Maid / Eid question *YAWN* | ExpatWoman.com

Maid / Eid question *YAWN*

Latest post on 02 October 2014 - 16:49

Are you giving your maid time off over Eid and, if so, how much?

Latest post on 05 October 2014 - 14:14
Wow, I see someone has dusted down their broomstick early this year, lol.
Latest post on 04 October 2014 - 15:18
Every year these questions come up because there is so much confusion about maid off days. It is not helped that different contracts exist. For example our maid contract mentions nothing about public holidays, or even days off. Nothing at all. But we have been here for 15 years so we know the deal in a way. Maids do not fall under labor law so it is always a bit more grey area. That is not to say everyone would love a day off but Dubai is open and lots of people work so no need to feel bad if a maid needs to work if you have a busy house. We are busy this Eid with many guests (we are a mixed couple of two religions) so my maid will get at best half a day off. Last year she got two. But this Xmas she will get 9 days off as we will travel. Every Xmas we give Xmas Eve, Xmas Day and Boxing Day too. So we go by what suits us as a family. She is Christian so prefers Christian holidays. There is no obligation to give off every religious holiday. Just be fair and give days off in lieu when you can.
Latest post on 04 October 2014 - 14:44
@silvstet - your comment reminds me why I don't post as much as I would like to. Most of my friends refuse to post on here too. @daza thanks for your helpful post, wish more posters were like you and (Mrs B) :)
Latest post on 04 October 2014 - 11:34
thank you for your replies. My maid gets both the Muslim and Christian holidays off and the Eid after Ramadan this year she got 4 days. I don't, AT ALL, begrudge giving my maid time off, I just wanted to know what the 'norm' was as my maid wanted both days off (Sun and Mon - on top of the Fri and Sat she already gets). edited by gentledaisy on 03/10/2014 We give our maid whatever the private sector gets. This year it is three days, Fri/Sat/Sun. http://www.emirates247.com/news/emirates/uae-eid-break-till-monday-for-government-sunday-for-private-2014-09-24-1.563790
Latest post on 03 October 2014 - 20:05
thank you for your replies. My maid gets both the Muslim and Christian holidays off and the Eid after Ramadan this year she got 4 days. I don't, AT ALL, begrudge giving my maid time off, I just wanted to know what the 'norm' was as my maid wanted both days off (Sun and Mon - on top of the Fri and Sat she already gets). <em>edited by gentledaisy on 03/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 03 October 2014 - 18:42
Yes, one day.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 03 October 2014 - 15:23
She already has every w/end off (Thurs night to Sat night). I will give her Sun off too. Jez, my maid gets more time off than I do! edited by gentledaisy on 02/10/2014 I bet she works shorter days and makes more money than you too? <em>edited by Marroosh on 03/10/2014</em>
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 03 October 2014 - 15:18
I think if you are not Muslim and don't need her to help in the kitchen etc, you could give her an extra day - kind - especially if she is Muslim. I would think that, as is my case, if you are a Muslim home, your maid will be working hard over the Eid Holiday time - maids are usually rewarded with Eid gifts (money), so in most cases I think most maids are happier to work rather than sit with their friends.
Latest post on 02 October 2014 - 17:35
She already has every w/end off (Thurs night to Sat night). I will give her Sun off too. Jez, my maid gets more time off than I do! <em>edited by gentledaisy on 02/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 02 October 2014 - 17:02
1 day.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 02 October 2014 - 16:56
I don't have a maid but if a family doesn't need her to work, why not give her at least a day? A lot of maids have only 1 day a week. Families who celebrate Eid will most likely to need her to work with family coming over but for her to have extra time off would be nice.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY