Canal project diversions Al Wasl FYI | ExpatWoman.com

Canal project diversions Al Wasl FYI

Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 13:53
Couldn't figure out why traffic was lighter today, then thought maybe because of Diwali
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 12:59
@Pollydxb, the public transport here takes you all over Dubai But it's often inconvenient, and much slower than driving yourself. DH tried using public transport to get to work, and the journey that normally takes him 15 minutes by car ended up taking over an hour by a mixture of bus, metro and walking - and of course, waiting for buses and walking are both out during the summer, at least if DH doesn't want to arrive at work needing a shower and a complete change of clothes. The metro is great if you live right next to a metro station *and* your destination is very close to one as well. But for most people, those criteria don't apply. I agree Madge_Gustard. DH tried it a couple of times with me dropping him off at Nakheel metro and then going into Emirates Towers. It made a long day so much longer and more stressful than a 20/30 minute car journey. PS SZR was almost a dream to drive down this morning, I guess a lot of people have taken the day off ! The roads were a breeze today especially by Dnata For me too - very bizarre!
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 12:59
Sounds like fun ladies. Hope you all get where you need to be on time. @Pollydxb, the public transport here takes you all over Dubai. In the newer developments now there are buses connection to metro stations. I have lived here for 5 years and have always used public transport. It just takes a bit of figuring out. Sorry Marroosh but I also have to agree with Madge_Gustard - I would need to spend more money too, a taxi would cost me at least 10Dhs from home to the metro, and then the cost of the 2 stop metro ride, and then a taxi from metro station to work (no bus), that is over 20dhs without thinking, driving to work will cost me nowt! Except time
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 12:56
This seems to explain it a lot better - http://www.emirates247.com/news/emirates/sheikh-zayed-road-diversion-starts-saturday-here-are-the-alternatives-2014-10-23-1.567331 Reckon we may just be ok!
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 09:28
@Pollydxb, the public transport here takes you all over Dubai But it's often inconvenient, and much slower than driving yourself. DH tried using public transport to get to work, and the journey that normally takes him 15 minutes by car ended up taking over an hour by a mixture of bus, metro and walking - and of course, waiting for buses and walking are both out during the summer, at least if DH doesn't want to arrive at work needing a shower and a complete change of clothes. The metro is great if you live right next to a metro station *and* your destination is very close to one as well. But for most people, those criteria don't apply. I agree Madge_Gustard. DH tried it a couple of times with me dropping him off at Nakheel metro and then going into Emirates Towers. It made a long day so much longer and more stressful than a 20/30 minute car journey. PS SZR was almost a dream to drive down this morning, I guess a lot of people have taken the day off ! The roads were a breeze today especially by Dnata
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 09:21
@Pollydxb, the public transport here takes you all over Dubai But it's often inconvenient, and much slower than driving yourself. DH tried using public transport to get to work, and the journey that normally takes him 15 minutes by car ended up taking over an hour by a mixture of bus, metro and walking - and of course, waiting for buses and walking are both out during the summer, at least if DH doesn't want to arrive at work needing a shower and a complete change of clothes. The metro is great if you live right next to a metro station *and* your destination is very close to one as well. But for most people, those criteria don't apply. I agree Madge_Gustard. DH tried it a couple of times with me dropping him off at Nakheel metro and then going into Emirates Towers. It made a long day so much longer and more stressful than a 20/30 minute car journey. PS SZR was almost a dream to drive down this morning, I guess a lot of people have taken the day off !
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 01:24
@Pollydxb, the public transport here takes you all over Dubai But it's often inconvenient, and much slower than driving yourself. DH tried using public transport to get to work, and the journey that normally takes him 15 minutes by car ended up taking over an hour by a mixture of bus, metro and walking - and of course, waiting for buses and walking are both out during the summer, at least if DH doesn't want to arrive at work needing a shower and a complete change of clothes. The metro is great if you live right next to a metro station *and* your destination is very close to one as well. But for most people, those criteria don't apply.
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 18:30
I can't imagine the new bridge being completed in a year! (or six months in each direction). When I think of highway bridges and flyovers under construction back home, while the main highway was still in operation, it took years, not just one. Even the big flyover by the Dubai Mall took several years. People working in DIFC/Sheikh Zayed may want to start taking the metro. My Dad - who works in construction always remarks on how long they take in the UK on building bridges, they seem to be a lot quicker here - fingers crossed :) In the UK (and most western countries for that matter) there is not enough construction work and money to keep the workers going, so there's an economical motivation to take a long time on construction work. Here there's so much construction going on that the labourers can be moved from one project to the other with the speed of lightning.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 18:12
One of the newer areas JVT has none and we are not expecting any buses for the foreseeable future Yes I know JVC doesn't but AR, DSO, IMPZ, Sports City, Green Community etc all have links.
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 17:55
One of the newer areas JVT has none and we are not expecting any buses for the foreseeable future
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 17:50
Sounds like fun ladies. Hope you all get where you need to be on time. @Pollydxb, the public transport here takes you all over Dubai. In the newer developments now there are buses connection to metro stations. I have lived here for 5 years and have always used public transport. It just takes a bit of figuring out.
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 16:52
going to stay at home on Sunday and wait for you all to report back with details and routes. :-P
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 14:15
Well Mannikat - I guess we will find out come Sunday .... :) Indeed! :( Just heard back from BayAvenue, the shopping centre in Business Bay - and they advised entry into BB will be via Financial Centre Road and Al Khail only Will hold my breath for Sunday and hope this is not the total disaster it seems to be.... i think I will be metro-ing after a few days though.... wish I could take my bike on! Moving to a villa seemed like such a good idea at the time :(
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 13:22
So the Al Khaill will now be a worse nightmare than usual for the next few months :( :( :( I'm more worried about the Financial Centre road, 1000 X more traffic flying over the bridge and off SZR - CRANAGE - I reckon I might go to CityWalk before work to wait for the traffic to die down!! I didn't want to think about that, as coming onto there from the Al Khail is horrendous at certain times. People flying up behind you and not realising that they are approaching traffic at a standstill just before you actually swing left, scares the life out of me :(
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 13:21
So the Al Khaill will now be a worse nightmare than usual for the next few months :( :( :( :( <em>edited by Londiamond on 22/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 13:18
So the Al Khaill will now be a worse nightmare than usual for the next few months :( :( :( I'm more worried about the Financial Centre road, 1000 X more traffic flying over the bridge and off SZR - CRANAGE - I reckon I might go to CityWalk before work to wait for the traffic to die down!!
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 13:15
So the Al Khaill will now be a worse nightmare than usual for the next few months :( :( :(
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 13:08
Well Mannikat - I guess we will find out come Sunday .... :) Indeed! :( Just heard back from BayAvenue, the shopping centre in Business Bay - and they advised entry into BB will be via Financial Centre Road and Al Khail only
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 12:23
Is the island soon to be the new New/Old Dubai location categorizer? Will it be the high class living on the island and the plebs living off? The new Manhattan.
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 11:41
Well Mannikat - I guess we will find out come Sunday .... :) Indeed! :(
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 11:33
Well Mannikat - I guess we will find out come Sunday .... :)
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 11:31
Looks to me like there will be access to Biz Bay by the metro station? Dubai bound anyway, no access in the AD direction though. No I don't think so, as that is where the massive red construction zone is There are blue lines coming in and out just before the metro station though? although there is no sign of this on the actual road?! :) we may be looking differently at the map, the blue roads I see are taking you off on to financial centre road, after the DM metro station, completely bypassing Business Bay ... & how do you get into it if you are coming from Dubai RTA you got some explaining to do ... I guess I am losing it then and I do need an eye test! I see blue small blues coming in and out before Business bay metro station joining the junction with the traffic lights? Dubai mall metro station isn't even on the map I'm look at?
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 10:34
well here things go up quickly...... work 24 hours and have a huge labour force on projects like this.
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 10:31
I can't imagine the new bridge being completed in a year! (or six months in each direction). When I think of highway bridges and flyovers under construction back home, while the main highway was still in operation, it took years, not just one. Even the big flyover by the Dubai Mall took several years. People working in DIFC/Sheikh Zayed may want to start taking the metro. My Dad - who works in construction always remarks on how long they take in the UK on building bridges, they seem to be a lot quicker here - fingers crossed :)
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 10:30
I can't imagine the new bridge being completed in a year! (or six months in each direction). When I think of highway bridges and flyovers under construction back home, while the main highway was still in operation, it took years, not just one. Even the big flyover by the Dubai Mall took several years. People working in DIFC/Sheikh Zayed may want to start taking the metro.
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 10:14
Looks to me like there will be access to Biz Bay by the metro station? Dubai bound anyway, no access in the AD direction though. No I don't think so, as that is where the massive red construction zone is There are blue lines coming in and out just before the metro station though? although there is no sign of this on the actual road?! :) we may be looking differently at the map, the blue roads I see are taking you off on to financial centre road, after the DM metro station, completely bypassing Business Bay ... & how do you get into it if you are coming from Dubai RTA you got some explaining to do ...
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 08:59
Looks to me like there will be access to Biz Bay by the metro station? Dubai bound anyway, no access in the AD direction though. No I don't think so, as that is where the massive red construction zone is There are blue lines coming in and out just before the metro station though? although there is no sign of this on the actual road?!
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 05:36
Ever hopeful it's not as bad as we are all expecting... :-( Fingers crossed! :)
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 23:27
The news report on the radio stated that it was only going to be closed on Friday, to allow the turning to be rerouted. The idea is that it'll be open again on Saturday.
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 22:28
I thought that was just on Friday, as it says temporary I recon it starts on Friday and goes on till the flyover (over the future canal) is finished. It is temporary in the sense that when the flyover is finished it will all be diverted back to current SZR. About 3-6 months to build in one direction and 3-6 months in other? 6-12 months?! ....{sigh}

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY