Window and door replacements for villas | ExpatWoman.com

Window and door replacements for villas

Latest post on 08 October 2014 - 11:00

Hi ,
We have moved into our new villa in Dubailand and all the doors and windows are very substandard.We have had sand coming in through the bottom of the doors and gaps under the doors and windows that is letting alot of heat in and out which is resulting in high dewa bills.

We have researched and have found a european company who provide top of the range european glass.We are currently looking at getting them to replace all our doors and windows in our villa and we are wondering if anyone else would be interested in getting theirs done as we have been told if more that one villa is being done then the price will be reduced greatly for all.

Let us know if this is something you have considered and i will forward you the information that we have received .
Kindest regards
Neve

Latest post on 27 November 2014 - 11:30
To Bebecito I am trying to enable PM s on the forum.... When I do I will contact you with information. Alternatively you can send us you're email and we can get in touch then ( although I don't think you want to post that on a public forum!!!!!!????)
Latest post on 17 November 2014 - 17:16
Hi villa 123. We would be interested in having also a quote. We have a 5 bedroom villa in the lakes. How shall we proceed to get the quote? Good idea about your posting, thanks a lot.
Latest post on 09 October 2014 - 17:15
Maybe you'd have more luck on a facebook group for your community... Or even put letters in other people's letter box nearby.
Latest post on 09 October 2014 - 16:43
Maybe you'd have more luck on a facebook group for your community...
Latest post on 09 October 2014 - 12:26
Thank you for your reply, once again we were just wondering if anyone else is interested in doing this.
Latest post on 09 October 2014 - 09:17
Unfortunately the general standards of finish by some companies here are substandard and with windows/doors these problems do not become apparent until you live in the villa for some months of the summer and a few sandstorms!! A/C bills are linked to DEWA as the A/C uses electricity and as its a villa there no central cooling system where we are. Again,if anyone has the same issues and is interested in getting a quote,let me know ! Thanks yes, I know we pay DEWA for our aircon... I think sand is kind of an occupational hazard really, what with living in the desert and all !! lol
Latest post on 09 October 2014 - 08:52
Just to add - expect you know you will need the permission of your developer/managing agent to change your doors and windows.
Latest post on 09 October 2014 - 07:11
Unfortunately the general standards of finish by some companies here are substandard and with windows/doors these problems do not become apparent until you live in the villa for some months of the summer and a few sandstorms!! A/C bills are linked to DEWA as the A/C uses electricity and as its a villa there no central cooling system where we are. Again,if anyone has the same issues and is interested in getting a quote,let me know ! Thanks
Latest post on 08 October 2014 - 22:44
Just a minor point, but why would you buy a new villa with substandard windows and then pay a small fortune to have them replaced ? Is this a mark of the general standard of new properties here ?
Latest post on 08 October 2014 - 22:39
Bingo, we also live in our own villa in AR. There is no central cooling system here. We all pay for AC via DEWA.
Latest post on 08 October 2014 - 22:30
If the windows have heat resistant glass - that probably is what you want then. If you are refering to the cost of air conditioning only - that does not get paid to DEWA ( anyone correct me if I'm wrong). The cost of the A/C goes onto your maintenance bill to your managing agent at the beginning of the year as the fee for "cooling" - even though of course it uses electricity - somehow it is a separate cost.
Latest post on 08 October 2014 - 20:55
Thanks for your message, but it's our own villa and with these new u PVC and heat resistant glass that is used in the windows and doors we can reduce our current dewa bill by 30/40% .
Latest post on 08 October 2014 - 14:57
Hi Neve - I think it is quite common to have sand coming in your doors and windows and double glazing letting in the heat here! I am up 20 floors and I get sand coming in an Emaar building - which are supposed to be OKish. Before you replace all your windows you could try to seal them better instead. There are people who do this with rubber strips etc but I lost my contact. Ask around at maintenance companies, they may help. There is a man who only does this job!. I know my quote was quite expensive. You may actually try using those insulation stick-on rubber strips round door and window frames yourselves - especially those not constantly being openned or a silicon mastic injection gun at the parts that are supposed to be sealed. Regarding the double glazing letting in heat - perhaps triple glazing might help - but I'm not sure. I put up slatted wooden blinds to reduce heat but regret it as the sand sits on every slat and is difficult to clean. But you could ask a curtain company to install pull down blinds made of heat insulating material. edited by bingo12 on 08/10/2014 <em>edited by bingo12 on 08/10/2014</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY