Idiots guide to the metro needed | ExpatWoman.com

Idiots guide to the metro needed

Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 15:56
Yaay! Awesome way to spend a day :)
Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 15:52
Reporting back - had a fab trip, 14aed for a day ticket - brilliant day out :-). One happy mother in law too! Although didn't rate the heritage village unless we missed something, also did the Abra each way over the creek <em>edited by cymraes on 23/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 10:16
If this is your first time on the metro and you don't plan on using it regularly, then just get a day pass. 14 AED is the price and gives you unlimited travel on the metro for the day. You can buy it via the ticket machines or at the ticket desk, and as asd250 said, the staff are indeed quite helpful. The day pass only gives you access to the regular carriages, not gold class. If you're heading towards the creek, the gold class carriage is at the rear. If you're heading towards MoE, the carriage is up front. If you're traveling off-peak (non rush hour) the carriages aren't crowded. Even during rush hour, if you're going opposite the main traffic flow, the carriages aren't bad. There is a women's and children's only carriage right next to the gold class carriage. To go to Heritage Village via metro, you will need to change from the red line to the green line at BurJuman. The closest metro stop to Heritage Village is Al Ghubaiba on the green line. The metro is indeed very nice. Clean and efficient and surprisingly convenient. It's ideal for getting to Bur Dubai or Deira as you don't have to worry about traffic or looking for parking.
Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 09:59
I have the silver card, it used to be 20aed and came with 14aed credit which should be enough to get you around for the day, but the staff can give you more detailed info, they are very helpful. Just tell them where you intend to go and they will advise. The reason i suggest this one is that i can use it for parking as well if I don't have have change so its still useful when I'm back in the car. Enjoy
Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 08:59
Tip… I got Gold Class tickets, thinking other classes would be crowded. I did not know where the Gold Class entry was and ended in the standard class… 4 times! LOL And, it was fine. Got there at the same time as the gold class passengers. If you specifically want Gold Class, make certain you know where it is (which end of the metro), and be early enough to get to it. And, by early enough I mean be there 5-10 mintes before the departure the first time. I kept arriving as the metro was about to leave.
Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 08:37
Thanks asd250 for the info, am quite looking forward to our adventure!
Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 08:27
the people at the metro station are quite helpful. they will happily advise you of the best ticket choices. you can pay in cash - they always have change - and also on your credit card. there are also machines standing around dispensing tickets if you would rather not stand in line waiting to speak to someone. its quite efficient that way
Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 08:05
Am taking my MinL for a day out today, car is in for service so am going to taxi/metro it. See from the metro website that the best ticket is a 'red ticket'. There is also a day ticket for 14aed is that the way to do it (sorry being a bit thick!) So I don't look like a complete clutz do I just buy this at a station, and how much charge should I put on it or just do the day ticket - is this all zones? Plan to go from MOE to Heritage village area and back to MOE area. Am ashamed to say I've been in Dubai over 5 years and never been on the metro! Thanks all in advance x

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY