Egg roll wrappers?? | ExpatWoman.com

Egg roll wrappers??

Latest post on 15 October 2014 - 14:56

http://www.divianconner.com/2012/07/bacon-cheeseburger-eggrolls.html?m=1

I want to make this recipe but can't find the egg roll wrappers. I can find spring roll but I don't know if those will work.

I've been to C4, Hyper Panda, Spinneys, and Choithrams.

Help!!

Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 13:06
Sami and Belinda, thank you so much! I picked up two packs today from Lulu's!
Latest post on 19 October 2014 - 16:31
Great! I'm going by there on Thursday.
Latest post on 19 October 2014 - 12:55
At the Lulu in al Barsha today! In the last fridge section on the site of the olives.
Latest post on 18 October 2014 - 18:42
The Samosa or Sambusa wrappers are closer to the texture of what Americans call egg roll wrappers. So if you are ok for them to be triangles and smaller then you can see this youtube video of how to fold samosas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE9WZzjVGhI I missed egg roll wrappers so much I once made them homemade... using my pasta roller... at the time I made it I said I would never do it again but if I crave them again I know I would do it. edited by Abaddon on 18/10/2014 I guess in a pinch I don't have a choice. The triangles might be easier for the kids to pick up.
Latest post on 18 October 2014 - 18:40
BTW, to oven-fry, preheat a liberally greased metal baking sheet at 400F/ 200C. Brush each item liberally with oil on all sides, then place in oven. Keep an eye on items and turn as necessary with tongs. Definitely prevents burst wrappers. That's a great tip, thank you!
Latest post on 18 October 2014 - 03:51
The Samosa or Sambusa wrappers are closer to the texture of what Americans call egg roll wrappers. So if you are ok for them to be triangles and smaller then you can see this youtube video of how to fold samosas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE9WZzjVGhI I missed egg roll wrappers so much I once made them homemade... using my pasta roller... at the time I made it I said I would never do it again but if I crave them again I know I would do it. <em>edited by Abaddon on 18/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 18 October 2014 - 00:55
Some brands of "spring roll" wrappers are thicker/ sturdier than others. Sunbulla, Al Karama and Switz are thicker than KG Pastry. I've used egg roll wrappers in the States (usually bought from the Chinese supermarket) and spring roll wrappers here, without filling bursting out while frying. BTW, to oven-fry, preheat a liberally greased metal baking sheet at 400F/ 200C. Brush each item liberally with oil on all sides, then place in oven. Keep an eye on items and turn as necessary with tongs. Definitely prevents burst wrappers.
Latest post on 16 October 2014 - 17:56
Thank you!
Latest post on 16 October 2014 - 14:26
Saw some egg roll wrapper in lulu al barsha this week it was placed next to the tofu.
Latest post on 16 October 2014 - 09:26
Ah I see, the recipe you linked is a really heavy filling so maybe the spring roll wrap isnt thick enough? edited by Cherpie on 16/10/2014 That's my concern, that the spring roll wrapper won't hold up when I'm deep frying.
Latest post on 16 October 2014 - 08:41
Indeed they're not, you're right. The egg roll ones I've found more chewy and doughy so I prefer spring roll type. I once tried to make my own, you just need flour and egg, water and salt... But they're a mess and really tricky to do yourself. Hope someone can find them around town for you! Ah I see, the recipe you linked is a really heavy filling so maybe the spring roll wrap isnt thick enough? But maybe less filling would work. Best of luck finding what you need <em>edited by Cherpie on 16/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 16 October 2014 - 06:43
I know spring rolls and egg rolls are not the same thing. Spring roll wrappers are thinner and made from a rice base. So I'm hesitant to use them. I've found spring roll wrappers every where but not egg roll. Anyone else?
Latest post on 15 October 2014 - 15:02
Spring rolls are what they use- just made some awesome crab rolls last weekend! I got a three pack (each pack has 10) for a very reasonable price at c4, they're in the frozen section by the other doughs
Latest post on 15 October 2014 - 14:59
same thing i believe. US - Egg roll UK - Spring rolls

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY