Name Change, Passports and Visas | ExpatWoman.com

Name Change, Passports and Visas

Latest post on 29 December 2014 - 11:49
Hi greenkween13 I know this is an old post however I finally changed my name last year while here in Qatar. My husband also works for Sidra and they sorted everything out for me once I had my new passport. I did not have to put my name in the paper however I do know someone else who worked at Sidra that needed to a few years ago. I made sure the PRO office were aware that I was going to change my name so they could tell me the process and prepare everything. I did need to get a letter from my embassy (Australian) to say that they had no objection to my name being changed. It seemed a bit redundant because they were the ones who processed my new passport with the new name but that's the Middle East ;) I am not sure where you are in the process or if you are even still looking at coming however Sidra HR should be able to give you advice on this from the PRO's who sorted mine and others out.
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 08:46
Having something in a contract isn't enough to ensure that they will honour it. You can't guarantee any employer anywhere will honour any term! However, I think you're over-thinking this and I wouldn't worry about the multiple exit permit not being in the contract. I wouldn't expect any large employer to be willing to amend standard employment contracts to include additional provisions requested by employees (unless your husband was applying to board level which it doesn't sound like he is). In Qatar any expat on a business or work visa needs an exit permit to leave the country. These can be granted or not granted at the employer's discretion. A multiple exit permit eliminates the need to ask each time i.e. it eliminates the administrative hassle and means that you don't have to worry about having your movements known. A multiple exit permit doesn't change the law - your employer's permission is still required for you to exit the country - it's just that the multiple exit permit is permission to leave as many times as the employee wants for a year. However, an employer can still cancel a multiple exit permit if it wants to i.e. having a multiple exit permit doesn't stop your employer from holding you in the country if it wants to. If you don't like this constraint on your husband's freedom then it's an issue with working in Qatar not any particular employer. <em>edited by lalala on 27/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 26 October 2014 - 23:33
We got some clarification on this from my husband's potential employer--but the gist is that they say they will grant him a multi-exit, but won't put it in the contract: "For his position a multi-exit permit is issued when you receive your RP (residence permit) – this enables him to be able to leave Qatar as and when he wishes as many times as he wishes. I am advised since the process changed to now incorporate his grade, once he has received his multi-exit permit he will not need to revisit the Immigration department each time he wishes to leave. The exit permit process does not form part of Sidra contracts, nor will it ever be included in there currently. The contract are standard contracts and approved at length by the Legal department, these cannot be altered in any manner." We have this in writing (email) but will that be enough to ensure they honor it? <em>edited by greenkween13 on 26/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 09:15
I have a multi-exit from my employers and definitely do not need anything else. When I'm traveling for personal reasons (weekend away, travel during public holidays) I don't inform them - just get on the plane and go.
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 08:07
If you have a multi exit permit you can leave - no need to get another one or get it validted. I have one and I just book my flights and go. The usual caveat to anything in Qatar is that everything can change with no notice, but I have never heard that once you have a multiple exit permit you still need to get another permission to leave.
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 04:06
Is it true that even with a multi-exit visa you still need to make an exit permit request via the Immigration dept? My husband's employer is saying this is still required and it takes 2 days to process--I thought the point of a multi-exit visa was to be able to leave at will?
Latest post on 17 October 2014 - 20:03
It is a huge hassle to change your name on your RP - you have to put an ad in the paper etc etc - so if you're going to do it, do it now. I kept my maiden name and had no problems. Regarding the multi-exit permit, only the employee needs it - you as a wife can leave whenever you like, whether he has a permit or not. I would get it in writing that a multi-exit permit will be issued before committing to any contracts.
Latest post on 17 October 2014 - 12:58
Hi, I kept my maiden name and this has not caused any problems here regarding visas etc. However, if in 2016 you plan on changing your name on your passport then visas etc here will need to be changed and I have been told that this can be difficult to arrange. If I were you and planned on changing my name I would do so now and save any bother down the road. J
Latest post on 17 October 2014 - 10:11
TBH I wouldn't bother unless its vitally important to you to have the same surname on your passport as your spouse. I've had a different surname to my DH for nearly 40 years. Its never been an issue and we've lived all over the world as expats. The multi exit visa is valid for one year at a time and costs 500QR which may or may not be paid for by the employer. The employer must give consent to the issue of the visa and this is usually via a consent letter. <em>edited by Hamra on 17/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 17 October 2014 - 09:04
Hi there! I'm recently married and my husband just took a job at Sidra. I expect to be moving there in April. I was originally planning to wait to change my name until my passport expires in 2016, but assuming we're still living in Doha I'm wondering if making the change then will create problems for my visa. Seeking a little advice--should I deal with the name change now and issue a new passport before I leave, even though I have more than a year left on it? Also, wondering if anyone has had issues obtaining multi-exit visas. Thanks!