compensation? Would be interesting because we have to move as well due to "landlord moving in" but our LL owns 26 flats in our building and its curious he has chosen ours to move into... By the way- if the eviction note was NOT certified by a notary public, it is null and void! A simple letter is not sufficient, it has to be notarized in order to be valid!!
Latest post on 20 September 2014 - 11:00
The OP can notify RERA of her eviction and her suspicions that the landlord intends to rerent the property and mention the calls from the property agency. RERA won't do anything at the moment, but RERA can list the property in some database they have, which will prevent any prospective tenants from registering the property with Ejari and even dewa (I think) for a full two years after the OP has moved out. If the property is being sold, the OP can't do anything about it especially if the new owner tends to move in. But as long as the property is vacant/unsold, the owner can't rent it out for two years. Can OP actually DO anything? Till the LL actually does sell it or have another tenant go into the property whois not a relative, the LL has not actually DONE anythingt. OP suspects it only. And a mind breach is not a real breach. If it was half of the tweeting world would be in trouble for literary crimes. Go on with the organization of affairs as ordinary.Find a new place. And IIF it eventuates that the suspicions are correct, take the LL to RERA for compensation. edited by Londiamond on 20/09/2014
Latest post on 20 September 2014 - 07:26
Can OP actually DO anything? Till the LL actually does sell it or have another tenant go into the property whois not a relative, the LL has not actually DONE anythingt. OP suspects it only. And a mind breach is not a real breach. If it was half of the tweeting world would be in trouble for literary crimes. Go on with the organization of affairs as ordinary.Find a new place. And IIF it eventuates that the suspicions are correct, take the LL to RERA for compensation. <em>edited by Londiamond on 20/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 20 September 2014 - 00:54
He gave you 12 months notice plus 4 months extension and you want to drag him to RERA?! Because he deliberately lied in the hopes of getting round the law? For sure he should be dragged to the RC. If more tenants did that, fewer LLs would try to act as if the law didn't apply to them. Sorry but your not a victim here regardless of his reasons for wanting his villa back The OP may be stuck with the major costs of moving, plus what's likely to be a much higher rent, all because the LL deliberately lied - and you reckon she's not a victim? 12 months is a long time to make alternative arrangements. I don't know any other country where this would be the case Firstly, nobody actually gets 12 months to make alternative arrangements. That's a complete red herring. Most LLs and rental agents are only interested in dealing with people who are ready to rent NOW, not in a year's time. Secondly, I don't know any other country - at least not in the developed world - where tenants are expected to come up with a full year's rent in advance *and* pay the rental agent's fees. It's insanely unfair, but until it changes to a more realistic monthly payment system, tenants need the protection afforded by the laws here.
Latest post on 19 September 2014 - 23:14
i'm in the same position as OP - have been handed vacating letter to leave in Feb after 5 years in the same apartment with the same landlord. of course i know she won't be moving in here and will put it back on the market for a substantially higher rent. but Asti is right - 12 months is a long time to make alternative arrangements. I don't know any other country where this would be the case. The owner has the right to ask tenants to leave when their contracts expire, especially when they have been given 12 months notice. The alternative is of course, to offer to pay the market rent (or close to it). Good luck OP!
Latest post on 19 September 2014 - 20:25
He gave you 12 months notice plus 4 months extension and you want to drag him to RERA?! You had plenty of time to look for other accommodations. Sorry but your not a victim here regardless of his reasons for wanting his villa back. Fairness works both ways.
Latest post on 19 September 2014 - 20:17
thanks ladies, which one I have to seen first ?? RERA or Rent committee ??? I am confused which one to see first ? thanks for your good advise.
Latest post on 19 September 2014 - 18:32
YES of course GO TO RERA. We can't let landlords get away with this. :( Gets me angry every time I hear stories like this. Other poor tenants who have not sought advice just up & left. Trust me, RERA will give you the best advice. Fight for your rights. I did and I won!! Even if my tenancy came to me 10 days after expiry. :D
Latest post on 19 September 2014 - 16:10
Of course you can approach the Rent Committee. The LL is trying to evict you illegally by giving a false reason for wanting you out.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY