Turning Pointe | ExpatWoman.com

Turning Pointe

Latest post on 29 September 2014 - 14:10

Hi Ladies -
looking for feedback from Moms who have their Daughter's at Turning Pointe. I am considering switching my Daughter from her current school. She is in grade 4. I understand that Lara is amazing but what about the other teachers? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 15:31
Is this the company that advertisers on the radio, with a really annoying posh voice? ...... no thanks
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 10:55
Actually, the more that I think about it, I am not happy with TP but it is more of an organizational issue... They frequently stiff you of lessons rather than just not charging you for them. For example, I just got an email stating there is no class on Sunday. Well yes, Sunday is a holiday that has been in the school calendar for a long time now. So since their policy is not to have lessons if the school is closed, then why do I have to pay for Sunday's missed lesson? They are offering me a make-up class but I am not really interested in driving around Dubai for a 40 minute class. They should not be charging for Sunday, plain and simple... Owner, if you are reading this, I am getting fed up and will not be continuing with TP next term after more than 4 years!
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 09:50
I don't know how old your DD is but if she is playing mousy, I would have to assume that she is about 4 like my girls. There is a class observation at the end of each term for their age group. That is not a show and they have never told me that it was a "show". As for the broken foot, I understand that it is annoying but the boss probably felt that she was still ok to teach while it was healing...
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 09:46
@anondubai – errrrr.....there has always been an end of term show – I have watched them!!!!. All I want is for my daughter to be aware of just some of the basic ballet moves/steps (which she is not). I would also rather a teacher without a broken foot!!!! I know that some of the other mum's are not happy either and that's been reflected in the poor turnout in this term's class. Glad that you have had a positive experience with them though.
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 09:16
It seems that I am the only one happy with TP. Maybe my standards are too low...
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 06:32
I took my daughter out of Turning Pointe after we had to sign up for extra lessons when she was due to take a ballet exam. After the first extra weekend lesson I was told by the owner of the Company that she was not ready to take the exam but could just receive a certificate. I was furious as if I had been told this at the offset then I would not have sent her for the extra lessons and she would have just continued with her once weekly lesson. I felt extremely ripped off!!!
Latest post on 29 September 2014 - 21:46
I put mine in for two terms with Turning Pointe at school (at the end of which, yes, the teacher left), and decided no more. The teacher could not look and behave less motivated. An expat mum I knew here was not happy with the choice offered and opted to drive a long way out of her usual perimeters to a Russian ballet teacher for her daughter. For the price we pay here its sad that some places treat the activity like its just a chance for little girls to prance around in pretty tutus.
Latest post on 29 September 2014 - 21:20
I actually have had the opposite experience. My children's teacher was the same for 4 years. She is off on maternity leave now but she will be back. Yes, I understand your point about the end of term show but at no point did TP say that it was a show. It is an observation of a normal ballet class. TP says that they do not shows for the very young students. I also understand that you would like to see your daughter doing more intricate ballet steps but I don't think that that is generally done in the classes at school. They are mainly just for little girls to get a feel for ballet. It is expensive but I have yet to find a non expensive activity for children in Dubai...
Latest post on 29 September 2014 - 21:19
Dance Horizons - Safa The Ballet Centre - Jumeriah/Motor city Aspire Ballet DUbai - DSO/Jumeriah Step up - Motor city
Latest post on 29 September 2014 - 21:11
My daughter does ballet with Turning Pointe (at school) and I have to say I am not that happy with them. They change teachers alot (once my daughter had 3 in one term) and the end of term show has always been SO disappointing (not the kids fault may I add but the teachers - if I am going to pay a fortune for my daughter to learn ballet I would rather not see her pretending to be a mouse doing roly polys on the floor). I was told that things had improved so gave them the benefit of the doubt and paid for another term only to find out that the current ballet teacher has broken her foot and is teaching my daughter! I mean seriously!!!!! There is only 3 girls in the class (for the whole year) and now I know why. No way, will she be doing it with them next term.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY