How did YOU clear up your acne NATURALLY??? | ExpatWoman.com

How did YOU clear up your acne NATURALLY???

Latest post on 08 October 2014 - 23:00

Hi ladies,

I'm 6 months pregnant with a boy and I have terrible acne. My Doc says it's caused by the extra testosterone...

I've seen a GP and 2 dermatologists. I've tried what they recommended and nothing seems to work.

It's not as bad as it was in the very beginning... Some days I was too embarrassed to leave the house... but it's still pretty bad. It is an absolute necessity to wear make-up, which probably makes it worse. (I use MAC mineral make-up as I heard it doesn't clog your pores as much).

What's your personal experience? What NATURAL products do you use? Are they available in Dubai? Shall I try a cleanser from the organic shop? Do you cleanse twice a day? Do you moisturize after cleansing? Do you have regular facials? Do you use masks? Please, share your beauty secrets :) x

Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 09:40
Hi CrepeSuzette, I found some tips online. One is with lemon juice and 6 to 12 crushed non coated aspirin it dries up the acne. Good Luck I was reading this thread as i am suffering with the return of my acne i've tried so many different creams and nothing seems to help. I tried this aspirin and lemon juice mask last night and it has made such a difference!! I left it soak in for 10 mins and then scrubbed my face before washing it off. I woke up this morning and my skin felt smoother and tighter so I reapplied again this morning. Everyone should try this! Thanks CrepeSuzette!!
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 16:34
My teenage son and his friends have all used a product l brought from the UK. (Not available here). It's completely pure and is fantastic with 'break-out' skin. It's called Salurra, or Bioskin (both ranges). It was recommended by Horrible Bodies on Channel 4, in the UK and l think it's great. My son's has cleared up now, although he has moved to England anyway. I have some you can have to try if you would like, as l stocked up! Send me a mail, if you are interested.
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 16:00
Try using a clay mask - I suggest bentonite clay mixed with rosewater and apple cider vinegar :)
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 13:25
I am a firm believer in Argan oil. I get mine from Souq.com and use it for face and hair. But I only use the pure oil, not the mixed cleansing products.
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 11:34
Hi ladies, I just want to update, I've been using Argan oil and OMG it works so well! The first night I had 2 budding zits that subsided overnight, and overall my skin looks much more supple and smooth (I have lots of acne scars). I use it at night and love how my skin looks in the morning I've only used for a week but I highly recommend it. I ordered mine online from Amazon, but I'm sure it's available in Dubai.
Latest post on 13 October 2014 - 16:25
Try this http://www.juicemaster.com/clear-skin-programme Also look at the face book page, a post on Oct 10th about acne. https://www.facebook.com/juicemasterltd?ref=ts&fref=ts <em>edited by rasalala on 13/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 13 October 2014 - 13:15
looks like 7 days is not the only paper that reads us.... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2790319/forever-beautiful-banish-painful-pimples.html
Latest post on 13 October 2014 - 10:52
Hi CrepeSuzette, I found some tips online. One is with lemon juice and 6 to 12 crushed non coated aspirin it dries up the acne. Good Luck
Latest post on 13 October 2014 - 05:56
How about a clarisonic? I had raging hormonal acne with my son too, it was more like big cysts under my skin that would never come above the surface, so gross. I tried everything but that brush was amazing, although it still took a week or two working in combination with cleansers, but it really got deep down and didn't feel harsh, my skin really improved. My niece uses one and she's in her teens.
Latest post on 12 October 2014 - 18:11
Di@DXB - Wow, I've never heard of using coconut oil to treat acne before. I did a bit of Googling, and like you said, it does have lots of positive reviews. Question: how do you incorporate the coconut oil into your skincare routine? Do you cleanse with something else first and then apply coconut oil afterwards to moisturize? Or does the coconut oil double as a cleanser and moisturizer? Many thanks x It doubles perfectly as a cleanser and moisturiser, you can use it solely as one or the other of course as you prefer. I use it neat as both and make other formulations with it too adding other natural ingredients depending on what I want such as shea butter or cocoa butter too. For acne I would just stay with the pure virgin coconut oil. On a side note its possibly relevant that back in the days before mass produced synthetic cosmetics the original cold creams used were used as all round cleanser and moisturisers, they were vegetable based oils such as coconut oil rather than from petrochemicals of the commercial cold creams of today, and these natural creams were the only form of cleansers and moisturiser around that our grandmothers and great grandmothers would have known, I certainly recall my grandmothers both having gorgeous complexions, I'm sure it was because of a more natural lifestyle including non synthetic skincare among other factors.
Latest post on 12 October 2014 - 13:54
Di@DXB - Wow, I've never heard of using coconut oil to treat acne before. I did a bit of Googling, and like you said, it does have lots of positive reviews. Question: how do you incorporate the coconut oil into your skincare routine? Do you cleanse with something else first and then apply coconut oil afterwards to moisturize? Or does the coconut oil double as a cleanser and moisturizer? Many thanks x
Latest post on 12 October 2014 - 09:51
Coconut oil is an excellent cleanser for acne, although its a oil it does not clog the pores, in fact it can help keep them clear, it's soothing, anti microbial, ant inflammatory, healing and moisturising. Well documented for control and management. Only use the best extra virgin coconut oil you can find.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 11 October 2014 - 19:32
I like to use skin oil at night and a very light moisturizer with SPF during the day. And yes the 2x cleanse really helps I think. I like the Boots hot cloth cleanser and their botanics cleansing milks. Very gentle on the skin.
Latest post on 11 October 2014 - 18:47
Our skin varies so much from one person to the next doesn't it?! I've tried so many products... I guess it's a matter of trial and error to figure out what works best for your skin type... Just a few days ago, before I started this thread, I ran out of my SKII cleanser - expensive Japanese brand - that wasn't improving my acne at all and was very drying... Since then, I've changed my skincare routine and my skin has improved slightly... So I bought Olay Total Effects 7 in 1 from the supermarket, and began cleansing morning and night. I do what you said you do Marroosh.. At night cleanse twice to first remove the make-up and secondly to cleanse. I also change my wash cloth regularly. I find Olay to be gentle, creamy, moisturizing and cleansing. Anyone else use this also? Afterwards I've been moisturizing with Human + Kind Family Remedy, which is sold at Boots and the Organic Shop. It contains a number of ingredients, one of which is tea tree oil. So it's got me thinking... Perhaps it's the tea tree oil that's helping my skin? Like I said before, my skin still isn't perfect, so I'm still searching for an amazing cleanser! Once again, thanks for all your suggestions x
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 11 October 2014 - 16:58
Tea tree oli doesn't work for everyone. It didn't for me at all (not during pregnancy but in general). What I do, and I have bad skin usually, is change my pillowcase every day, wash with non bio detergent or baby detergent. No scrubbing with grains! It only aggravates the acne. Use an acid toner, I have a affordable one by Boots own brand.That will gently exfoliate the skin. Don't use foaming face wash, but use oils, creams, or milk and wash with face cloth. Only use once or max twice the same cloth. Don't clog up your skin with make up, if you want use a BB cream and light powder and cleanse 2 times when removing make up. The first cleanse is to remove make up, the second is to really cleanse the skin. After acid toning, use pure rose water to tone with. Keep it in the fridge, it's nice and cool and rose water is also an astringent.
Latest post on 11 October 2014 - 15:56
Hi RubyRed, Yes, I've heard tea tree oil works! Where can I buy suki skincare in Dubai? :)
Latest post on 11 October 2014 - 09:17
While I was pregnant my doctor recommended tea tree oil. I diluted it first. It worked wonders. Now I use suki skincare, and it's organic and all natural. Good luck!
Latest post on 11 October 2014 - 01:03
Fighting acne is a multi-pronged approach, depending on what's causing your acne you need to do a combination of - clear pores - increase skin turnover - reduce oil - reduce inflammation - antibiotics - balance hormones - diet Clearing pores - Try a BHA exfoliator Increase Skin Turnover - BHA exfoliator and a retinoid (retinol, retin A, differin etc - maybe not an option during pregnancy) Reduce Oil - Oil-free moisturiser, nicotinamide, topical zinc (I think) Reduce Inflammation - many ways including diet, and topical (BHAs, nicaotinamide etc) Antibiotics -Oral (probably not an option if pregnant) -Topical - Benzyl Peroxide (harsh on skin), topical clindmycin or similar, tea tree oil Balance Hormones - reduction or elimination of dairy - spironolactone or other testosterone-reducing drugs Supplements - Zinc Vitamin A (not currently an option) Other - sunlight Proactive do a good moisturiser called "clarifying night cream" which contains some retinol, salicylic acid (a BHA) and nicotinamide My sister swears by the Garnier "pure" wash For BHA exfoliators, they need to be the correct pH. Some companies but in 5% or 10% BHA but then neutralise it to uselessness Green concealer can help cover the redness - try GOSH at Boots Acne.org is a great resource
Latest post on 10 October 2014 - 09:26
Thanks so much for your sweet and thoughtful replies :) I will definitely try out a few of these remedies. I have been very lucky that apart from acne, I've had a very pleasant pregnancy, so I shouldn't complain too much. ;) x
Latest post on 10 October 2014 - 09:05
Natural stuff clear up what is already on your face however they dont prevent future acne from coming out again as that is all hormone related. Since your pregnant you will just have to wait until you are done to get pills that will regulate your hormones and clear up any acne related stuff. We all have someting uncomfortable when we are pregnant. I had major water retention on my feet it actually looked like two soccer balls-super embarrassing! You will laugh about it one day. Dont fret about it too much.
Latest post on 09 October 2014 - 14:00
I've heard wonderful things about Argan oil, havent tried it myself yet though, but could be worth a try. I had horribleeeee acne in my 2nd trimester, I didnt want to leave the house :( Was just crazy hormones for me, nothing worked, it cleared up in my 3rd trimester though
Latest post on 09 October 2014 - 12:07
Whichever path you go down, always use a moisturizer after cleansing, toning or scrubbing as all these take the excess moisture from your skin and if you don't replenish the moisture your skin will naturally produce more oil to compensate and can make oily or acne prone skin worse. Try the seaweed or aloe collection from The Body Shop, it is very gentle and quite effective.
Latest post on 09 October 2014 - 09:42
I am the opposite of you. I have suffered from acne for more than 20 years now and amenorrhea due to pregnancy and breastfeeding (with 4 children) has been the only natural thing to clear my skin. Now that my DS is 7 months old, my acne is coming back because I suspect that my body is springing back into action fertilitywise... I don't believe in any natural methods. At least they never worked for me. The only thing that works is medicine, topical or oral. Because you are pregnant, oral medication is out. So you can buy Benzac at any pharmacy. That is the market name for benzoyl peroxide. Don't put too much on though and not too often...
Latest post on 09 October 2014 - 09:33
I found that the simpler the method, the better, and a less aggressive approach was best for me when I had sever acne. The less things going on, the better. 1. Creme cleanser like Clarins with Gentian Herbs 2. Lightweight moisturizer (but not oil free) like Kinerase lotion (don't think you can buy in Dubai) 3. A mask 3x a week like Lush's formula for acne if you want to go natural OR the mask from ProActiv 4. Nightly treatment oil from Clarins designed for oily/acne prone skin. Oil breaks oil--it works For a cover-up concealer stick, Dr. Hauschka's is great and concealed really well for me. You can buy it at the Organics shop. I found the spot treatment to be better than using a layer of mineral foundation which had so much titanium dioxide it actually highlighted it. Time will heal it. Don't go overboard with oil free products or harsh treatments, because you want to keep your skin moisturized well so it doesn't leave scarring. That's the biggest mistake people make. You can't stop the acne while your hormones are out of whack, but you can keep it from scarring. <em>edited by Beebers on 09/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 09 October 2014 - 08:52
Congrats for your pregnancy. Most of the women go through changes during these months, so don't stress. Try a homemade pack made of gram flour or rice flour, rose water and honey mixed together, let it rest for a while and then apply. The other pack which I find helpful is the Fullers Earth pack, I buy this from Al Adil (Shahnaz Hussain brand). All the best! <em>edited by NikitaD on 09/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 09 October 2014 - 07:30
Hello CrepeSuzette, this is what I do: i used the oil cleansing method with jojoba oil. I also make a natural mask with yogurt and honey (every other day when I have breakouts). Check if using tea tree oil is ok while pregnant (I'm not sure?) this helps a lot with the spots. I put a few drops on a cotton bud and apply it to the spot itself. Good luck, hopefully your acne will clear up once you LO is born. Edited to say don't forget to use a light moisturizer, I like the Avene Hydrance Light. You need to moisturize even when you have acne! <em>edited by lifeisbeautiful on 09/10/2014</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY