Anyone contemplating on leaving Dubai ? | ExpatWoman.com

Anyone contemplating on leaving Dubai ?

Latest post on 29 September 2014 - 19:14

with rents increasing and generally cost of living increasing , dh and i are considering leaving dubai ..anyone in the same boat ?

Latest post on 06 October 2014 - 00:05
Yes it has become very expensive in cost, poor in quality generally, but safe It depends on your definition of "safe". For example, you are much less safe while driving here than in most Western countries. Your chances of being seriously injured or killed are significantly higher on UAE roads. I feel this blessing when i pick the newspaper in the morning. Which newspaper do you read? Most of the murders, violent crimes and burglaries (yes, they regularly happen here) are never reported in the English-language papers. They do get mentioned in the Arabic papers aimed at Emiratis, though. edited by Madge_Gustard on 05/10/2014 you joking ?? 7 days is nothing but a catalogue of crime.. what with that and the rubbish letters' page it's hardly worth picking up off the drive !!
Latest post on 05 October 2014 - 12:33
Yes it has become very expensive in cost, poor in quality generally, but safe It depends on your definition of "safe". For example, you are much less safe while driving here than in most Western countries. Your chances of being seriously injured or killed are significantly higher on UAE roads. I feel this blessing when i pick the newspaper in the morning. Which newspaper do you read? Most of the murders, violent crimes and burglaries (yes, they regularly happen here) are never reported in the English-language papers. They do get mentioned in the Arabic papers aimed at Emiratis, though. <em>edited by Madge_Gustard on 05/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 05 October 2014 - 07:03
Above all, I love how peaceful and safe this country is. Yes it has become very expensive in cost, poor in quality generally, but safe. I feel this blessing when i pick the newspaper in the morning. Just because crime is not reported in the newspaper doesn't mean it's not happening.
Latest post on 04 October 2014 - 23:33
Above all, I love how peaceful and safe this country is. Yes it has become very expensive in cost, poor in quality generally, but safe. I feel this blessing when i pick the newspaper in the morning.
Latest post on 04 October 2014 - 22:34
I believe it's government money that is generating growth in Dubai, not shopping. $32 billion announced in September for improving Al Maktoum Airport? And that is just one of many government projects here. Keeping in mind that Dubai is still a relatively small city and the UAE a very small country, it is getting a lot of smart government investment. How property values will hold up in the long run, though, is anyone's guess. So many new places being built but I'm not sure that beyond the "Winchester mystery house" style of building which keeps a lot of people employed, if Dubai will be able to keep enough employment for all the housing in the future.
Latest post on 04 October 2014 - 21:14
A meal at the food court isn't keeping shops in business. Just because malls are full doesn't mean people are spending money. I find things so expensive here that I have completely stopped shopping for anything I don't need immediately. I buy everything when I am in the US in the summer or on-line. I can have things shipped here for less than I can buy locally. We do fairly well in Dubai and don't buy here so I can only assume that a great many who live worrying about expenses day to day don't buy here either. Malls are entertainment to many and nothing more....a cool place to pass the time but no money changes hands. I just can't equate malls being full as the economy being good and people spending money. It isn't that simple. People are in malls for many reasons....spending not necessarily being one of them. edited by Catawba KSE on 01/10/2014 edited by Catawba KSE on 01/10/2014 Mall of the Emirates was the 10th most profitable mall in the world last year, so there are obviously money being spent. This thread is about leaving Dubai because residents don't feel as though they can continue to stay here and make money, let alone make ends meet. That has nothing to do with whether MOE makes money. How much of that profit is made from tourists not residents. Loads of people come to spend money in Dubai malls and leave....residents are still here with increasing costs and no salary increase. MOE might be full but that doesn't equate to residents being flush with cash as some people are suggesting. Me spending 40 AED at the foodcourt isn't keeping the mall in business if I'm not spending at the shops. Harrods in London is always full.....does that mean the UK economy is booming? I lived in London for 10 years and spent next to nothing in Harrods. I'd guess how busy Harrods is is not a good measure of how the local population is doing in London/the UK just as the fact that MOE is 10th most profitable mall in the is not a great indicator of how your average Joe is doing in Dubai or RAK. edited by Catawba KSE on 04/10/2014 edited by Catawba KSE on 04/10/2014 <em>edited by Catawba KSE on 05/10/2014</em>
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 04 October 2014 - 11:29
Indeed mrsb. I totally agree! Don't get me started on the mortgages and council rates, but I am watching the Aussie dollar like a hawk and its finally coming down yippee xx The decrease in the Aussie dollar is good news - and increase the value of our salaries here significantly. Let's hope it continues. The cost of living in Australia is very expensive and household help, dining out etc is definitely a luxury which is beyond the average income. I have the added problem of being Muslim and covering completely. It worries me what I see on the local Australian news channels - the media is terrifying the Australian public. There is so much misinformation being disseminated about what a burqa, Niqab, hijab actually are and why they are worn. I worry about what my 10year old DD would encounter at school should we move back there as she now covers, also. We are moderate Muslims in every aspect, but I don't think the general Australian public care at this stage; they are scared of what to them, is an unknown given the little, and often incorrect, information they are fed. Given the cost of living and Islamophobic atmosphere, it will sadly be difficult to return at the moment. And, I would love to go "home". Unfortunately, I don't think the home I left is there anymore. Hopefully, they will see some sense, get rid of the minority causing the terrible problems, and settle back to the tolerant, multicultural society it has always prided itself on.
Latest post on 04 October 2014 - 10:23
We could still save and travel but decided that it is just a good time to go. DD's school close for no valid reason. New school introducing new systems that are not well planned causing so much headache and frustration among parents. Working on my notice now. Found out that my gratuity is not being calculated according to the UAE Law. After all that I did for the company all these years, I may have to report them for that. School came out with new refund policy ...hence, no deposit refund even though I gave sufficient notice. Moved out a month ago and still no news about my deposit. There are a bunch of Ali Baba out there and they do get away with it. Dubai has been good to us, so no regret. I will not enjoy paying high tax and will miss my wonderful helper but we definitely need fresh start and a bit sanity.
Latest post on 04 October 2014 - 08:05
Indeed mrsb. I totally agree! Don't get me started on the mortgages and council rates, but I am watching the Aussie dollar like a hawk and its finally coming down yippee xx But look at what you get for your $$$ there compared to here. I would say quality of pretty much everything (including life) is far superior in Australia than Dubai <em>edited by Katalist on 04/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 03 October 2014 - 16:31
Our neighbour has recently move out of the country, our friend is moving out late this year, my DH colleague is moving out end of this month. We're staying for as long as we are still able to save significant amount of money. We'll definitely move out if that won't be the case.
Latest post on 02 October 2014 - 12:12
yeh tell me about the rent in auh, just been hit with a 25% increase, and nothing you can do about it. at least in dxb there are the rules still in place. When the rule was implemented to enforce some people to live in Abu Dhabi, there were quite a few people cheering the rule, including some people here.
Latest post on 02 October 2014 - 10:48
All the malls will attract residents, of course. But in the case of DCC, there are a lot of hotels in Deira. They may not be fashionable among western or more affluent tourists, but Deira is zone 1 for Russian/Central Asian tourists and quite a few shops on the streets and even in the mall will have Russian language signs. It's a real melting pot of nationalities down there, which never fails to surprise me. Even MoE has a burgeoning hotel cluster in Al Barsha. As residents we're probably surprised at the sheer volume of visitors, but as others have said, Dubai is an international crossroad due to the airlines and location. The whole world seems to pass through here. DCC and MoE has always been packed with obvious tourists, even before they were connected to the Metro. Not sure what these two malls offer that is not available in others, so I cant understand what makes them especially popular with tourists. Dubai Mall has lot of must-see attractions so that's understandable.
Latest post on 02 October 2014 - 09:26
DCC and MoE has always been packed with obvious tourists, even before they were connected to the Metro. Not sure what these two malls offer that is not available in others, so I cant understand what makes them especially popular with tourists. Dubai Mall has lot of must-see attractions so that's understandable. Not sure about what DCC has to offer, but I would think for some, tourists espeically, the indoor ski slope in MoE would be a draw.
Latest post on 02 October 2014 - 09:05
DCC and MoE has always been packed with obvious tourists, even before they were connected to the Metro. Not sure what these two malls offer that is not available in others, so I cant understand what makes them especially popular with tourists. Dubai Mall has lot of must-see attractions so that's understandable.
Latest post on 02 October 2014 - 09:00
So many of the shoppers in the malls are actually tourists. Dubai Mall is apparently one of the biggest tourist draws in the world (so I'm told). Dubai is a now a big tourist destination, partly because Emirates is very good at encouraging long layovers. A lot of visitors from India, Central Asia, Africa and even Europe come to Dubai to shop. I imagine it's probably why Festival City has struggled compared to the other malls. It's not accessible by metro so most tourists ignore it, whereas MoE, Dubai Mall and Deira City Centre are packed. That is what I was thinking. I do not think residents have the $ signs above their heads, I think it is tourists and that is why all of the developers are developing to benefit the tourists, not the residents. This however does not go in line with the big $ maker being Dragonmart - which it by far is. I do not know a lot of tourists who would select that as their destination of choice. So residents do spend, only not in the expensive zones. <em>edited by Londiamond on 02/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 02 October 2014 - 08:51
So many of the shoppers in the malls are actually tourists. Dubai Mall is apparently one of the biggest tourist draws in the world (so I'm told). Dubai is a now a big tourist destination, partly because Emirates is very good at encouraging long layovers. A lot of visitors from India, Central Asia, Africa and even Europe come to Dubai to shop. I imagine it's probably why Festival City has struggled compared to the other malls. It's not accessible by metro so most tourists ignore it, whereas MoE, Dubai Mall and Deira City Centre are packed.
Latest post on 01 October 2014 - 21:05
A meal at the food court isn't keeping shops in business. Just because malls are full doesn't mean people are spending money. I find things so expensive here that I have completely stopped shopping for anything I don't need immediately. I buy everything when I am in the US in the summer or on-line. I can have things shipped here for less than I can buy locally. We do fairly well in Dubai and don't buy here so I can only assume that a great many who live worrying about expenses day to day don't buy here either. Malls are entertainment to many and nothing more....a cool place to pass the time but no money changes hands. I just can't equate malls being full as the economy being good and people spending money. It isn't that simple. People are in malls for many reasons....spending not necessarily being one of them. edited by Catawba KSE on 01/10/2014 <em>edited by Catawba KSE on 01/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 01 October 2014 - 20:58
One only needs to look at this board to see that people do go to brunches, resorts, shopping malls, salons, etc... Of course they do. But let's not forget that lots of people here live off credit cards. Levels of personal debt here are very high, but that's skewed by the fact that so many people have to take bank loans to pay 1-cheque rent. We know people who regularly go to brunches etc, but without exception they're all either single or couples without kids. Malls tend to be busy most days so there are people spending who can afford to spend Malls are busy in part because they give people somewhere to go, but when you actually look at where people are spending, it's the normal everyday shops, not the big-ticket ones. Are all the jewellery shops, boutique clothes shops etc always full of people buying? Of course not. edited by Madge_Gustard on 01/10/2014 No, but that is the same in any city where you have expensive shops. You usually don't see lots of people in the LV store in Zurich or Boston, for example.... [u'>[b'>Malls are doing business. People are spending. If they weren't doing good business, you'd find lots of empty spaces like you see at the Festival City. That is the only mall I know of that has a lot of free retail space....[/b'>[/u'> I don't agree. I hate malls and never go unless I need something but as hot as it is now, we go and get a meal with the family just for something to do. We eat and leave without buying anything. When it is hot, it is a place for people to go but that doesn't mean they are spending. If you have eaten, then you have patronized a business. Others will not eat but just shop and some will do both....
Latest post on 01 October 2014 - 20:55
One only needs to look at this board to see that people do go to brunches, resorts, shopping malls, salons, etc... Of course they do. But let's not forget that lots of people here live off credit cards. Levels of personal debt here are very high, but that's skewed by the fact that so many people have to take bank loans to pay 1-cheque rent. We know people who regularly go to brunches etc, but without exception they're all either single or couples without kids. Malls tend to be busy most days so there are people spending who can afford to spend Malls are busy in part because they give people somewhere to go, but when you actually look at where people are spending, it's the normal everyday shops, not the big-ticket ones. Are all the jewellery shops, boutique clothes shops etc always full of people buying? Of course not. edited by Madge_Gustard on 01/10/2014 No, but that is the same in any city where you have expensive shops. You usually don't see lots of people in the LV store in Zurich or Boston, for example.... [u'>[b'>Malls are doing business. People are spending. If they weren't doing good business, you'd find lots of empty spaces like you see at the Festival City. That is the only mall I know of that has a lot of free retail space....[/b'>[/u'> I don't agree. I hate malls and never go unless I need something but as hot as it is now, we go and get a meal with the family just for something to do. We eat and leave without buying anything. When it is hot, it is a place for people to go but that doesn't mean they are spending.
Latest post on 01 October 2014 - 20:36
One only needs to look at this board to see that people do go to brunches, resorts, shopping malls, salons, etc... Of course they do. But let's not forget that lots of people here live off credit cards. Levels of personal debt here are very high, but that's skewed by the fact that so many people have to take bank loans to pay 1-cheque rent. We know people who regularly go to brunches etc, but without exception they're all either single or couples without kids. Malls tend to be busy most days so there are people spending who can afford to spend Malls are busy in part because they give people somewhere to go, but when you actually look at where people are spending, it's the normal everyday shops, not the big-ticket ones. Are all the jewellery shops, boutique clothes shops etc always full of people buying? Of course not. edited by Madge_Gustard on 01/10/2014 No, but that is the same in any city where you have expensive shops. You usually don't see lots of people in the LV store in Zurich or Boston, for example.... Malls are doing business. People are spending. If they weren't doing good business, you'd find lots of empty spaces like you see at the Festival City. That is the only mall I know of that has a lot of free retail space....
Latest post on 01 October 2014 - 19:59
One only needs to look at this board to see that people do go to brunches, resorts, shopping malls, salons, etc... Of course they do. But let's not forget that lots of people here live off credit cards. Levels of personal debt here are very high, but that's skewed by the fact that so many people have to take bank loans to pay 1-cheque rent. We know people who regularly go to brunches etc, but without exception they're all either single or couples without kids. Malls tend to be busy most days so there are people spending who can afford to spend Malls are busy in part because they give people somewhere to go, but when you actually look at where people are spending, it's the normal everyday shops, not the big-ticket ones. Are all the jewellery shops, boutique clothes shops etc always full of people buying? Of course not. <em>edited by Madge_Gustard on 01/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 01 October 2014 - 16:47
Indeed mrsb. I totally agree! Don't get me started on the mortgages and council rates, but I am watching the Aussie dollar like a hawk and its finally coming down yippee xx
Latest post on 01 October 2014 - 08:43
Every conversation DH and I have begins with where and when can we move. Haven't found an answer yet, though. we are thinking of south east asia / united states Do not fancy moving to Singapore ! If you think Dubai is expensive, Singapore is 2 times more expensive (school fees, rental, cars (unaffordable), groceries,...) If you are in banking or oil & gaz business in Singapore, you still can get huge expat packages... For the rest a lot of expats are struggling but won't tell, they are too proud ! Thailand is quite politically unstable with Martial Law and Malaysia is also becoming more and more expensive, it's a question of time. Great well-established schools in Bangkok but I'd worry about raising my kids around all those icky old men who go to Thailand to meet women. Yuck. Plus, too hot. All the time. Are there any places in the world with snow, easy to get help and good schools? Is that too much to ask?
Latest post on 01 October 2014 - 08:43
For many, the conclusion is that you are still better off here. One only needs to look at this board to see that people do go to brunches, resorts, shopping malls, salons, etc... Malls tend to be busy most days so there are people spending who can afford to spend. I don't think banks are giving sky high credit limits to anyone and everyone like before...
Latest post on 01 October 2014 - 08:38
Every conversation DH and I have begins with where and when can we move. Haven't found an answer yet, though. we are thinking of south east asia / united states Do not fancy moving to Singapore ! If you think Dubai is expensive, Singapore is 2 times more expensive (school fees, rental, cars (unaffordable), groceries,...) If you are in banking or oil & gaz business in Singapore, you still can get huge expat packages... For the rest a lot of expats are struggling but won't tell, they are too proud ! Thailand is quite politically unstable with Martial Law and Malaysia is also becoming more and more expensive, it's a question of time.
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 21:13
Madge you said what i wanted to say. we have never gone to a hotel restaurant/to stay in. we never eat out in a fancy place. and in the 3 years we have been married, this summer was our first vacation after our honeymoon (3 years ago) we are trying our best to save up before DD turns 5 years so that we can buy a house in Canada and move there. she doesn't go to school yet but we both work so she goes to nursery and it is so expensive that it is making a huge impact on our savings. and i needed to find the best (IMO) nursery for my DD because i wasn't going to put her in a nursery just because it is cheap. rent in abu dhabi is INSANE. you think Dubai is expensive wait till you see abu dhabi and we don't even get our accomadation paid for or education paid for. we don't want to move out of our 2 bedroom apartment because we can't afford it. i keep thinking of my dream house in Canada and that is the only thing making me patient. at the end of the day i want the best for my child(ren) education wise and life wise while being able to save a few bucks. we will leave but not until we are able to save a good amount of money. ETA: we NEVER eat in a fancy place being it brunch or high tea or... edited by Singarosa on 30/09/2014 edited by Singarosa on 30/09/2014 yeh tell me about the rent in auh, just been hit with a 25% increase, and nothing you can do about it. at least in dxb there are the rules still in place.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 20:28
Nop not my family, we just came back from the motherland (Australia) and oh my word it's expensive! I don't know how people are saving based on living costs, tax, fuel prices and mortgages. Yes Dubai is expensive but our opportunities here have been great in comparison to what we were doing back home. However,with constant inflation this is a global thing, I have family in Hong Kong and the rent is sooooooo much more expensive then here. It depends what type of life style you want and what employment packages you get, before you throw in the towel, ask yourself, is the grass really greener on the other side? And are you doing everything under your power in Dubai to save money? Or are you just fed up with the fast passed life style that is Dubai? ....... I am one of those expats that left and then came back 18 months later, I was a boomerang, yes, eventually I will move back, but not right now xx We were also in Australia this summer and were shocked at the prices of everything. We have property there as investments but will more than likely never go back there to live - I doubt we could ever afford it. Two of our DSs are living and working there (1 in Brisbane and 1 in Sydney), have huge mortgages, pay huge taxes, and only just manage to survive and they have excellent well-paid jobs, both of them. Life is expensive here and costs are rising daily, but what are to the alternatives? We have discussed moving but have come to the conclusion, we are still better off here at this stage. Who knows what is around the corner. Definitely, the "bubble" has burst!
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 17:35
Madge you said what i wanted to say. we have never gone to a hotel restaurant/to stay in. we never eat out in a fancy place. and in the 3 years we have been married, this summer was our first vacation after our honeymoon (3 years ago) we are trying our best to save up before DD turns 5 years so that we can buy a house in Canada and move there. she doesn't go to school yet but we both work so she goes to nursery and it is so expensive that it is making a huge impact on our savings. and i needed to find the best (IMO) nursery for my DD because i wasn't going to put her in a nursery just because it is cheap. rent in abu dhabi is INSANE. you think Dubai is expensive wait till you see abu dhabi and we don't even get our accomadation paid for or education paid for. we don't want to move out of our 2 bedroom apartment because we can't afford it. i keep thinking of my dream house in Canada and that is the only thing making me patient. at the end of the day i want the best for my child(ren) education wise and life wise while being able to save a few bucks. we will leave but not until we are able to save a good amount of money. ETA: we NEVER eat in a fancy place being it brunch or high tea or... edited by Singarosa on 30/09/2014 <em>edited by Singarosa on 30/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 17:32
Sorry but am I missing something ?? "new, must see hotels, malls"
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 17:14
We did save money but now it's more difficult. Too many temptations between new must see hotels, malls We haven't been to a hotel here for years, and malls aren't much of a temptation. I know a lot of people living the life and who might be leaving the UAE with very little savings... We know a lot of people who *aren't* "living the life", but will leave Dubai with very little savings. The chance of "living the life" would be a fine thing! Simply paying rent, school fees and general everyday expenses means that most of the salary is gone every month. Quite seriously, nearly of the people we know well enough to ask about savings will candidly admit that they're saving nothing, and they aren't living any kind of luxury lifestyle. The common thread is that they all have families and they have to pay for everything out of their own pocket.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY