Islamic New year | ExpatWoman.com

Islamic New year

Latest post on 09 October 2014 - 12:46

Falls on either the Friday or Saturday - do you think we will get the Thursday or Sunday off?

(weekend of 23rd October )
<em>edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 09/10/2014</em>

Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 21:08
Is this definite? As in is it definitely dry from Friday night? Just trying to figure out whether to stay in or go out for hubby's birthday! edited by ishinami on 21/10/2014 Yes and yes, dry from fri at 7pm until sat at 7pm
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 20:41
Is this definite? As in is it definitely dry from Friday night? Just trying to figure out whether to stay in or go out for hubby's birthday! <em>edited by ishinami on 21/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 14:36
Does anyone know for sure when the dry night will be? As two different establishments have told me different things, one said thursday night another said friday night?? It is Friday from 6pm until 7pm on Saturday I have just been told that as we have a lunch to go to on Friday x Phew for you then :) x Being dry doesn't bother me. My taste for alcohol has gone right down recently. It must be my age ha
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 14:28
Does anyone know for sure when the dry night will be? As two different establishments have told me different things, one said thursday night another said friday night?? It is Friday from 6pm until 7pm on Saturday I have just been told that as we have a lunch to go to on Friday x Phew for you then :) x
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 14:28
Does anyone know for sure when the dry night will be? As two different establishments have told me different things, one said thursday night another said friday night?? It is Friday from 6pm until 7pm on Saturday I have just been told that as we have a lunch to go to on Friday x
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 14:24
Does anyone know for sure when the dry night will be? As two different establishments have told me different things, one said thursday night another said friday night?? It is Friday from 6pm until 7pm on Saturday
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 14:24
http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/general/no-change-in-islamic-new-year-holiday-in-uae-1.1401220?utm_content=1.1401220&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_campaign=No+change+in+Islamic+New+Year+holiday+in+UAE&localLinksEnabled=false&utm_term=UAE+news+RSS+feed As expected no days off
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 10:08
Does anyone know for sure when the dry night will be? As two different establishments have told me different things, one said thursday night another said friday night?? Maybe you should just be patient until the holiday is officially announced...just like every other Islamic holiday.
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 10:00
Does anyone know for sure when the dry night will be? As two different establishments have told me different things, one said thursday night another said friday night??
Latest post on 19 October 2014 - 11:32
would not be nice...always this difference between public and private...in my home country that would be not possible, that you treat public and private differently... We don't pay taxes here, have UAE passports or voting rights etc therefore unfortunately we cannot compare it to our home countries.
Latest post on 19 October 2014 - 11:23
would not be nice...always this difference between public and private...in my home country that would be not possible, that you treat public and private differently...
Latest post on 19 October 2014 - 10:02
i think public will get sunday; private will get saturday
Latest post on 19 October 2014 - 09:55
any update on the holiday coming weekend ??? our normal weekend is Friday/Saturday...collegues waiting...we all hope to get Sunday off.
Latest post on 12 October 2014 - 11:39
Just had the dreaded email from the wedding/reception venue...dry night is the 23rd from 6pm which is also the wedding date. Oh No - sorry to hear about
Latest post on 12 October 2014 - 11:25
Actually Mary, it does not look like anyone will have the Sunday off unless they take it as leave. The lucky few working for the Government or Semi Goverment may get the Thursday or Sunday off but i would say that most Private companies will be working on Sunday. It hasn't been announced anywhere for us and that included the DIFC or MOL
Latest post on 12 October 2014 - 11:05
Actually Mary, it does not look like anyone will have the Sunday off unless they take it as leave. The lucky few working for the Government or Semi Goverment may get the Thursday or Sunday off but i would say that most Private companies will be working on Sunday.
Latest post on 12 October 2014 - 10:58
Hm... Ijust said "it looks like everybody will have Sunday off" and never said that it was announced or published anywhere. But it really looks in this way :) I have lots of friends taking a long WE from Thursday to Sunday (including my DH :))
Latest post on 12 October 2014 - 10:48
Where is it written that we will get Sunday off as I have not seen this advertised. The G&S will be open as public holidays are busy days for retail etc Sorry, I don't know if it is written somewhere but all my friends will have this date off... Thanks for the reply about the Gold souk! How can you say that when no holidays have been announced?
Latest post on 12 October 2014 - 10:45
Where is it written that we will get Sunday off as I have not seen this advertised. The G&S will be open as public holidays are busy days for retail etc Sorry, I don't know if it is written somewhere but all my friends will have this date off... Thanks for the reply about the Gold souk!
Latest post on 12 October 2014 - 10:13
Ladies, it looks like everybody will have Sunday, the 26th of October off. I wonder if the Gold and Diamond souk in Deira will be open on this date??? I'd like to bring my visitors there on this day... Where is it written that we will get Sunday off as I have not seen this advertised The G&S will be open as public holidays are busy days for retail etc
Latest post on 12 October 2014 - 10:12
Ladies, it looks like everybody will have Sunday, the 26th of October off. I wonder if the Gold and Diamond souk in Deira will be open on this date??? I'd like to bring my visitors there on this day...
Latest post on 11 October 2014 - 17:36
Just had the dreaded email from the wedding/reception venue...dry night is the 23rd from 6pm which is also the wedding date.
Latest post on 09 October 2014 - 16:46
Gulf news prayer times are saying 24th. http://gulfnews.com/uaessentials/prayer-timings <em>edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 09/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 09 October 2014 - 16:16
Keeping my fingers crossed it falls on the Saturday so that the Friday night is dry. The venue seemed fairly certain that Friday would be the dry night, but I know it's all dependent on the moon etc. I think 90% of people have it done for the 25th - fingers xd! :)
Latest post on 09 October 2014 - 15:16
Keeping my fingers crossed it falls on the Saturday so that the Friday night is dry. The venue seemed fairly certain that Friday would be the dry night, but I know it's all dependent on the moon etc.
Latest post on 09 October 2014 - 15:08
Think if there is a day off it will likely be Sunday as I think it falls on the Saturday. I'm more worried about when the dry night will be as getting married that weekend. Oh no :( I hope it isn't dry for you then The venue seems to think it won't be but obviously didn't know when we booked it last year that it would be Islamic New Year and can't really change it now. Not sure if it matters if it's a private function or not. As it is a religious holiday then it will be dry 24 hours before but It all depends on what day it falls. My calendar says the 25th October. Fingers xd it wont be on your special day
Latest post on 09 October 2014 - 14:56
Think if there is a day off it will likely be Sunday as I think it falls on the Saturday. I'm more worried about when the dry night will be as getting married that weekend. Oh no :( I hope it isn't dry for you then The venue seems to think it won't be but obviously didn't know when we booked it last year that it would be Islamic New Year and can't really change it now. Not sure if it matters if it's a private function or not.
Latest post on 09 October 2014 - 14:25
Think if there is a day off it will likely be Sunday as I think it falls on the Saturday. I'm more worried about when the dry night will be as getting married that weekend. Oh no :( I hope it isn't dry for you then
Latest post on 09 October 2014 - 14:03
Think if there is a day off it will likely be Sunday as I think it falls on the Saturday. I'm more worried about when the dry night will be as getting married that weekend.
Latest post on 09 October 2014 - 13:31
i think we got one day.... just wondering as most people got a tiny Eid holiday if they will move it to the Thursday or Sunday I hope so - that would be nice Ps you did mean Oct right? I did - obviously in weekend mode already ;)

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY