Can Arab women speak freely? | ExpatWoman.com

Can Arab women speak freely?

Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 15:13

Please can anyone advise of any forums that allow Arab women to speak freely and anonymously about their cultural contradictions and differences and does this forum allow that?

Latest post on 01 October 2014 - 10:53
Reckon it might be an advert anyways ... It did sound like information gathering.
Latest post on 01 October 2014 - 10:43
Reckon it might be an advert anyways ... Why Guinness? The wordy way its written.
Latest post on 01 October 2014 - 10:39
Reckon it might be an advert anyways ... Why Guinness?
Latest post on 01 October 2014 - 10:33
Reckon it might be an advert anyways ...
Latest post on 01 October 2014 - 09:50
Guess even with her username, no one let her speak :) ha ha ha
Latest post on 01 October 2014 - 09:46
I think poor, Letmespeak, has bolted!!! Can you blame her? lol
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 01 October 2014 - 09:42
I think poor, Letmespeak, has bolted!!! Can you blame her?
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 20:47
OMG...really???? poor, letmespeak, she hasn't even had a chance!
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 20:41
Just to be sure, I read that post over and it does not sound in the least aggressive. There are quite a few Arab posters on this forum and have been for quite a while. They post on whatever they like to and I have never seen them create a fuss about being the Arab poster on EW. They blend in, just like the other minorities that post on here. They don't always only discuss Western topics or get burned so to speak. Despite being from far-flung corners of the world, everyone talks with each other everyday about the most random things because we have Dubai in common. What I really like about EW though is that they call it like they see it. I see so much fakery around that when I see straight talk I will gladly take it. Please don't twist EW around to suit what you can bear, the world doesn't work like that, why should this forum? <em>edited by Redrec Tangle on 30/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 20:36
Please can anyone advise of any forums that allow Arab women to speak freely and anonymously about their cultural contradictions and differences and does this forum allow that? To answer the OP, I don't know of any other forums for Arab women. There must be some but they would all be in Arabic so none of us can help you on that. Yes, this forum allows Arab women to speak freely as long as it's in English.
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 20:35
Like I said, mrsb, anything can be discussed here. But it depends on what the OP expects to achieve. Does she want to discuss things with fellow Arab ladies, or as you said, does she want a western point of view? Perhaps she would just like the opportunity to express herself, rather than a mindset? And perhaps she might enjoy hearing more than one opinion? I thought that was the point of Expat woman, we come from many different backgrounds and can give so much to each other. This is a meeting place, not a battleground. Can we then also just respectfully disagree with one another without unnecessary nitpicking? Everyone has a different opinion and we can all express that to each other. At the end of the day, there is no person here who is an all knowing person and everyone is entitled to share what they think without getting picked on. Absolutely, but let's try to not drag in the race/religion card when some disagrees with us. Now that really would make a big difference on here!
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 20:25
I think also that we need to be more sensitive (including myself) when we post. With the lack if facial expression and gestures, the message can come across very differently than what we intend. And, as we are a UN mix of backgrounds, something we say or mean can be taken very differently by someone else.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 20:23
Like I said, mrsb, anything can be discussed here. But it depends on what the OP expects to achieve. Does she want to discuss things with fellow Arab ladies, or as you said, does she want a western point of view? Perhaps she would just like the opportunity to express herself, rather than a mindset? And perhaps she might enjoy hearing more than one opinion? I thought that was the point of Expat woman, we come from many different backgrounds and can give so much to each other. This is a meeting place, not a battleground. Can we then also just respectfully disagree with one another without unnecessary nitpicking? Everyone has a different opinion and we can all express that to each other. At the end of the day, there is no person here who is an all knowing person and everyone is entitled to share what they think without getting picked on.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 20:21
I appreciate your words, marroosh. A mediator! I think you are getting way too much unnecessary, how shall I say it... "feedback". It's getting old and tired and I really think it needs to stop. I don't know where you're from, what your mother tongue is, how many languages you speak. I can agree or disagree with you, and will do respectfully. And I will say something when posters are being singled out. Anyway, I get singled out myself.
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 20:20
Like I said, mrsb, anything can be discussed here. But it depends on what the OP expects to achieve. Does she want to discuss things with fellow Arab ladies, or as you said, does she want a western point of view? Perhaps she would just like the opportunity to express herself, rather than a mindset? And perhaps she might enjoy hearing more than one opinion? I thought that was the point of Expat woman, we come from many different backgrounds and can give so much to each other. This is a meeting place, not a battleground.
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 20:18
I appreciate your words, marroosh. A mediator!
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 20:11
Letmespeak, have we frightened you away yet? I hope not. It would be great if you joined in our discussions. It would bring yet another facet to an already multifaceted forum.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 20:10
Like I said, mrsb, anything can be discussed here. But it depends on what the OP expects to achieve. Does she want to discuss things with fellow Arab ladies, or as you said, does she want a western point of view?
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 20:06
Londiamond it seems you shall be reminded of whatever claim you have made until the end of days I'm afraid. OP, I would not recommend and Arab woman to share her views/grievances on this forum. Of course anyone can speak her mind on this forum, but depending on her views and opinions she either gets thumbed up or a virtual flaming. There are those of us who have, as it has been described, a foot in both camps, and we are constantly "thumbed" and thrown down in flames but we still get up. However, this forum can be, at times, an excellent place on which to discuss things annonymously that perhaps cannot be discussed openly in person. Perhaps the OP would like a western view point on some topics?
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 19:54
LT your post is very aggressive. You don't have to tell anyone what charity you are doing as it doesn't make your argument any more valid than anyone else's. Plus, what do you know about Londiamond? Do you know what she does with her time, what charity she does? I really don't get why you feel the need to bring that up If you don't get what she means with her post, by all means disagree, but really, no need to get so worked up. She is entitled to her opinion as you are. She is not the most knowledgeable poster on this forum and neither are you or I. This is not a competition Lon, I know what you are talking about. People who continue to bring up your English skills in lack of a better argument are better ignored.
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 19:27
Oh, I see. Pack affiliates. No worries. OP, I stand by what I said. I would not share or air any problem on this board as there are a length of entitled people whose words are gospel and cannot be challenged. As can be seen, it was believed I was/am a non-native English speaker posing as a native English speaker - blasphemy! There are a lot of ladies here who are kind, intelligent, informed, and would listen. I would not risk having to stand and be dressed down by the others on the chance they wish to do it. It is not a constructive argument they are condescending, sarcastic, and ignorant. Well, that's been a huge help to the OP....
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 19:26
Londiamond it seems you shall be reminded of whatever claim you have made until the end of days I'm afraid. OP, I would not recommend and Arab woman to share her views/grievances on this forum. Of course anyone can speak her mind on this forum, but depending on her views and opinions she either gets thumbed up or a virtual flaming.
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 19:22
Looks like she's been scared off!
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 19:15
Oh, I see. Pack affiliates. No worries. OP, I stand by what I said. I would not share or air any problem on this board as there are a length of entitled people whose words are gospel and cannot be challenged. As can be seen, it was believed I was/am a non-native English speaker posing as a native English speaker - blasphemy! There are a lot of ladies here who are kind, intelligent, informed, and would listen. I would not risk having to stand and be dressed down by the others on the chance they wish to do it. It is not a constructive argument they are condescending, sarcastic, and ignorant.
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 18:52
But isn't one a native English speaker? It doesn't always read that way though, does it.
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 18:48
Although it would be anonymous, I would personally avoid posting culture related topics on this forum. The ladies here are mostly Westerners and might not relate to what you are saying, or criticize the culture further, which might trigger unsolid debates.
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 18:47
But isn't one a native English speaker?
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 18:45
I think I have been on this forum too long, or how remarkable a coincidence that the OP's grievances matches a little too closely to another posters'.
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 18:44
Racism does appear in particular topics where cultural behaviors or national practices are highlighted, as an example queuing, DEWA bills. I think if n Arab woman came and vented her frustrations, rather than having ears, she would be met with the opinions of every person of how they personally feel about that behavior rather than the rapport needed to help her organize her thoughts. DEWA bills and racism? Now you have totally lost me. And queuing.........you do know the difference between cultural norms and racism" Sorry but you are just struggling now, and not helping the OP at all. Perhaps some of the ladies on here who have, as it were, a foot in both camps might be best advised to answer her question. I do not have the only opinion, that is my opinion, and the OP can take it or lead it, as can anyone else who reads it. The DEWA bill reference is made to posts complaining about nationals getting subsidized rates, the queuing reference was regarding another thread where it was repeatedly highlighted that certain nationalities do it all of the time. A lot of posters stood centre on this topic and made it clear that it happens on both sides, though. However, I still believe that to take it all in the OP needs to be informed that it could happen and decide to post knowing what could be an outcome. A lot of people are still unaware of how vicious these discussion boards can be, and when culture is the cent re point, it is also personal and can be hurtful and read in a very personal way. Anyway, OPs choice. She may be searching for this type of discussion. Responses here are not always given lightly and do no always come across as intended if language is a barrier. <em>edited by Londiamond on 30/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 30 September 2014 - 18:30
Racism does appear in particular topics where cultural behaviors or national practices are highlighted, as an example queuing, DEWA bills. I think if n Arab woman came and vented her frustrations, rather than having ears, she would be met with the opinions of every person of how they personally feel about that behavior rather than the rapport needed to help her organize her thoughts. DEWA bills and racism? Now you have totally lost me. And queuing.........you do know the difference between cultural norms and racism" Sorry but you are just struggling now, and not helping the OP at all. Perhaps some of the ladies on here who have, as it were, a foot in both camps might be best advised to answer her question.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY