School programs 4th grade - a benchmark | ExpatWoman.com

School programs 4th grade - a benchmark

Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 23:21

dear all

Our daughter just started 4th grade at ACS-Doha coming from an Italian school. I am a bit puzzled as, since now, they did very very easy things, that she did in second grade in Italy.

E.g. math: the 2 times table! how to write numbers in letters - the concepts of "less than....greater than..."

English: spelling of very very simple words - absolutely non challenging for her! I imagine that a mother tongue kid should learn how to write those words in first grade. e.g. words like maid - make - do - undo -and so on.
Not even a word regarding grammar.

I am very puzzled.

What is your experience? What should they do in 4th grade in the american system?

If they go on like this, I have to homeschool her in the afternoon not only in italian Grammar, geography and history (which I expected) but even in math, in order to keep up with the Italian programme!!!

I am pretty discouraged.....

Latest post on 25 September 2014 - 10:42
Thank you very much. I will home school her....I knew I had to do it with Italian grammar and with other subjects which are not taught here, as History and Geography. I hoped I had not to do it with Maths.....
Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 17:17
Hi Eleonor, Sorry I can't help with the American school system, however I can give you my experience from sending my daughter to school in Qatar. We are British and the first school I sent my daughter to was definitely not the right fit academically. In the UK she was in an outstanding rated state school. Coming to Qatar over 5 yrs ago it was even then extremely difficult to get a school place. I was not happy with the standard or level ofteaching so pursued other options .We were offerd a place at DESS thankfully, if this hadn't been the case I was all for returning home. I guess what I'm saying is even when you get a school place and even when it's in a so called good school it's not always the right fit. This is also the case in the UK and I'm sure any where else. We while waiting for a new place did some home teaching at the level my daughter was capable of. While at the time I was really fed up with the whole thing I now look back and see the benefits and experiences my daughter gained from schooling and life in Qatar. She gained an amazing knowledge of geography and the world which couldn't be taught.