Oblivious or just rude. | ExpatWoman.com

Oblivious or just rude.

Latest post on 13 June 2015 - 03:00
I miss Texas with all of the politeness 'yes Mam' 'yes Sir' holding doors open, etc fabulousness! This is only my 4th summer in the sandpit but really don't like living in a place that I can't live in all year round, and for those that do - wear your badges of honour, berate us who think it sucks, but there are much better places out there. Don't tell me to leave Im only here to bank the cash, and enjoy while Im here too but remember we all have to leave at the end of the day whether we love or hate the place
Latest post on 13 June 2015 - 01:21
I forgot about this thread :) Last month I was in Texas, and I was struck by how absolutely nice and friendly (almost) everybody was. I went to a public restroom in a restaurant, and seriously, it was crazy! "Oh, by the way, there's no tissue in that one," "Oh, honey I think you were first!" "Wow what a nice outfit!" "Oops, I'm sorry, I'm in your way!"Another lady handed a towel to the lady next to her struggling to reach, and another elderly lady came in with ladies letting her queue first. It was like the Stepford wives :) That's because people in Texas (and the rest of the south) take pride in their manners - kind of like how women here take pride in their Birkins but different. Ha, well, they can also be pretty quick to gossip too :) I lived there many years. I think in general Americans are pretty friendly--or at the very least, hardly ever will someone bump into you and not say "excuse me" or "I'm sorry." Personal space is something people are very conscious of. In fact, I remember walking to work from the train station years ago in a big American city--I could probably make it the entire 8 city blocks without anyone bumping into me, even in morning rush. That's how much people just don't want to brush up on each other I guess!
Latest post on 11 June 2015 - 10:15
I was just complaining about this to my husband the other day! How when you let a car get in front of you, they don't acknowledge with any kind of hand gesture that you did them a favor. Someone flashed their hazards at me the other day as a thank you, haven't had that happen for years, it was lovely. I tend to avoid any hand gestures when driving here in case it is misinterpreted....
Latest post on 10 June 2015 - 23:01
I was just complaining about this to my husband the other day! How when you let a car get in front of you, they don't acknowledge with any kind of hand gesture that you did them a favor.
Latest post on 10 June 2015 - 13:30
I agree- there are a lot of very rude people in Dubai, mostly whilst they are driving! But there are also some lovely polite people too. The security guy at my children's school always smiles and says hello. He is at his desk all day and is never grumpy. Also I find almost all shop/cafe/petrol station workers to be really pleasant. I know in England we say 'thank you' about a million times per transaction, but I feel it is meant more genuinely here. If only everyone could learn to use indicators and show some consideration on the roads then I would be happy x
Latest post on 10 June 2015 - 11:46
I think people here need elevator manners: - Let people get out of the elevator first before barging in - Dont crowd in just because you can, causing people to have to rub up against each other - Dont get in an elevator thats going down, press a floor up, and then get annoyed when it goes down - Parents with pushchairs get priority - you can take the **** escalator! Driving etiquette is a whole other topic! This! [i'>[b'>Parents with pushchairs get priority - you can take the **** escalator![/b'>[/i'> It should be engraved in golden letters on the wall next to the lifts!!! Especially in places like Dubai mall, Marina mall, etc.
Latest post on 10 June 2015 - 11:06
I think people here need elevator manners: - Let people get out of the elevator first before barging in - Dont crowd in just because you can, causing people to have to rub up against each other - Dont get in an elevator thats going down, press a floor up, and then get annoyed when it goes down - Parents with pushchairs get priority - you can take the **** escalator! Driving etiquette is a whole other topic!
Latest post on 10 June 2015 - 08:38
This is really sad... I don't go out much and am not driving at the moment.. and luckily I have not noticed this kind of behaviour as such.. although people are generally not friendly but not rude either.. !
Latest post on 08 June 2015 - 08:57
I forgot about this thread :) Last month I was in Texas, and I was struck by how absolutely nice and friendly (almost) everybody was. I went to a public restroom in a restaurant, and seriously, it was crazy! "Oh, by the way, there's no tissue in that one," "Oh, honey I think you were first!" "Wow what a nice outfit!" "Oops, I'm sorry, I'm in your way!"Another lady handed a towel to the lady next to her struggling to reach, and another elderly lady came in with ladies letting her queue first. It was like the Stepford wives :) That's because people in Texas (and the rest of the south) take pride in their manners - kind of like how women here take pride in their Birkins but different.
Latest post on 07 June 2015 - 19:43
I forgot about this thread :) Last month I was in Texas, and I was struck by how absolutely nice and friendly (almost) everybody was. I went to a public restroom in a restaurant, and seriously, it was crazy! "Oh, by the way, there's no tissue in that one," "Oh, honey I think you were first!" "Wow what a nice outfit!" "Oops, I'm sorry, I'm in your way!"Another lady handed a towel to the lady next to her struggling to reach, and another elderly lady came in with ladies letting her queue first. It was like the Stepford wives :)
Latest post on 07 June 2015 - 19:30
I was looking for some school reviews and this post came from the search! So true, ladies, perfectly described!!! I especially "enjoy" gentlemen`s manners in this country. I am going from parking to lobby with baby in one hand and xxx shopping bags (heavy groceries! nothing chic in the bags), another young child walking next to me and NO ONE tries/wants to help me - open/hold the door, press the lift button etc, while security guy is sitting on his chair and starring at me stupidly! Or another neighbour is waiting for a lift and also stupidly looking at me through the glass how I am kicking in the door to enter... I know those people will never change and this is simply a part of their disrespectful behaviour, but I can not help myself, it still drives me crazy...
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 13:45
Speaking of rude, who gave me a thumbs down? I stated facts, actual happenings. What don't you like? I don't understand the thumbs up, thumbs down. We're all grown, if you do not like the post you can simply click add reply and state your reasons. Thanks in advance for the thumbs down this post will probably receive :) I really don't understand people pressing the thumbs down button either when it makes no sense to... I have put up a separate post about my landlady and asked for help/opinions of people in if I should write a letter to her etc... and someone has pressed the thumbs down??! Very odd! If we all express our opinions to things and those that don't agree - yes go thumbs down happy thats acceptable - but when its stating facts its really a weird thing to do! The only person I could think of that would have "down thumbed" me in my other post would be my landlady reading it haha - and I doubt very much it is her as her English is poor and she only knows the words "Leave my property get out now go go go!" :) That's quite funny!! Some posters do it, purely because they don't like other posters - they act like children. It's a bit pathetic. Just ignore it. Doesn't mean anything anyway. Well that can be the only reason - it is really pathetic! "These" people obviously just don't like Geordies I guess! How dare they!!! ;) But on a serious note I couldn't give a monkeys I just find it odd!
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 13:40
Speaking of rude, who gave me a thumbs down? I stated facts, actual happenings. What don't you like? I don't understand the thumbs up, thumbs down. We're all grown, if you do not like the post you can simply click add reply and state your reasons. Thanks in advance for the thumbs down this post will probably receive :) I really don't understand people pressing the thumbs down button either when it makes no sense to... I have put up a separate post about my landlady and asked for help/opinions of people in if I should write a letter to her etc... and someone has pressed the thumbs down??! Very odd! If we all express our opinions to things and those that don't agree - yes go thumbs down happy thats acceptable - but when its stating facts its really a weird thing to do! The only person I could think of that would have "down thumbed" me in my other post would be my landlady reading it haha - and I doubt very much it is her as her English is poor and she only knows the words "Leave my property get out now go go go!" :) That's quite funny!! Some posters do it, purely because they don't like other posters - they act like children. It's a bit pathetic. Just ignore it. Doesn't mean anything anyway.
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 13:31
Speaking of rude, who gave me a thumbs down? I stated facts, actual happenings. What don't you like? I don't understand the thumbs up, thumbs down. We're all grown, if you do not like the post you can simply click add reply and state your reasons. Thanks in advance for the thumbs down this post will probably receive :) I really don't understand people pressing the thumbs down button either when it makes no sense to... I have put up a separate post about my landlady and asked for help/opinions of people in if I should write a letter to her etc... and someone has pressed the thumbs down??! Very odd! If we all express our opinions to things and those that don't agree - yes go thumbs down happy thats acceptable - but when its stating facts its really a weird thing to do! The only person I could think of that would have "down thumbed" me in my other post would be my landlady reading it haha - and I doubt very much it is her as her English is poor and she only knows the words "Leave my property get out now go go go!" :) That's quite funny!!
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 13:27
Speaking of rude, who gave me a thumbs down? I stated facts, actual happenings. What don't you like? I don't understand the thumbs up, thumbs down. We're all grown, if you do not like the post you can simply click add reply and state your reasons. Thanks in advance for the thumbs down this post will probably receive :) I really don't understand people pressing the thumbs down button either when it makes no sense to... I have put up a separate post about my landlady and asked for help/opinions of people in if I should write a letter to her etc... and someone has pressed the thumbs down??! Very odd! If we all express our opinions to things and those that don't agree - yes go thumbs down happy thats acceptable - but when its stating facts its really a weird thing to do! The only person I could think of that would have "down thumbed" me in my other post would be my landlady reading it haha - and I doubt very much it is her as her English is poor and she only knows the words "Leave my property get out now go go go!" :)
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 13:15
Speaking of rude, who gave me a thumbs down? I stated facts, actual happenings. What don't you like? I don't understand the thumbs up, thumbs down. We're all grown, if you do not like the post you can simply click add reply and state your reasons. Thanks in advance for the thumbs down this post will probably receive :) Sometimes it is an accident and you can't revert it ;) But I agreed with all your points!! It doesn't hurt to say thank you - ARGHHHH drives me mad Thank you ;)
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 13:12
Speaking of rude, who gave me a thumbs down? I stated facts, actual happenings. What don't you like? I don't understand the thumbs up, thumbs down. We're all grown, if you do not like the post you can simply click add reply and state your reasons. Thanks in advance for the thumbs down this post will probably receive :) Sometimes it is an accident and you can't revert it ;) But I agreed with all your points!! It doesn't hurt to say thank you - ARGHHHH drives me mad
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 12:27
Speaking of rude, who gave me a thumbs down? I stated facts, actual happenings. What don't you like? I don't understand the thumbs up, thumbs down. We're all grown, if you do not like the post you can simply click add reply and state your reasons. Thanks in advance for the thumbs down this post will probably receive :)
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 11:12
What about all the mums and dads on the school run who feel it is perfectly ok to completely block the road while they pick/up drop off their children? The other day, someone blocked an entire road - parked perpendicularly while she got her children's bags out of the car. And then looked at me like I was the devil when I blew my horn!! Seriously this happened to me two days ago, we could not drive out until she decided to slowly and deliberately pack her car then drive out. Was at least three of us waiting. Not like there weren't any free spaces either!
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 10:42
What about all the mums and dads on the school run who feel it is perfectly ok to completely block the road while they pick/up drop off their children? The other day, someone blocked an entire road - parked perpendicularly while she got her children's bags out of the car. And then looked at me like I was the devil when I blew my horn!!
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 10:21
I have heard a lot of excuses, and being from an area that is consistently called one of the rudest places in the world.... Yea you may hear an ef ew more often than hello but people can do more damage here than curse. Shutting the lift on a kid is not acceptable! Putting my kid in danger goes above and beyond rude. Driving on my bumper while my kid is in the back seat... Well let's just say I've pulled over more than once in this city cause people don't seem to care what danger they are causing. No, the people here are not only rude, but very disrespectful. At least I'm happy to admit my faults and not go on being rude and pretending the other person is at fault! Cutting in front of me whilst beeping as if I did something other than drive my car in a straight line in the proper lane as example....
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 09:34
Living here for a mere two months, I, too find people rude. The locals are extremely well mannered. Things that are people oblivious too: 1. Not saying thank you when you hold the door. 2. Seeing the elevator door almost close on your 6 year old while they smirk instead of holding the elevator. 3. Seeing you come in behind them and letting the door slam in your face. 4. Answering a call in the middle of a conversation without saying 'excuse me' or 'sorry, 1 minute'. 5. Dragon mart. Enough said. I tend to be the one that says something but I've been holding my tongue and being a mere observer and surprised at how rude people are. My friend has been here for years, when she walks in the mall, people don't move out of her way, they bump into her and she's the one that says sorry. I can make a much longer list but those are what stand out to me.
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 13:42
Living here for almost 3 years now I've experienced some really rude people and some genuinely polite kind souls. I have decided to just let things go in most cases, simply because I want my blood pressure to remain low. I appreciate the good manners when I'm back in the UK and literally lap it up. Being in Dubai has made me more patient and forgiving thats for sure and it comes in handy when you do a lot of travel all over the world.
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 12:56
dear Chocobella; no I am not a saint, nor do I think I was insulted nor taken for granted. I am just hesitant to judge someone's character on the basis of these one-minute encounters because these few minutes' rude encounters dont give us enough evidence to make a judgement on the rude-behaving person. Okay, someone might have been rude at that moment, but may be in the next moment they went to the charity box and put a lot of cash in it because they felt bad. We just dont know. Thats all I am saying. And I know that I dont know, so I try not to judge. I also know there are no benefits in confronting rude people because chances are they will not be in the correct state to imbibe advice and, two, it does nothing for the emotional and physical health (increased blood pressure, stress levels) of the advice-giver. And anyway who am I to go around correcting rude behaviour like the moral police, as I might be equally rude without knowing it five minutes later. To me these rude episodes in the public are tests for me: am I patient? Can my reaction of patience to their rudeness defuse the situation? Often that is more beneficial anyway, patience and calmness are cooling states while rudeness is hot; so best put out the fire (of anger, rudeness) with some cooling water of calmness and trying to help or understand rather than adding to the fire. Can you not see that rude is just RUDE ? No excuses, no tests of your patience, no cultural differences, no need to understand - either a person is rude or they aren't...True, there's no obligation for others to acknowledge the rude behaviour - we can all choose to ignore it but by doing so we are further enabling the rudeness and the culprit will continue, blissfully unaware that their attitude is unacceptable...
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 12:31
Manners cost nothing and I don't care if someone is having a bad day I couldn't walk into work and snap my bosses head off so why would I do it to a random person. Many people here do not display good manners and are rude regardless of their day. If people do not pull them up on it then they will continue to behave that way. Many people do feel entitled and tend to be embarrassed when spoken to. Perhaps it will teach them not to be so selfish.
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 21:18
A bad day is no excuse to not perform and behave properly in a job, especially not in a customer service job. It is extremely unprofessional to let your personal life affect your work life. I have come across all sorts of behaviours here from all sorts of nationalities. I'm not going to point any fingers now but I have to say I prefer European customer service. Staff tend to be properly trained and know what is expected of them as well as how to treat and approach customers. I had a poxy day today but I was still able to say "sorry", "excuse me" and "thank you" and that was just in the regular interacting with people and as a customer. dear Ilovecandy, there is a strong link between having a bad day and being rude. If you have had some difficulties there is no way we give off the same good-mannered vibes as you would if you had had some great news. Also, what is rude to one is not rude to another. Two weeks back in Jordan a lady kept pushing her pram onto my abaya in the queue at Max (we were all queueing well by the way, Arab and non-Arab); by the third push I began to get a bit irritated but tried to remain patient; she was a smart lady and noticed and said, "well what can I do when your abaya is so long!!" and she said it in the loudest voice for all the (relatively ordered) queue to hear. Being on the shy side I was a bit mortified, but forced my mind into contemplating the differences between Emirati and Jordanian abayas, the latter being so much shorter than the former. Really the lady meant no harm, she didnt mean to wreck my abaya, nor did she mean to shame me in public bringing everyones attention to the inordinate length of my abaya; and it is all cultural. Jordanians talk their heart out and wear their abayas shorter. So we can say: she was rude; or we can say: she wasnt rude, she was just behaving in the way she has been culturally conditioned. dear ummuhammad123, We will have to agree to disagree on this one. What is good-mannered vibes to one is not good-mannered vibes to another. So sorry I dont have great news to share re rude people in Dubai but I am happy you have had good experiences, we certainly need more of those. However, I refuse to be a doormat and if I come across rude people, I say something and dont justify their manners or lack thereof (in my mind) due to the way they have been conditioned. I will say it again, as I really believe, there is no excuse for being rude and there is a difference between being rude and having an off day. I've got to agree with you Candy, there is no excuse for someone to be rude.. I would never push at the front of a queue just because last night I had an argument with my husband or I had a flat tyre. It costs nothing to say 'thank you' if you are holding a door open for people, waiting your turn in a queue, holding a lift door open (beebers your story made me laugh), packing your own bags if the bag packer isn't there etc etc. Its easy to make excuses for people. Today I saw a lady refuse to unload her items from her trolley onto the conveyor belt and she made the woman behind the till do it (she was holding the queue up). Now I *know* for a fact that woman is perfectly fit (I had just been in the same class at the gym with her). So if it wasn't a physical problem she couldn't bend down and do it herself....what is the excuse for that then? Also she was really giving the poor till girl a dreadful time about how she should pack her bags. I would have LOVED to have seen her pull that one in my local Sainsburys back home ;) I agree that I would rather not get cross and have to say something to a complete stranger, but I like to think by pointing out their behaviour they may, JUST MAY realise that there are other people living on this planet besides them.
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 19:15
You must be a saint Ummuhammad. A woman publicly embarrasses you and you are finding excuses for her behavior on the basis of the length of the Jordanian abaya? What could she have done she asked? She could have walked a little further behind making THE EFFORT to NOT tread on your abaya. Plus she could have NOT shouted to have everyone look at you. It's simple manners, nothing to do with being loud as a culture or Emirati abaya being too long. You seem to be an apologist since you feel that others being rude to you must have something to do with you provoking it. Being kind and considerate is one thing, being taken for granted and insulted is quite another. <em>edited by Chocobella on 20/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 19:07
I agree so much about the challenge we face to walk around MOE unobstructed! Every time I go, I think to myself 'am not going to move for them, let them move for me'. But they don't move, and if I didn't, then we would surely crash. I think it is partly because people get used to looking down at their mobiles rather than up at people around them. They seem oblivious, and of course it entirely matches how people drive here: If I am here, then it is my right of way!!
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 18:28
They do say the best way to change behavior is to reward good behavior rather than punish bad behavior..... on my way home this evening the car behind let me move into their lane which I needed to be in to turn, so I wizzed down my window and gave a big thank you wave out of it. Maybe I can start a trend, it does my head in when I don't get a thank you from a driver I've let into the lane (or who just cuts in front) <em>edited by Britgirldubai on 20/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 17:45
dear Ilovecandy, there is a strong link between having a bad day and being rude. If you have had some difficulties there is no way we give off the same good-mannered vibes as you would if you had had some great news. Also, what is rude to one is not rude to another. Two weeks back in Jordan a lady kept pushing her pram onto my abaya in the queue at Max (we were all queueing well by the way, Arab and non-Arab); by the third push I began to get a bit irritated but tried to remain patient; she was a smart lady and noticed and said, "well what can I do when your abaya is so long!!" and she said it in the loudest voice for all the (relatively ordered) queue to hear. Being on the shy side I was a bit mortified, but forced my mind into contemplating the differences between Emirati and Jordanian abayas, the latter being so much shorter than the former. Really the lady meant no harm, she didnt mean to wreck my abaya, nor did she mean to shame me in public bringing everyones attention to the inordinate length of my abaya; and it is all cultural. Jordanians talk their heart out and wear their abayas shorter. So we can say: she was rude; or we can say: she wasnt rude, she was just behaving in the way she has been culturally conditioned. dear ummuhammad123, We will have to agree to disagree on this one. What is good-mannered vibes to one is not good-mannered vibes to another. So sorry I dont have great news to share re rude people in Dubai but I am happy you have had good experiences, we certainly need more of those. However, I refuse to be a doormat and if I come across rude people, I say something and dont justify their manners or lack thereof (in my mind) due to the way they have been conditioned. I will say it again, as I really believe, there is no excuse for being rude and there is a difference between being rude and having an off day. I've got to agree with you Candy, there is no excuse for someone to be rude.. I would never push at the front of a queue just because last night I had an argument with my husband or I had a flat tyre. It costs nothing to say 'thank you' if you are holding a door open for people, waiting your turn in a queue, holding a lift door open (beebers your story made me laugh), packing your own bags if the bag packer isn't there etc etc. Its easy to make excuses for people. Today I saw a lady refuse to unload her items from her trolley onto the conveyor belt and she made the woman behind the till do it (she was holding the queue up). Now I *know* for a fact that woman is perfectly fit (I had just been in the same class at the gym with her). So if it wasn't a physical problem she couldn't bend down and do it herself....what is the excuse for that then? Also she was really giving the poor till girl a dreadful time about how she should pack her bags. I would have LOVED to have seen her pull that one in my local Sainsburys back home ;) I agree that I would rather not get cross and have to say something to a complete stranger, but I like to think by pointing out their behaviour they may, JUST MAY realise that there are other people living on this planet besides them.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY