Is it just me?? | ExpatWoman.com

Is it just me??

Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 16:56
Yes its bad again, everyone is back from summer holidays and influx of new expats, as we all remember - when you first land here and trying to find your way around Dubai you would get lost endlessly.......however I must say, I have been here for over 8 years and it is soooooooo much better then when it used to be! it was CRAZY back then, speeding was so much worse and there was hardly an speed cameras, it was frightening x
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 15:22
A taxi driver told me it was the worst he had seen since just before the "crash" in 2008. He told me how bad driving standards had become recently. 2 minutes later a car ran into the back of him. The irony was not lost...
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 18:27
I agree it is crazy out there at the moment. Driving my kids to school is so stressful now that I have to drink camomile tea before I leave the house. I just don't understand why some drivers think it is 'ok' to queue jump, undertake and slip into the tiniest space in front of you just to get ahead a few metres. What really makes my blood boil is that a lot of these selfish, self-important drivers are mums with kids in the back WITHOUT seat belts on. <em>edited by MollyMooMoo on 21/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 12:27
"safe following distance" is not a widespread concept here. No matter which lane I am in, I always leave plenty of room in front of me. Most the 2+ car accidents occur because so many people ride each others' ***** And is it just me, or do Oasis water truck drivers seem to be involved 1/4 of the time? what's up with that There was one involved in a bump this morning by MOE ;-) If you try to leave a safe distance in front them someone always pulls into the space I find the taxis to be terrible drivers.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 12:10
"safe following distance" is not a widespread concept here. No matter which lane I am in, I always leave plenty of room in front of me. Most the 2+ car accidents occur because so many people ride each others' ***** And is it just me, or do Oasis water truck drivers seem to be involved 1/4 of the time? what's up with that
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 11:58
Yes the roads are terrible at the moment. I see at least two accidents a day and the volume of cars on SZR is unbelievable. I don't remember it being so bad before. Are there more people in Dubai ? I did read that 500,000 visas had been processed in the last 7 months! and 5000 illegals were kicked out. I know what you mean about the accidents, it seems to be at least 2 a day on SZR Beck to the olden days when it was common to see accidents - at least, one a day when I first came.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 11:56
Yes the roads are terrible at the moment. I see at least two accidents a day and the volume of cars on SZR is unbelievable. I don't remember it being so bad before. Are there more people in Dubai ? I did read that 500,000 visas had been processed in the last 7 months! and 5000 illegals were kicked out. I know what you mean about the accidents, it seems to be at least 2 a day on SZR
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 11:54
Yes the roads are terrible at the moment. I see at least two accidents a day and the volume of cars on SZR is unbelievable. I don't remember it being so bad before. Are there more people in Dubai ?
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 11:50
Yes the roads are getting worse each day. I don't like driving here anymore. Pushy people, erratic driving.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 10:10
Its been terrible last few weeks. And what makes it worse is all the annoying people who try to push in at the front of a queue and make it take even longer - and some causing accidents in the process, which is what i saw last week due to someone trying to push in. Drove straight into the side of someone! Hope she learnt her lesson :-D
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 09:53
Yes the roads are busier and even the car parks in DIFC are much more full than I have ever known them to be.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 09:48
Rents increasing, people shifting to locations frther away to get cheaper rents, longer travel distances, roads will block. A 3 bed on Deira side is 60K, a 1 bed on this side is 100K. As people spread to save, traffic will worsen. And a lot have shifted to RAK, so those roads will be blocked too. Not really - i was on SZR going towards Deira; it was twice as busy as normal.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 09:45
So sorry to hear that....glad to hear you are ok though, I have seen plenty of questionable driving in the past week too. Yes I think you are right Londiamond about the rent increase and everyone having to move further out.....not going to get any better soon then! There also seems to be a lot more of the hyper aggresive types on the road. I was almost killed this weekend but someone overtaking on the hard shoulder and then cutting back in front... I had the children in the car and was really upset. I'm shaking thinking about it.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 09:39
There also seems to be a lot more of the hyper aggresive types on the road. I was almost killed this weekend but someone overtaking on the hard shoulder and then cutting back in front... I had the children in the car and was really upset. I'm shaking thinking about it. Not good.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 09:11
There also seems to be a lot more of the hyper aggresive types on the road. I was almost killed this weekend but someone overtaking on the hard shoulder and then cutting back in front... I had the children in the car and was really upset. I'm shaking thinking about it.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 08:34
it was pretty hectic this am on the way to work - usually at 6.30 am the roads are clear.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 08:20
Rents increasing, people shifting to locations frther away to get cheaper rents, longer travel distances, roads will block. A 3 bed on Deira side is 60K, a 1 bed on this side is 100K. As people spread to save, traffic will worsen. And a lot have shifted to RAK, so those roads will be blocked too.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 08:14
No it's not just you....it certainly wasn't this bad last school term! It's soooo stressful. Even to get a short distance takes so long....you can even see where you want to go, but it's Sooo long getting there...my foot is constantly on the brake
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 08:10
Or has the traffic gotten so bad that most of Dubai is gridlocked most of the time now? Has there been a influx of new people after summer? Seems there is so much more traffic everywhere now, hope Dubai is planning to open a new road or at least some more lanes on the main ones?? Al Ain road now is grid locked most of the time as are most other main roads, I am sure it is only going to get worse! Imagine by 2020.....

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY