Need advice - taxi driver asking for money | ExpatWoman.com

Need advice - taxi driver asking for money

Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 10:50

All,

I feel like an absolute idiot but last week I sent a text to a taxi driver who had enquired about a drivers job with my family. I told him that we weren't looking for a driver which he replied politely to and that was that. Last night I got a text from him asking me to lend him 5000dhs. This has spooked me and I wonder if any of you have experienced something similar and should I be concerned enough to go to the police (or am I totally over reacting). My fear is that this guy knows where I live and my husband travels lot.

Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 20:56
I would definitely make it clear to him that you are not prepared to lend any money. However, I would not contact the police. So many of these men here are desperately trying to support huge extended families living in war torn areas and have often gone into debt to get here in the first place. Their situations are very sad and often, without hope. Be kind. Well said.
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 19:18
I once had a petrol pump attendant ask me if I was married - when I said yes he asked if my husband could get him a job !! Desperation coupled with little or no filter, that's all....
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 19:04
I didn't mean to say contact the police... Just meant her husband, boss etc wherever she got the contact info. It's like has been said, their lives and circumstances are different and I don't think it would be easy for anyone to be in that position, either one actually.
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 17:38
I find it very strange that there are posters here who says you must contact the police over one text message! Seriously? This guy is just trying his luck by asking for a loan. It is wrong and you can choose to just ignore the text and go on with your life like a normal adult. If he texts again then tell him clearly not to text you about money or anything else for that matter. edited by Asti on 30/09/2014 Yep get it and believe me I do live life like a normal adult - however before living here I have lived in countries where this kind of approach was and is quite dangerous and have experience to prove it. Was simply checking the temperature of the water here for such incidences and I am now clear
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 16:26
If he doesn't stop texting, get your hubby to call him, that will scare him off
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 16:18
I find it very strange that there are [b'>posters here who says you must contact the police over one text message! Seriously?[/b'> This guy is just trying his luck by asking for a loan. It is wrong and you can choose to just ignore the text and go on with your life like a normal adult. If he texts again then tell him clearly not to text you about money or anything else for that matter. edited by Asti on 30/09/2014 I agree! It might make you uncomfortable, as I admitted it does me, but come on. Police? I think women are approached more than our male counterparts because we are viewed as soft-hearted...I have never felt in danger by any means. These people don't want trouble. They already have it.
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 16:09
I find it very strange that there are posters here who says you must contact the police over one text message! Seriously? This guy is just trying his luck by asking for a loan. It is wrong and you can choose to just ignore the text and go on with your life like a normal adult. If he texts again then tell him clearly not to text you about money or anything else for that matter. <em>edited by Asti on 30/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 15:53
Thanks All - that is good advice - I certainly understand that he may have very difficult circumstances and do not to add to them by calling the police - i'll send a strong but polite text for now I didnt get how he got to text u in the first place how did he get your number. If this was a unsolicited request then I would immediately call the police.
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 15:42
Thanks All - that is good advice - I certainly understand that he may have very difficult circumstances and do not to add to them by calling the police - i'll send a strong but polite text for now
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 13:41
I would definitely make it clear to him that you are not prepared to lend any money. However, I would not contact the police. So many of these men here are desperately trying to support huge extended families living in war torn areas and have often gone into debt to get here in the first place. Their situations are very sad and often, without hope. Be kind.
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 12:40
All, I feel like an absolute idiot but last week I sent a text to a taxi driver who had enquired about a drivers job with my family. I told him that we weren't looking for a driver which he replied politely to and that was that. Last night I got a text from him asking me to lend him 5000dhs. This has spooked me and I wonder if any of you have experienced something similar and should I be concerned enough to go to the police (or am I totally over reacting). My fear is that this guy knows where I live and my husband travels lot. I would just say no, remember some of these people coming different cultures think its ok to ask or are that desperate. Sure, he would not start stalking you, I would not call the police yet unless he does.
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 12:18
Can/should you really report that kind of thing to the police? I have been asked a number of times by people I barely know in unfortunate positions throughout my stint in Dubai. I don't like it, either, and it bothers me. Bothers me because they don't know me, and bothers me because I am human, I do have a heart. Never happens to my DH, although he has been asked about a job more than a few times.
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 12:15
Get your husband to call the driver back and tell him in no uncertain terms not to contact you again or the police will be involved immediately. <em>edited by marycatherine on 30/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 12:12
Would freak me out as well and if you don't report it at least tell your spouse! Are you sure it's him, I'm asking cause maybe somebody got hold of his phone and is playing pranks? And no I've not had this situation happen, I would definitely hope it's not commonplace! <em>edited by Cherpie on 30/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 11:26
BTW - this was my first post so it is great to see there are people on this who are willing to help and contribute - thanks
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 11:25
Thanks all - I really appreciate the feedback. @ Suzy - he doesn't know my husband travels a lot - but I do :( and that freaks me a little...........
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 11:00
If you have never met this person in person or had any kind in contact with you, He should not be asking you for money... why is he asking a total stranger for money? Reply back to him asking in a polite and a firm manner not to contact you again. Tell him its inappropriate.Make it clear you do not want further contact. If he does reply back asking for money again, tell him you will be reporting to him the police for harassment. <em>edited by nomand1 on 30/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 10:57
Tell him no and not to contact you again. And how does he know your husband travels a lot?
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 10:57
Not sure why it has spooked me - never been in this situation before where someone who does not know me has asked for money - and knows where I live ......... I could be over reacting......
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 10:54
Why has it spooked you?
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 10:54
call the police

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY