Really don't like Spinney's own brand items ..... | ExpatWoman.com

Really don't like Spinney's own brand items .....

Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 08:08

They seem to be clearing the shelves of other choices to put their own branded items on the shelves.

Their organic tinned tomato's are dreadful, really really bitter. Now the Tregor French eggs are gone off their shelves and replaced by Spinneys eggs, which are really not good at all. Tried something else, can't remember what, as there was no other choice and it also was not good.

Looks like I will have to start braving the dreaded Carrefour, ugh !

Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 16:40
I disagree. I seek out the Spinneys Everyday Value granulated sugar for my baking needs as I find the other brands' sugar crystals big enough to mar the texture of homemade cookies. Grrr, haven't found the sugar for a while...
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 15:59
Well I am going to eat my words as I have just had a look at the Spinneys egg box that was in the recycling bag... the organic free range eggs are from Ireland not local! But the yolk is so pale and the taste nothing like the Tregor / Waitrose / Duchy originals ones that I am surprised.
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 14:49
I remember what the other item is now, the tubes of tomato puree, they only stock their own brand now, had no choice so bought it, it's horrible, horrible ! Talllybait, Waitrose is not close to me, so I only pop in there if I am near Marina Mall or Al Thnya street, I don't go out of my specially to shop there.
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 10:38
I haven't been to Spinneys in ages. I do most of my shopping at Carrefour and pop into the Waitrose in Umm Suqeim on Al Thanya for the odds and ends (I dread the parking lot at Spinneys on Umm Al Sheif). I haven't looked too closely lately but Waitrose should still have the usual range of Waitrose brand products along with the other brands. As we all know Waitrose is essentially Spinneys at a slightly higher cost. Take a look in Waitrose and see if your favorite brands are still there.
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 10:34
just send them a link to this page....
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 10:27
I agree. Do you think if we give them our "constructive comments" they'd listen? [email protected]
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 09:49
Tescos at Choitrhams is the same Branded items are cheaper than Tescos own?
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 09:25
They taste ok. The greenheart ones are from their own chickens that run around - get locked up at night and are fed the scraps from the farm - ie, a vegetarian organic diet. Look on their websiste, i think it tells you. Ripe also do eggs.
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 09:22
mum2girls - the other annoying thing is that they were the same price as the imported ones when I presume they must be locally produced eggs or at most regional. Izzy - Do the Greenheart ones taste good? I wondered if the Spinneys ones were sourced from them as I have never seen any other local supplier of organic free range eggs ( other than Greenheart)
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 09:17
Izzy, are the Greenheart ones local ? I just can't stand the local eggs, free range or organic, outdoor or whatever, they just never taste good.
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 09:14
yes, Genie, I think they are making the classic mistake of forgetting who their customer base is and what they want. The reason I go to Spinneys is because I can usually have a choice of the brands I want and I am prepared to pay the premium, now that I can't find them, I will be going elsewhere. Mrs Mozz, you reminded me, I also tried their dried herbs and it was tasteless, I ended up throwing it out. Has anyone tried the new Geant near Jumeriah Park ? does it have a good selection ? might give that a try.
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 09:08
Try the Greenheart organic eggs - they are a little smaller than your regular eggs but Free range and organic. Also - not sure if this is sad or not but i rarely use tinned tomatoes and just blanch and chop good quality beef or plum tomatoes.
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 09:02
Agree about the eggs, compared to the imported ones from France/ UK they have no taste at all. I won't be buying them again. ETA - and as you say the really annoying thing is that they have cleared the shelves of the other brands as if trying to force you to buy the Spinneys brand if you want organic. It may work once but they seem to have forgotten that there are other supermarkets. <em>edited by Genie on 22/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 08:57
Ohhh totally agree...the tinned tomatoes are awful and have lots of the hard centre stalky bit in...their dried herbs are bad too! Didn't realise they had stopped the other organic egg brands, I thought they were out of stock, that's a real pain!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY