Nord Anglia School Al Barsha | ExpatWoman.com

Nord Anglia School Al Barsha

Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 14:10

I have been recently to look at Nord Anglia School and it does look really very impressive and the facilities at the school are second to none and classroom space. Not much mention was made of how school children are supported emotionally or educationally apart from the assessments and the school communicator and to be honest this is the most important aspect for me. Could anyone give any feedback as to this?

Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 19:14
Seriously, when I read the raving reviews about NAS I feel like people are talking about a different school. And this shows how important it is to keep in mind that no school feels the same for everyone! What feels like the best school in the world to some it might feel like the worse to another. It is all about the individual needs of each child/family. I personally don't relate to the comments above as we are not happy with the communication at NAS which is so praised here . Yes, the school news , general communication is great but once you go down to parent teacher level things change. Yes, we do get a general daily email but that aside, there is no personal feedback at all. I cannot even count the times my child came home with scratches, bumps and bruises without any mention by the teacher. This is just an example. Another selling point is the small class of 16. I thought I should mention that the layout of the class is particular , as there are 2 classes being joined together and separated only by a half wall. That makes at least 32 children roaming around from one class to the other at all times. I was told it is like that everywhere in the UK. I personally prefer the regular single class, I think it is less distractive. I had no idea the head is leaving after 3 years, and I really hope that is not true! Thanks for that perspective. Its great that so many people are so happy with their choice of school but at the end of the day its just another BC school with BC teachers....nothing too remarkable there. Lots of (new) schools do have open plan/pod areas in schools now and it is too noisy and too distracting for teachers and children especially if your child has sound sensory issues. Can anyone who has moved their child who was getting learning support in their previous school please comment on how your child is coping now without in house support please?
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 12:16
Seriously, when I read the raving reviews about NAS I feel like people are talking about a different school. And this shows how important it is to keep in mind that no school feels the same for everyone! What feels like the best school in the world to some it might feel like the worse to another. It is all about the individual needs of each child/family. I personally don't relate to the comments above as we are not happy with the communication at NAS which is so praised here . Yes, the school news , general communication is great but once you go down to parent teacher level things change. Yes, we do get a general daily email but that aside, there is no personal feedback at all. I cannot even count the times my child came home with scratches, bumps and bruises without any mention by the teacher. This is just an example. Another selling point is the small class of 16. I thought I should mention that the layout of the class is particular , as there are 2 classes being joined together and separated only by a half wall. That makes at least 32 children roaming around from one class to the other at all times. I was told it is like that everywhere in the UK. I personally prefer the regular single class, I think it is less distractive. I had no idea the head is leaving after 3 years, and I really hope that is not true!
Latest post on 27 January 2015 - 12:00
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cissie_and_Ada <em>edited by Farnie on 27/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 27 January 2015 - 11:47
FWIW, Nord Anglia is not new. There are 31 Nord Anglia schools across the globe. One of which is in Abu Dhabi, so hardly new to the UAE either. Rather than "Well I've heard x y and z on the internet so it must be true", like some online version of a Les Dawson sketch, why not actually go and visit the school. You would see from walking through the door, there is every single nationality represented within the school. And to be quite honest, to suggest anything otherwise, is ludicrous. <em>edited by Farnie on 27/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 27 January 2015 - 03:56
Thanks for comments about the heads everyone. Appreciate your views. Unfortunately NAS not for me. As I said in my previous post coming from a private school over 200 years old and going to a school 4 months old just does not cut it. Looking at Repton so will reply to the other posts. edited by Dubaiornot on 26/01/2015 Very blatant, and now getting comical.
Latest post on 26 January 2015 - 23:43
Thanks for comments about the heads everyone. Appreciate your views. Unfortunately NAS not for me. As I said in my previous post coming from a private school over 200 years old and going to a school 4 months old just does not cut it. Looking at Repton so will reply to the other posts. edited by Dubaiornot on 26/01/2015
Latest post on 26 January 2015 - 23:20
What is so good about NAS though? Serious question. Its the British Curriculum taught by predominately British Teachers.....same curriculum in other BC schools. I know class sizes are smaller, that is a positive thing on lots of levels but does leave less competition in class and less choice of friends. Surely people aren't that taken in by facilities? Top class teaching is the most important thing IMO. Considering the high fees, you would expect the opposite. Is there any teacher from NAS on the board that can confirm or deny that and I would genuinely love to hear what, [u'>specifically[/u'>, is so great about this school......I'm intrigued!.
Latest post on 26 January 2015 - 07:57
I agree. As a newbie just coming into Dubai and worried about finding the best suited school i think it is far too expensive for a school that is months old and with no established reputation in Dubai - at least from what i have heard. Facilities are good but we've discounted it as I did two other new schools due to the risk of going to a new school. It worries us also that the current heads will move after 3 ish years i believe so who knows if the new management will keep their word or not on class sizes, number of streams etc. Especially at 60 or 70000 AED. Maybe Im just ultra sceptical but rather be safe. But I understand this doesn't concern all and do respect their perspective. edited by Dubaiornot on 25/01/2015 edited by Dubaiornot on 26/01/2015 The heads aren't going anywhere and the board is there to safeguard the promises. However if you want a school that's been here a long time for secondary then DC and DESC are good choices.
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 23:21
I agree. As a newbie just coming into Dubai and worried about finding the best suited school i think it is far too expensive for a school that is months old and with no established reputation in Dubai - at least from what i have heard. Facilities are good but we've discounted it as I did two other new schools due to the risk of going to a new school. It worries us also that the current heads will move after 3 ish years i believe so who knows if the new management will keep their word or not on class sizes, number of streams etc. Especially at 60 or 70000 AED. Maybe Im just ultra sceptical but rather be safe. But I understand this doesn't concern all and do respect their perspective. edited by Dubaiornot on 25/01/2015 <em>edited by Dubaiornot on 26/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 24 January 2015 - 15:42
It is about what we were paying for my sons nursery fees before we left the UK anyway. But I agree, it is a lot of money.
Latest post on 24 January 2015 - 10:34
Quality aside.. Who are the people who can afford a schooling fee of AED 60K for KG1? I believe that's Nord Anglia's fee. It seems like a lot of people can. Those are average fees for most of the new schools...
Latest post on 24 January 2015 - 09:02
Quality aside.. Who are the people who can afford a schooling fee of AED 60K for KG1? I believe that's Nord Anglia's fee.
Latest post on 23 January 2015 - 23:45
I'm not going to get into a slanging match with anyone. People are entitled to their own opinion. My daughter goes to NAS, so I'm speaking from experience. All I can say is I thank God every day that we have been so blessed with an AMAZING school. Anyone reading this whose kids go to NAS, we know what we have! Am I right!! It's wonderful when you know that your kids are getting the best education and that they are so happy. Sammy1234 it's nice to know that you love Repton. I have no experience of a child going there so I couldn't give an honest opinion!!! You do of course, and have said you are proud of it, that is lovely. God forbid we ever had to leave Dubai, I would cry over my daughter leaving NAS. I just know that I will never get anything as good anywhere else. It sounds like you would feel the same about Repton to. We love our kids schools hey! Isn't it great we are all so happy!
Latest post on 23 January 2015 - 18:24
Can I also discount the opinion of anyone who can't spell? NAS might not be selective at present, but I am :loser:
Latest post on 23 January 2015 - 18:20
oh dear, sounds like a sore 'half of Repton have moved to NAS' kind of post to me. FWIW, my two children are extremely happy at NAS. Academically they have come from an outstanding school in the UK, where I was proud to be on the Governing body, so I know a good school with a good management structure when I see one. The communication is excellent (if not bordering on the OTT, but that is mostly to pacify the crazy Dubai parents who need to know the minutia of their children's lives) The facilities are also fantastic and the pastoral care is second to none. <em>edited by Farnie on 23/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 23 January 2015 - 17:13
loving the sun - I am afraid I have not applied to NAS. Sorry but you're jumping to the wrong conclusion. We are proud Reptonians. My kids year groups are not even being accepted by NAS at present so not a choice for me to make luckily. They hype about NAS is worrying which is why I posted the comment and which I see has been taken off. So much for a forum..To be clear though. NAS is not selective from where I am stood. They Hype is being created by the school heads and those Reptonians that moved to NAS will soon realise that every school in Dubai gets bad reviews. They just have to choose where they will move their kids to after NAS.
Latest post on 21 January 2015 - 08:19
Oh dear Sammy1234 that is a slating rant! Hope your day gets better
Latest post on 21 January 2015 - 08:01
And the award for most transparent "I was rejected from NAS and I'm grumpy" post goes to Sammy. What a load of rubbish.
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 10:35
As far as I understand there is no requirement by KHDA to have a Learning Support Department within a school. I asked about provision when applying to NAS Dubai and was told there would not be a department. I guess if any issues do arise I feel the staff will identify that. It may be they will add a department later as the school grows?
Latest post on 28 September 2014 - 22:59
That's what I thought too Lolacat so was very surprised. As I said, the lady I spoke to stated that because there would only be 16 in each class and a TA, there would be enough support! Perhaps its something as simple as she didn't know and there may well be a Learning Support Dept but that's what I was told. <em>edited by darlingboys on 28/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 22:37
In June when I enquired about places I did ask if there was a Learning Enhancement Dept/SEN Dept and was told no. The registrar at the time said that because there were 16 in a class and a TA, there would be sufficient support. I don't know if this has changed but that is one thing that I would be asking any school I was interested in. While your child may not have any difficulties now (entering FS 1 or 2), lots of specific learning differences cannot be detected or diagnosed until a child is older when SPECIFIC help and support would be needed and given ideally in school.
Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 08:11
We really think it's superb and the children are well supported. There is a thread under something like "new schools which opened this year" with a few other replies. The atmosphere of the place is what really makes it and I think is what the children appreciate. They have taken a little time with some routines (was week three before a levelled reading book came home for example) but compared to our previous school...it's streets ahead. In terms of support the pastoral system and the approachability of the teachers and school leadership is excellent and overall communications is excellent (there was a problem with ballet class but they sorted it out). They don't really have a special needs programme as such other than some support for G&T (though this has only just begun to get going) so if that's what your refering to you might want to talk to them about exactly how this might or might not work. We're very happy indeed and are prepared to forgive a couple of teething issues as long as they get sorted out, which so far, they have.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY