Maid going home for week for legal reasons | ExpatWoman.com

Maid going home for week for legal reasons

Latest post on 15 October 2014 - 15:31

Here we go again....it's never ending all this maid rubbish!

Our maid has 'told' me she needs to go home for a week sometime next month (at a time to suit us, how kind) to sign some papers regarding the sale of some land. WHat the..?
Why on earth would she think this is acceptable?
She has had her paid leave at the end of the last contract already.
She did say she would pay for the flight and a friend would stand in for her (illegal I know).

We have always found ways to sign things abroad, remotely or by courier. Surely she can do the same!
I smell a rat....she has been acting strangely recently.

Have any of you very experienced maid employers ever heard such a cheeky request?

Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 22:30
Well I guess we could insist on her finishing her contract, but it wouldn't be too pleasant for anyone would it. So best to let her go a few months early next year. I'm not talking about letting her break her contract already. Her family is not happy with her not coming home now, but that's not my problem, she has a contract! Should have seen the writing on the wall - she asked me a while back already (August?) how much DH had shelled out to renew her visa, then went very quiet realising how she was really obliged to stay after that outlay!
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 13:28
I'm sorry to hear that VictoriaM. It's really unfair that you are saddled with the financial implications of her being unwilling to honour her contract. At least she told you in the end rather than just not returning which so often seems to happen. Good luck for finding someone new.
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 11:01
Well, that is really unfair to you! Less than 4 months ago she renewed with you and now doesn't feel like staying anymore!
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 10:09
Having spoken to our maid again, the sale contract signing IS genuine, but I was also right to be suspicious! She doesn't really want to come back, but does realise she is contracted to stay until next summer. I did think she was very distracted and something was going on! She is older, feels she has done her time and her family wants her home. Her contract runs out in July when we are away for the summer. So it makes sense all round to find someone else earlier so that they can be settled for the summer when they will have to take charge, and let her break her contract early. I dont think having an unwilling maid around would be great to be honest. She is already not concentrating and getting lots of things wrong! Thanks for your advice ladies.
Latest post on 19 October 2014 - 16:22
I didn't disagree with you at all OOpsieDaisy and MOlly. In fact I didn't bat an eyelid when she first told me. But then in retrospect I wondered if this was another of those oft-used maid ruses that I was ignorant of! I'm a bit green in these maid matters and don't want to get taken for too much of a ride! A friend says she's heard this one before, that she possibly just fancies going home for a bit and to offer to get the document couriered over for signature. I will suggest that first. If she is adamant that wont work, and she has to have a week off, then I think it's fair that its Taken as part of her annual leave rather than an extra freebie. I suppose the only other thing I'm really concerned about is whether there is a chance she may not return. Can An excuse like this be used as a way of getting out of a contract early? I know her family really wants her to stay in SRi Lanka. Sounds like good idea to offer help with a courier. You never know, she may not even know that this can be done. Hope all works out
Latest post on 17 October 2014 - 17:01
I didn't disagree with you at all OOpsieDaisy and MOlly. In fact I didn't bat an eyelid when she first told me. But then in retrospect I wondered if this was another of those oft-used maid ruses that I was ignorant of! I'm a bit green in these maid matters and don't want to get taken for too much of a ride! A friend says she's heard this one before, that she possibly just fancies going home for a bit and to offer to get the document couriered over for signature. I will suggest that first. If she is adamant that wont work, and she has to have a week off, then I think it's fair that its Taken as part of her annual leave rather than an extra freebie. I suppose the only other thing I'm really concerned about is whether there is a chance she may not return. Can An excuse like this be used as a way of getting out of a contract early? I know her family really wants her to stay in SRi Lanka.
Latest post on 17 October 2014 - 10:51
It may be a nuisance, but really no more than that. She pays for her own flight and can either make up for the days lost or you can take a week of her leave next year. As for her replacement: you can take her up on her offer or get a temp. maid via an agency. I do find employers, not you in particular OP, rather egocentric more often than not. Many of us fly back home a couple of times a year for major or minor reasons. Why can't we accept that our maids may also have a valid reason to go home outside their annual leave?
Latest post on 16 October 2014 - 18:54
I know it is a nuisance for you but it sounds like she's being honest. Lets face it, if it was for something else (wedding, birth of family member etc.) she'd have used a story that may have pulled at your heart strings or made it pretty impossible for you to say no to. It wouldn't surprise me if she had to be present in Sri Lanka to do such a thing by the way. Hope all ends well for you
Latest post on 15 October 2014 - 16:32
A deed/contract to sell some land in SRi Lanka. There must be another way of doing it, surely. What sort of suspicious behaviour do you mean TB?? Any specific thoughts? We've all heard of maids asking to go home because of a death in the family, but has anyone heard of requests for others reasons like this?
Latest post on 15 October 2014 - 16:02
What is it she needs to sign & why? It could surely be done here, attested at court and stamped by the embassy of her home country. As an aside, I'd be particularly careful and on the look out for suspicious behaviour if i were you!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY