Is swimming with dolphins at Atlantis suitable for a 7 year old please ? | ExpatWoman.com

Is swimming with dolphins at Atlantis suitable for a 7 year old please ?

Latest post on 20 September 2014 - 17:25

My sister is visiting soon and her 7 year old daughter is very keen to try this. Sis is worried that she will actually be frightened of them up close and it will be a waste of money! TIA :)

Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 22:03
To be fair, noble though most of the posts on this thread are, very few have actually answered the OP's question... I think they have stated in more ways than one that swimming with captive dolphins is in no way suitable, and not just for a 7 year old. The OP asked if it would be a fun thing to do or too scary for a child, but the answers were beyond just about fun and frolic. Dubai has, fortunately, tons of fun, fantastic experiences for kids of that age and beyond that would remain equally memorable. If you ask me yes, a complete waste of money.
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 21:48
To be fair, noble though most of the posts on this thread are, very few have actually answered the OP's question...
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 19:57
FairyDust, this topic is about swimming with dolphins in Atlantis, not about protection of the animals. You should not be too aggressive imposing your points of view. Create your own thread and express yourself there. And yes, I dream to obtain an alligator bag! And I've got a mink coat already :) edited by marykar on 21/09/2014 It is the money that we pay to swim in these places that is funding the cruel murder and kidnapping of these animals. In Japan every September dolphins are trapped into bays where they are sold to aquariums from around the world. Those that are not bought are brutally murdered. If we didn't go to aquariums to see them perform or swim with them there will be no demand for these places to exist. I have watched both the documentaries and I am ashamed that I have contributed to this cruel enterprise. Apart from the distances these animals swim, their family pods are like our family units. They stay together for life until death or kidnapping by one of these institutions. They mourn their loved ones that have passed like we do. Like many people I bought into the line that they are being protected, it's good for our education etc. this is not the case. No one is trying to push their view onto anyone, we are just trying to educate and inform people of what happens to these animals so that people an educated decision. If you watch the documentaries and still think it's ok to keep these creatures in captivity then that's up to you.. Great post starsouthern. When I worked with terminally ill children many years back I arranged for a little boy to swim with the dolphins, it's all he wanted. It took everything in my being to go ahead with the plan once we got there and I saw these beautiful creatures in this small pool,obese and bored. That was my turning point and from then on I promised these beautiful creatures that I would never support this cruelty. Anyone wanting to swim with dolphins on my watch got an amazing canoe/boat ride and I swear the wild dolphins knew that these children needed extra special treatment. Their antics were something to behold. You make a difference voting with your feet.......SW in the US have seen a massive dive in attendance and share values since Blackfish has circulated.
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 10:41
You are a lot more diplomatic FD than I wanted to be. Bragging about owning a mink coat and wanting an Alligator skinned bag is awful. Just shallow, with only material things in mind - harvested and made using the most brutal and cruel methods. As I said - ugly on the inside. Poor children!
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 10:36
And yes, I dream to obtain an alligator bag! And I've got a mink coat already :) edited by marykar on 21/09/2014 And you think this makes you big and clever? One can only surmise from this statement exactly what kind of person you are and no amount of education would change your mind on anything. Clearly you're an advocator of animal cruelty - animals having their skins ripped off their backs whilst they're alive etc. Sadly marykar, people with your attitudes are very VERY ugly on the inside. edited by FairyDust on 22/09/2014 You are a lot more diplomatic FD than I wanted to be. Bragging about owning a mink coat and wanting an Alligator skinned bag is awful.
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 10:34
And yes, I dream to obtain an alligator bag! And I've got a mink coat already :) edited by marykar on 21/09/2014 And you think this makes you big and clever? One can only surmise from this statement exactly what kind of person you are and no amount of education would change your mind on anything. Clearly you're an advocator of animal cruelty - animals having their skins ripped off their backs whilst they're alive etc. Sadly marykar, people with your attitudes are very VERY ugly on the inside. <em>edited by FairyDust on 22/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 10:28
FairyDust, this topic is about swimming with dolphins in Atlantis, not about protection of the animals. You should not be too aggressive imposing your points of view. Create your own thread and express yourself there. And yes, I dream to obtain an alligator bag! And I've got a mink coat already :) edited by marykar on 21/09/2014 It is the money that we pay to swim in these places that is funding the cruel murder and kidnapping of these animals. In Japan every September dolphins are trapped into bays where they are sold to aquariums from around the world. Those that are not bought are brutally murdered. If we didn't go to aquariums to see them perform or swim with them there will be no demand for these places to exist. I have watched both the documentaries and I am ashamed that I have contributed to this cruel enterprise. Apart from the distances these animals swim, their family pods are like our family units. They stay together for life until death or kidnapping by one of these institutions. They mourn their loved ones that have passed like we do. Like many people I bought into the line that they are being protected, it's good for our education etc. this is not the case. No one is trying to push their view onto anyone, we are just trying to educate and inform people of what happens to these animals so that people an educated decision. If you watch the documentaries and still think it's ok to keep these creatures in captivity then that's up to you..
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 08:08
Do you really think that dolphins in Musandam are not in some kind of captivity?? They're not captive in any way shape or form! They are free swimming in the ocean, and they CHOOSE to come in and play in the bow wakes of the dhows. They come into the sheltered waters to calve. I've swum with a wild school of dolphins in the mangroves in Abu Dhabi - they come and play around the boats. They CHOOSE to interact with people, not forced to. ETA: Exactly right Nomad. All I would ask is that people at the very least watch these movies - log onto the Cove Guardian site and SEE what is happening and what they contribute to when they go to these things. If then, you can still go with a clear and clean conscience, that's up to you. But at least look into in first. Education is key and when so many people are turning their backs, boycotting and protesting against dolphinariums and water parks - what does that tell you? <em>edited by FairyDust on 22/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 08:00
We have had visitors do it with a little one who was 4. They don't actually 'swim' with the dolphins, they stand in the water up to waist height, with a group of about 10 other people, and the dolphin is made to do tricks and they get to stroke the dolphin and interact with it by throwing a ball or ring to the dolphin who then brings it back, they also get to 'kiss' the dolphin. I think all children have to be accompanied by an adult.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 21:39
I agree but I think it's the same mentality that keeps people smoking even though they know it's killing them...Lots of highly intelligent people smoke - why ? and why do they take their kids to see creatures held captive that they know should be swimming free ? Not my problem ....
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 19:26
How sad is it when seemingly educated people refuse to raise their own awareness, despite reading posts that should, at the very least, cause some measure of concern? I have been to the Dolphinarium just as its a Dubai thing to do with bored kids in the summer and I felt sad for the beautiful sea creatures, they are highly intelligent and get bored and suicidal doing the same silly tricks in a massively confined space. But after reading this I wont go back. I don't want to see the documentary, just reading about it here is upsetting enough. But what makes things worse is that people can purposefully not want to care. What hope can these poor caged creatures have as long as people still pay despite knowing they are suffering. There is none so blind as he who will not see.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 19:01
Do you really think that dolphins in Musandam are not in some kind of captivity?? Strange comment, ML? They're swimming free in the ocean ...
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 18:49
Do you really think that dolphins in Musandam are not in some kind of captivity??
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 18:36
@Marykar, Fairy Dust's posts are in no way trying to impose her view on anyone.....she is merely stating facts. If you haven't watched the related videos you can't pass judgement.She as am I are urging people to watch the videos before making a decision to support this inhumane practice. Her post points out the facts,cruelty at its worst. As far as posting on the thread the OP asked about a child swimming with dolphins and we all have a right to reply wether in the positive or the negative. @Blondie007 please watch The Cove before bringing the kids in ( depending on their ages ) as it is terribly distressing and not appropriate for young children.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 14:12
We did this at Atlantis with the sea lions and dolphins. There were children there 5 and above. All enjoyed it. So yes the age is fine and they will enjoy it. I want to add after reading the responses on here last night I have asked around and was able to obtain "The Cove". I will be watching it to open my eyes to this and if appropiate may even share with my children. It is very distressing and made me feel ill. :-(
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 14:12
FairyDust, this topic is about swimming with dolphins in Atlantis, not about protection of the animals. You should not be too aggressive imposing your points of view. Create your own thread and express yourself there. And yes, I dream to obtain an alligator bag! And I've got a mink coat already :) <em>edited by marykar on 21/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 14:08
We did this at Atlantis with the sea lions and dolphins. There were children there 5 and above. All enjoyed it. So yes the age is fine and they will enjoy it. I want to add after reading the responses on here last night I have asked around and was able to obtain "The Cove". I will be watching it to open my eyes to this and if appropiate may even share with my children.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 13:34
Looking for somebody sharing her experience in DOING it :) not somebody asking NOT to do :) And what life lesson is this to give your child? That murder and animal abuse are ok? Go and watch the suggested films, then come back and say you can go and support these places with a clear conscience. People are trying to educate others like you, that this is no longer an acceptable activity. When you go to these things, you DIRECTLY support murder and abuse. India has declared that dolphins are sentient beings and classed them as 'non-human' citizens that are protected and with rights. People are fighting the world over to shut these places down. Please don't be ignorant or naive of the horrible things you support. <em>edited by FairyDust on 21/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 11:05
Looking for somebody sharing her experience in DOING it :) not somebody asking NOT to do :)
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 06:26
Please DON'T support this cruel practice and it IS cruel! These dolphins were not bred in captivity, but torn from their family pod in the wild, many of them having to watch their family members be brutally murdered. If you want to know where the majority of these dolphins come from, just look up Sea Shephard's Cove Guardians, who are right now, in Taiji Cove (the killing cove) Japan, having to watch the cove turn red, day after day with the blood of these beautiful ones being massacred in their hundreds. The lucky ones - if you can call them that, are manhandled out of the tiny pens and transported by truck and flown all over the globe to dolphinariums, to live a life of captivity. They are starved and abused to force them to 'perform' for human entertainment. Their life spans are virtually cut in half being kept in captivity. I'm sorry, but I will never understand why some people find this acceptable - it's not. Watch The Cove and Blackfish - or log on and watch the live streaming updates from the Cove Guardians and see the brutality against these marvelous, intelligent animals - and they are intelligent. Just because they don't walk on two legs or speak the same language doesn't mean people should dismiss that. They're complex animals. Humans need to stop abusing animals for their own entertainment. Book a trip to the Musandam and see them in the wild. Or arrange to go out with the Dubai Dolphin Project to survey them in the UAE costal waters. <em>edited by FairyDust on 21/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 01:09
Please, those who have done it, share your experience! My friends are coming to visit us with kids and want to do it, I was thinking to follow them with my 4 yo daughter! Please, tell us about it!
Latest post on 20 September 2014 - 22:45
After watching The Cove and Black Fish I will never visit places that keep dolphins and whales captive.
Latest post on 20 September 2014 - 22:12
LT thanks for putting it across so well....
Latest post on 20 September 2014 - 21:44
I'm going to swim with them on Thursday, but I don't think it's suitable for kids that young!
Latest post on 20 September 2014 - 21:10
Sorry darlingboys for the highjack :) @ Nomad Agree. And I am not debating domestic vs. wild or marine. The way I see it is keeping any animal trapped (at home, in a zoo, in an aquarium…) is against nature and its will. Great relationships could form yes, but wouldn’t those animals still prefer to live with their own species… edited by Carambar on 20/09/2014 Dogs and cats have lived in a symbiotic relationship with humans for millennia, most other animals, dolphins included have not. Only the most feral dog or cat will avoid human contact and company, and the majority actively seek it out. There is no logical comparison between species which have adapted themselves, for mutual self interest to live alongside humans, with free ranging creatures such as dolphins. The latter group have nothing to gain from contact with humans and everything to lose. To the OP, please do not take any child to see these beautiful creatures abused by their captivity, it is not an edifying lesson. Unlike keeping a pet, which does teach a child the valuable life qualities of respect, compassion and patience.
Latest post on 20 September 2014 - 20:09
@Carambar , I see the point you are making but the key is dogs were domesticated thousands of years ago. It would be pure insanity at this point in time to ' free ' all domestic animals, at the rate rabbits , cats and dogs breed the planet would be overcome with ' ex-pets '. It's not practical and IMHO the next best way to deal with the cards that have been dealt by the domestication of dogs etc. is to provide the best homes and care one can for our pets. In fact I couldn't have managed my life without my pets, they teach unconditional love and forgiveness....qualities sadly lacking in the human species ! . Domestic animals have served man well, just google what help they bring to the blind,and any number of other conditions. Putting your head in the sand and saying sorry I won't have them because they are not free won't solve any problems , they no longer have the ability to fend for themselves if they were 'set free'. Just wander the streets of DXB and see all those that have been turfed back out on the streets to roam freely ,their lives are nothing but misery and suffering and finally a painful death. Sorry for the thread drift....;) <em>edited by Nomad on 20/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 20 September 2014 - 19:52
Sorry darlingboys for the highjack :) @ Nomad Agree. And I am not debating domestic vs. wild or marine. The way I see it is keeping any animal trapped (at home, in a zoo, in an aquarium…) is against nature and its will. Great relationships could form yes, but wouldn’t those animals still prefer to live with their own species… <em>edited by Carambar on 20/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 20 September 2014 - 19:22
Marine mammals for eg dolphins swim up to 100 miles a day , a killer whale has to swim up to 500 miles a week to feed properly. My feelings are that all WILD animals that are caged or are used to to entertain are abused......take a trip to the local zoo :( From a practical point of view it doesn't make sense to keep a ' pet' dolphin,my point above.....but the relationship between man and dog grew out of each helping the other. Dogs and cats rabbits etc have been domesticated over thousands of years , some do return to their feral ways but the relationship between man and their domesticated pets has been in the large part successful. Joy and George Adamson of Born Free fame were the first to re integrate wild ' pets ' circus animals, animal 'actors ' lions cheetahs etc back into the wild. They both wrote about how you could never truly domesticate these wild species. edited by Nomad on 20/09/2014 <em>edited by Nomad on 20/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 20 September 2014 - 18:41
A very touchy issue for some. These highly intelligent mammals don't have the option they are forced to interact with humans in a captive environment. A far better idea is to take a boat trip in Oman and see them in their natural environment swimming alongside the boat, and at times ' racing ' in front. I urge all who are thinking of supporting captive marine mammal entertainment.......watch Blackfish, it will change your mind......:( Totally agree with what you are saying. Maybe a little off topic, but how is this different from keeping dogs and cats at home? I am not trying to start an argument or anything just want to understand, as i refused to have pets all of my life cause i thought it's the same.
Latest post on 20 September 2014 - 17:49
A very touchy issue for some. These highly intelligent mammals don't have the option ,they are forced to interact with humans in a captive environment. A far better idea is to take a boat trip in Oman and see them in their natural environment swimming alongside the boat, and at times ' racing ' in front. I urge all who are thinking of supporting captive marine mammal entertainment.......watch Blackfish, it will change your mind......:( <em>edited by Nomad on 20/09/2014</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY