Workmen with no ID | ExpatWoman.com

Workmen with no ID

Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 09:47
If you live in a apartment building or a villa compound with its in-house security that's known to you, ask the workmen to get a security guard who can confirm that similar work is going on in other flats/villas and can accompany the workmen and wait while the work in your place is completed.
Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 09:43
Make them call their head office in front of you. Tell the head office you won't let them in until they come back with ID. Good idea, didn't think of doing that. Thanks Guinness.
Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 09:40
Insist on ID. I am but we are at an impasse, the workmen can't provide ID as the company doesn't issue any. I need to go higher up the chain to complain about the policy of not providing any. In the meantime I'm just waiting for the service they provide to be cut off. Make them call their head office in front of you. Tell the head office you won't let them in until they come back with ID.
Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 09:37
If you suspect that they are legit, let them in. Keep your front door wide open and have the maid next to you at all times...
Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 09:32
Insist on ID. I am but we are at an impasse, the workmen can't provide ID as the company doesn't issue any. I need to go higher up the chain to complain about the policy of not providing any. In the meantime I'm just waiting for the service they provide to be cut off.
Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 09:14
Insist on ID.
Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 09:09
A service provider in our area is doing some work for which they need access to my home. I haven't been informed by the service provider what needs done and the workmen knocking on my door have no ID or documentation about what they are doing. I have had them at my door four times in the past few days and I keep telling them that without ID they are not entering my home. They have told me that they are subcontractors and aren't provided with ID. They keep insisting that they are wearing the company t-shirt so it's fine. When I asked for documentation I was shown a crumpled piece of paper about work in another area, my community was not mentioned. I'm sure they are legit as they wouldn't be digging up the street for fun but the fact remains I'm not letting someone in my home without something official. I've tried calling the company concerned but no-one ever picks up on their customer 'care' number. Does anyone know if there is a government department I can complain to? I think I recall a few years ago a newspaper article about the need for contractors etc to carry ID but I can't find any info now. I find it shocking that the company concerned doesn't provide notification or any ID or documentation when the workers require access to people's homes.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY