Pre-Pay for Christmas Day brunch | ExpatWoman.com

Pre-Pay for Christmas Day brunch

Latest post on 01 October 2014 - 16:06

Hi.
I've got Xmas day brunch booked for 6 of us and they have now told me they will need pre-payment on 1st November.
I'm not in the least bit happy as this hasn't been stated in an of the communication so far.
This is my first Christmas here so I don't know...Is this standard practice?
I'm not sure if I am just being tight, but handing over so much, 7 weeks before actually dining seems wrong to me. They have my credit card as guarantee already.
Thanks

Latest post on 04 October 2014 - 07:36
Often these ridiculous requirements can be relaxed by talking to the restaurant manager in person. It is absolutely not fair that you should take all the risk. Genuine booking or not, it is still nearly 3 months in advance and anything could happen! Perhaps you could suggest paying a deposit now to secure the table and then make the balance payment 3 days before the event. This would give them time to fill your table in the event you could not make it. 100% payment 3 months in advance - no way. This is why we have insurances for holidays...perhaps there should be something similar.
Latest post on 03 October 2014 - 20:47
Hi. I've got Xmas day brunch booked for 6 of us and they have now told me they will need pre-payment on 1st November. I'm not in the least bit happy as this hasn't been stated in an of the communication so far. This is my first Christmas here so I don't know...Is this standard practice? I'm not sure if I am just being tight, but handing over so much, 7 weeks before actually dining seems wrong to me. They have my credit card as guarantee already. Thanks Standard practice. Too many people book and do not show up so hotels are forced to do this. It prevents people from booking up all the reservations and not arriving leaving the hotels with financial loss. I have always pre-paid. Does it really matter as you are going to pay that amount anyways if your booking is genuine?
Latest post on 03 October 2014 - 20:10
Thanks for your help. It's not Jumeirah, it's Ritz Carlton. I just think they should have told us about this at the time of booking before our alternative venues became sold out!
Latest post on 01 October 2014 - 17:21
I'm assuming it's one of the Jumeirah group hotels? I have been asked for the same. Last year we payed on the day, the year before we paid in advance. I think they do it so they can open up places to people on the waiting list.
Latest post on 01 October 2014 - 16:22
hi sjpbingley, are they asking for the full amount? If so then no that's not standard practice as far as I have ever experienced. Credit card details as guarantee is normal especially for brunches on Xmas day or large groups but not full payment. Some ask for a deposit which we have paid before - sorry I can't remember the percentage though

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY