No more Buckle Up in the Back :( | ExpatWoman.com

No more Buckle Up in the Back :(

Latest post on 24 September 2014 - 10:30
Long-awaited seatbelt law comes into force in ‘near future’, says head of UAE Federal Traffic Council http://7daysindubai.com/long-awaited-seatbelt-law-comes-force-near-future-says-head-uae-federal-traffic-council/ Let us see!!
Latest post on 24 September 2014 - 09:27
Lesley is an incredible woman for what she has done. I have to agree with Londiamond, if that is what she is saying - that the campaign needs more "local" support to actually make the safety issue and saving lives initiative a LAW and in government. So that this law can protect and save the lives of SO many children, whose lives are innocently lost everyday on our roads, due to lack of care, attention and knowledge - that children need to be securely and safely buckled up and in!
Latest post on 24 September 2014 - 09:13
In response, I will clarify the point I made as it seems without correct grammar it is irrelevant. The reason why it took an expat to start it is because carseats are important to western expatriates because western governments have invested a lot of money into educating their people. The same money has not been invested in the same things locally. This investment has made western expatriates knowledgeable. Over the years, knowledge has come across as betterment. This began, amusingly, with English speaking expatriates talking down to non-native English speakers, as though the language, and knowing it, somehow made them superior. In time, the local community grew resentful of the attitudes and whatever was said by one of these expatriates was seen as another way to act superior. It was not seen for what is really was. In this case, a way to save lives. This is a stereotype. Stereotypes are seen before people. So before the listener sees a person trying to help, they see a person trying to make them [the listener'> appear uneducated. Automatically, the listeners becomes defensive and nothing is heard. By stepping down, the gate is now open that a local can pose the idea to the government, that a local in a higher position with knowledge can pose the idea. And, it will not be a case of the expatriate feeling smug - that they WERE RIGHT - it will be a case of the right thing being done based on the facts. This is politics. Politics I can predict played a role in Lesley walking away as this is a large, uphill climb for a foreigner. [url=http://7daysindubai.com/long-awaited-seatbelt-law-comes-force-near-future-says-head-uae-federal-traffic-council/'>link[/url'> Looks like the authorities have decided to start heading towards the initiative.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 16:33
http://7daysindubai.com/road-safety-stalwart-says-buckle-campaign-mentally-exhausting/
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 15:44
Wonder why Lesley didn't put it out that she was going to quit and ask if anyone else wanted to take over - or did she? Surely there are some mums out there that would be interested. Really ? you think someone could do all that ? endless driving round schools giving presentations, all the paperwork, all the emails... I don't know anyone.. I do think someone could do it - Lesley did it and surely there is someone else who feels as strongly as she does about it ... and who can afford to pay !!
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 13:31
In response, I will clarify the point I made as it seems without correct grammar it is irrelevant. The reason why it took an expat to start it is because carseats are important to western expatriates because western governments have invested a lot of money into educating their people. The same money has not been invested in the same things locally. This investment has made western expatriates knowledgeable. Over the years, knowledge has come across as betterment. This began, amusingly, with English speaking expatriates talking down to non-native English speakers, as though the language, and knowing it, somehow made them superior. In time, the local community grew resentful of the attitudes and whatever was said by one of these expatriates was seen as another way to act superior. It was not seen for what is really was. In this case, a way to save lives. This is a stereotype. Stereotypes are seen before people. So before the listener sees a person trying to help, they see a person trying to make them [the listener'> appear uneducated. Automatically, the listeners becomes defensive and nothing is heard. By stepping down, the gate is now open that a local can pose the idea to the government, that a local in a higher position with knowledge can pose the idea. And, it will not be a case of the expatriate feeling smug - that they WERE RIGHT - it will be a case of the right thing being done based on the facts. This is politics. Politics I can predict played a role in Lesley walking away as this is a large, uphill climb for a foreigner. edited by Londiamond on 21/09/2014 I understand what you're saying and I agree, to a point. It's a little sad that people would put their own feelings above the safety of others. After all, a good idea and education, is a good idea and education - no matter WHO it comes from. You can't simply say nothing is implemented or done, because people have a chip on their shoulders.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 13:29
Londiamond, I couldnt agree more. Please dont get me wrong, Buckle up has done a great job in awareness and promoting good practices, however I have witnessed a nasty altercation in a school car park a while ago. It is one thing to promote and educate the public but another to put down people of certain nationalities. The volunteer was remarkably rude and nasty in her approach to a mother who had not buckled up her children.It seemed more like a fight between cultures ( one of course coming across as far superior) rather than a volunteer helping the public.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 13:26
In response, I will clarify the point I made as it seems without correct grammar it is irrelevant. The reason why it took an expat to start it is because carseats are important to western expatriates because western governments have invested a lot of money into educating their people. The same money has not been invested in the same things locally. This investment has made western expatriates knowledgeable. Over the years, knowledge has come across as betterment. This began, amusingly, with English speaking expatriates talking down to non-native English speakers, as though the language, and knowing it, somehow made them superior. In time, the local community grew resentful of the attitudes and whatever was said by one of these expatriates was seen as another way to act superior. It was not seen for what is really was. In this case, a way to save lives. This is a stereotype. Stereotypes are seen before people. So before the listener sees a person trying to help, they see a person trying to make them [the listener'> appear uneducated. Automatically, the listeners becomes defensive and nothing is heard. By stepping down, the gate is now open that a local can pose the idea to the government, that a local in a higher position with knowledge can pose the idea. And, it will not be a case of the expatriate feeling smug - that they WERE RIGHT - it will be a case of the right thing being done based on the facts. This is politics. Politics I can predict played a role in Lesley walking away as this is a large, uphill climb for a foreigner. edited by Londiamond on 21/09/2014 You are in no position to surmise why Lesley took the decision she did unless of course, you are a close personal friend....
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 13:02
Wonder why Lesley didn't put it out that she was going to quit and ask if anyone else wanted to take over - or did she? Surely there are some mums out there that would be interested. Really ? you think someone could do all that ? endless driving round schools giving presentations, all the paperwork, all the emails... I don't know anyone.. I do think someone could do it - Lesley did it and surely there is someone else who feels as strongly as she does about it ...
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 12:43
In response, I will clarify the point I made as it seems without correct grammar it is irrelevant. The reason why it took an expat to start it is because carseats are important to western expatriates because western governments have invested a lot of money into educating their people. The same money has not been invested in the same things locally. This investment has made western expatriates knowledgeable. Over the years, knowledge has come across as betterment. This began, amusingly, with English speaking expatriates talking down to non-native English speakers, as though the language, and knowing it, somehow made them superior. In time, the local community grew resentful of the attitudes and whatever was said by one of these expatriates was seen as another way to act superior. It was not seen for what is really was. In this case, a way to save lives. This is a stereotype. Stereotypes are seen before people. So before the listener sees a person trying to help, they see a person trying to make them [the listener'> appear uneducated. Automatically, the listeners becomes defensive and nothing is heard. By stepping down, the gate is now open that a local can pose the idea to the government, that a local in a higher position with knowledge can pose the idea. And, it will not be a case of the expatriate feeling smug - that they WERE RIGHT - it will be a case of the right thing being done based on the facts. This is politics. Politics I can predict played a role in Lesley walking away as this is a large, uphill climb for a foreigner. <em>edited by Londiamond on 21/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 12:29
Londiamond, what is your native language? I'm curious, too. Although, I understand what she means, and I happen to agree.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 12:16
Wonder why Lesley didn't put it out that she was going to quit and ask if anyone else wanted to take over - or did she? Surely there are some mums out there that would be interested. Really ? you think someone could do all that ? endless driving round schools giving presentations, all the paperwork, all the emails... I don't know anyone..
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 10:47
On a positive, parents who never before did are buckling their children NOT because they have to, because they WANT to. And this is the reason why. This lady has changed lives. I hope she leaves knowing she has not given up, this was bigger than her and she did a great deal in its life. If she saved one life, she SAVED ONE LIFE. Well done! Give it time now. It will breathe. Now that an expat has stepped away the change can be a local initiative drawn by the locals. not a response to expat demand. So why did it take an expat to start it in the first place then ? Overlooking the popint and the way things go. We brought this with us. It took an expat because it is not a big deal here however it is to a western expat. We have a reputation for being **** and thinking we do everything the perfect way and so when we start to complain regarding how things are done, the we do it better and who does not do it the way we do it is not evolved sign flashes above our heads, giving the listener the instant reaction of getting defensive. So even when they agree, the do not do it as they think it tells the person with the sign above their head that they were right. It is petty politics practiced all over the world. Nay, it is human instinct to be the better one. Is it just me or did none of that actually make sense ? That this is not understood is the exact reason people will never understand why things do not change. Seeing what it is and calling it as it is takes the blinders off. No, actually I think it's just bad grammar. Just calling it as it is, of course. Londiamond, what is your native language?
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 10:26
Wonder why Lesley didn't put it out that she was going to quit and ask if anyone else wanted to take over - or did she? Surely there are some mums out there that would be interested.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 10:20
Well done Lesley Culley for all the lives you have saved with your campaign. We all totally understand why you have deiced to end your campaign. It is easy to count the number of infant and child deaths that have resulted from children not being restrained in car seats or with seat belts, their little bodies can be counted in morgues, hospitals, being repatriated to their home countries to be buried near the family and friends. These can be counted. What cannot be counted is all of the babies and children who are still here, to run around with their families and friends, BECAUSE THEY WERE RESTRAINED IN THE CARS that were involved in accidents. The children who had near misses, but survived because of their car seats and being buckled up. Well done Lesley. You made a difference for sure. We all applaud you.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 10:17
On a positive, parents who never before did are buckling their children NOT because they have to, because they WANT to. And this is the reason why. This lady has changed lives. I hope she leaves knowing she has not given up, this was bigger than her and she did a great deal in its life. If she saved one life, she SAVED ONE LIFE. Well done! Give it time now. It will breathe. Now that an expat has stepped away the change can be a local initiative drawn by the locals. not a response to expat demand. So why did it take an expat to start it in the first place then ? Overlooking the popint and the way things go. We brought this with us. It took an expat because it is not a big deal here however it is to a western expat. We have a reputation for being **** and thinking we do everything the perfect way and so when we start to complain regarding how things are done, the we do it better and who does not do it the way we do it is not evolved sign flashes above our heads, giving the listener the instant reaction of getting defensive. So even when they agree, the do not do it as they think it tells the person with the sign above their head that they were right. It is petty politics practiced all over the world. Nay, it is human instinct to be the better one. Is it just me or did none of that actually make sense ? That this is not understood is the exact reason people will never understand why things do not change. Seeing what it is and calling it as it is takes the blinders off. No, actually I think it's just bad grammar. Just calling it as it is, of course.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 10:09
I can't imagine how many lives Lesley has saved or how many kids she has prevented from being harmed in the car ( thankfully we'll never know) but I imagine numbers are quite large. A job well done!!!!
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 10:08
On a positive, parents who never before did are buckling their children NOT because they have to, because they WANT to. And this is the reason why. This lady has changed lives. I hope she leaves knowing she has not given up, this was bigger than her and she did a great deal in its life. If she saved one life, she SAVED ONE LIFE. Well done! Give it time now. It will breathe. Now that an expat has stepped away the change can be a local initiative drawn by the locals. not a response to expat demand. So why did it take an expat to start it in the first place then ? Overlooking the popint and the way things go. We brought this with us. It took an expat because it is not a big deal here however it is to a western expat. We have a reputation for being **** and thinking we do everything the perfect way and so when we start to complain regarding how things are done, the we do it better and who does not do it the way we do it is not evolved sign flashes above our heads, giving the listener the instant reaction of getting defensive. So even when they agree, the do not do it as they think it tells the person with the sign above their head that they were right. It is petty politics practiced all over the world. Nay, it is human instinct to be the better one. Is it just me or did none of that actually make sense ? I read it twice and then gave up as still couldn't make any sense of it. Lesley has done a fantastic job and hopefully someone else will take up the cause. <em>edited by amelia on 21/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 10:06
On a positive, parents who never before did are buckling their children NOT because they have to, because they WANT to. And this is the reason why. This lady has changed lives. I hope she leaves knowing she has not given up, this was bigger than her and she did a great deal in its life. If she saved one life, she SAVED ONE LIFE. Well done! Give it time now. It will breathe. Now that an expat has stepped away the change can be a local initiative drawn by the locals. not a response to expat demand. So why did it take an expat to start it in the first place then ? Overlooking the popint and the way things go. We brought this with us. It took an expat because it is not a big deal here however it is to a western expat. We have a reputation for being **** and thinking we do everything the perfect way and so when we start to complain regarding how things are done, the we do it better and who does not do it the way we do it is not evolved sign flashes above our heads, giving the listener the instant reaction of getting defensive. So even when they agree, the do not do it as they think it tells the person with the sign above their head that they were right. It is petty politics practiced all over the world. Nay, it is human instinct to be the better one. Is it just me or did none of that actually make sense ? That this is not understood is the exact reason people will never understand why things do not change. Seeing what it is and calling it as it is takes the blinders off.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 09:52
I gave up DT
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 09:47
On a positive, parents who never before did are buckling their children NOT because they have to, because they WANT to. And this is the reason why. This lady has changed lives. I hope she leaves knowing she has not given up, this was bigger than her and she did a great deal in its life. If she saved one life, she SAVED ONE LIFE. Well done! Give it time now. It will breathe. Now that an expat has stepped away the change can be a local initiative drawn by the locals. not a response to expat demand. So why did it take an expat to start it in the first place then ? Overlooking the popint and the way things go. We brought this with us. It took an expat because it is not a big deal here however it is to a western expat. We have a reputation for being **** and thinking we do everything the perfect way and so when we start to complain regarding how things are done, the we do it better and who does not do it the way we do it is not evolved sign flashes above our heads, giving the listener the instant reaction of getting defensive. So even when they agree, the do not do it as they think it tells the person with the sign above their head that they were right. It is petty politics practiced all over the world. Nay, it is human instinct to be the better one. Is it just me or did none of that actually make sense ?
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 09:27
On a positive, parents who never before did are buckling their children NOT because they have to, because they WANT to. And this is the reason why. This lady has changed lives. I hope she leaves knowing she has not given up, this was bigger than her and she did a great deal in its life. If she saved one life, she SAVED ONE LIFE. Well done! Give it time now. It will breathe. Now that an expat has stepped away the change can be a local initiative drawn by the locals. not a response to expat demand. So why did it take an expat to start it in the first place then ? Overlooking the popint and the way things go. We brought this with us. It took an expat because it is not a big deal here however it is to a western expat. We have a reputation for being **** and thinking we do everything the perfect way and so when we start to complain regarding how things are done, the we do it better and who does not do it the way we do it is not evolved sign flashes above our heads, giving the listener the instant reaction of getting defensive. So even when they agree, the do not do it as they think it tells the person with the sign above their head that they were right. It is petty politics practiced all over the world. Nay, it is human instinct to be the better one.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 09:14
Very very sad news that Buckle up in the Back will be no more. Lesley wrote a status update on the facebook page, stating that with a heavy heart, she was shutting down the campaign, due to running costs, time and other reasons. I think it's shocking that there is STILL no law that states children must be strapped in, in a vehicle, use child seats etc. There is no doubt in my mind that Buckle Up has saved countless lives with the education and awareness programs. Lesley deserves much praise and thanks for all that she's done over the years. I couldn't agree more. She deserves huge praise for this and I don't doubt that she has saved lives which is something to be deeply proud of.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 08:52
On a positive, parents who never before did are buckling their children NOT because they have to, because they WANT to. And this is the reason why. This lady has changed lives. I hope she leaves knowing she has not given up, this was bigger than her and she did a great deal in its life. If she saved one life, she SAVED ONE LIFE. Well done! Give it time now. It will breathe. Now that an expat has stepped away the change can be a local initiative drawn by the locals. not a response to expat demand. So why did it take an expat to start it in the first place then ?
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 08:16
On a positive, parents who never before did are buckling their children NOT because they have to, because they WANT to. And this is the reason why. This lady has changed lives. I hope she leaves knowing she has not given up, this was bigger than her and she did a great deal in its life. If she saved one life, she SAVED ONE LIFE. Well done! Give it time now. It will breathe. Now that an expat has stepped away the change can be a local initiative drawn by the locals. not a response to expat demand.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 06:37
Very very sad news that Buckle up in the Back will be no more. Lesley wrote a status update on the facebook page, stating that with a heavy heart, she was shutting down the campaign, due to running costs, time and other reasons. I think it's shocking that there is STILL no law that states children must be strapped in, in a vehicle, use child seats etc. There is no doubt in my mind that Buckle Up has saved countless lives with the education and awareness programs. Lesley deserves much praise and thanks for all that she's done over the years.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY