Chicken Question | ExpatWoman.com

Chicken Question

Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 17:44

New to Dubai and been to Carrefour, Waitrose and Geant so far for groceries. I don't understand buying chicken here. Some packages are marked "Do Not Refreeze". Why? Is it to be cooked on the day of purchase? I asked a few customers and funny thing even they didn't know. We are a tiny family and back home we could buy frozen chicken, portion out the amount to cook and refreeze the rest.

Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 09:11
They say "don't re freeze" because they have already been frozen in the transporting phase. I have found that LuLu chickens smell like chlorine and never buy them. I usually buy Al Khazna or Al Ain chickens only as they don't have that chemical smell about them. I think the man thing to remember when eating store bought chicken is to cook it very, very well to reduce the possibility of bacteria.
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 16:24
Al Rawdha Farms and Al Khazna Farms chickens are good. USDA recently discovered that the risk of salmonella and other bacterial infection increases when you buy chicken that has been pre-cut. (There's a recent radio broadcast from NPR to confirm this.)
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 12:47
Thanks all !
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 21:13
GE the chickens in organic supermarket are pretty good - just don;t look at the price
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 21:06
You must be a really small family to refreeze a chicken here, the chucks are tiny!
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 18:08
It's fine to do as long as the meat has been handled properly. Of course there are no guarantees that this is the case although the same goes for all meat whether it be fresh, frozen or thawed. http://food.unl.edu/safety/safe-to-refreeze
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 17:57
Yes it is recommended, but a lot of people still do it. I always just look for fresh meat and to be honest I'm not that keen on the chickens you buy out here anyway.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 17:55
I dont think it's even a personal thing GE isn't it more than recommended by Food Health Authorities? I never either. It's potentially quite dangerous to defrost then refreeze due to bacteria on the chicken?Is that right? you can get salmonella poisoning. The chicken in the supermarket which says do not refreeze has either been frozen before then defrosted to be cooked that day orrr its been unfrozen since slaughtered for a long time that it wouldn't be advisable to freeze anymore. Again due to bacteria. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. Im sure so many do however defrost and refreeze qithout a single thing happening them but you never know when it could be that chicken thats contaminated.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 17:51
Yes, some are marked "do not refreeze" or "not for freezing" or "thawed" and it means it has already been frozen and thawed out when you buy it. It's not always obvious, so you do have to read the labels carefully to find the words "fresh chicken" on there. It is readily available though, you just have to check the labels :)
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 17:50
Just personal, but I would never refreeze previously frozen meat of any kind, unless I had cooked it first.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY