unqualified "teacher" | ExpatWoman.com

unqualified "teacher"

Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 10:59

i just found out that one of the "teachers" at my child's school has no teaching qualification whatsoever. apparently the head mistress is aware of this but because they are short-staffed, this lady has been "teaching" there for quite a while.

surely this cant be acceptable ...?

Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 11:02
Besides the fact that we are paying for qualified teachers, I would also worry about some very important skills that this person does not have. Training in CPR for example, training in anti bullying, training in social skills matters or skills when working with children who need shadow teachers etc..., cognitive behavior in children .... and the list just goes on. There is a lot more to teaching than just teaching.
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 10:28
As a qualified teacher with a degree and a masters, this is one of the things that really annoys me about here. When I first moved here I was in a school that I was not happy in, teaching a random subject that was not my own. I left. I am now in a fantastic school and very happy in my job. It annoys me that many of the schools I applied to while I was in my "unhappy" school, would not interview me nevermind offer me a position because I was "over qualified" - as someone from an agency told me, "why would they employ someone who is more qualified than themselves, a potential threat". Now I hear about people "teaching" and having what I would call basic child care qualifications and earning about the same amount of money as me. It is a joke. One of the posters is correct, parents are paying a lot of money to have their children educated in good schools by qualified teachers. They should be made aware of this.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 09:09
I sit as a governor on one of the school boards here in the UAE and you would be surprised just how many of the teachers are not qualified. Schools are finding it more and more difficult to find qualified experienced teaching staff at the offered salary packages. Also with the ADEC and KHDA requirements becoming increasingly more strict, the number of suitable applicants from which a school can choose is decreasing. It is a very difficult job to recruit suitable qualified teachers. Many schools resort to hiring (illegally) temporary teachers who do not meet the ADEC or KHDA criteria, are not under the school visa, but are cheap and hassle free for the schools. Teacher qualifications and experience of the class teacher are the first thing I would ask about when choosing a new school here for my DD. The costs of running a school here are enormous and many of the schools here in the UAE are "for profit" and have shareholders to whom the principal and board members must answer. There are often not the funds available to pay the attractive salary packages demanded by teachers these days. I think you would be surprised just how low some of the salary packages for teachers here are. I believe they start at 3,000/- per month. If you think your school is hiring temporary teachers, I suggest you contact KHDA immediately and discuss the matter with them. They will send a school inspector immediately to check the situation in the school and will demand that they rectify the situation immediately - this is your child's future; education in the UAE is expensive and as parents, we have the right to demand our children are taught by qualified, experienced educators.
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 20:56
Go visit KHDA or write to them about your suspicions. Primary teachers are meant to be teacher qualified and hold the relevant educational certificates. I’m sure they would be interested in any teacher who falsified their qualifications.
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 11:26
From our experience with current school, which we are changing as soon as we get a place in another, i see no difference between qualified and not qualified. They are both useless and not doing their job. Last year the Qualified Grade 2 class teacher recommended that i give tuition to DD as she was not doing that well in literacy. Education here is the worst. <em>edited by Carambar on 20/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 11:24
she was asking if our company is hiring at the moment, and, if so, for which positions. so i asked why she would move from teaching into corporate and that's when she divulged the information. i was surprised and asked if the school knew and she said yes.
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 11:19
I honestly don't know how this can be allowed, a teaching-assistant fine - but an actual teacher - I would be mortified to be paying the excessive fees and find out my child was being taught be someone who was unqualified!
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 11:17
that's the thing AnonDubai, she's single and on the school's sponsorship. wasnt there something about KHDA implementing a rule that all schools have 3 ( or whatever?) years to ensure that all teachers are properly qualified? or am i dreaming? In theory, yes, but in practice, no... Did she tell you this herself?
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 11:14
This is actually very common, though unfortunate. Is it a primary school or secondary? primary
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 11:14
that's the thing AnonDubai, she's single and on the school's sponsorship. wasnt there something about KHDA implementing a rule that all schools have 3 ( or whatever?) years to ensure that all teachers are properly qualified? or am i dreaming?
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 11:13
This is actually very common, though unfortunate. Is it a primary school or secondary? Something could be done about it, it's the getting done that's an issue...they do have khda and ministry of education, but rarely they'd take action since the individual school would determine the criteria for 'qualifications'...ie volunteering in a nursery could count. <em>edited by Cherpie on 20/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 11:10
At least that person claimed to have false qualifications. I think most of the unqualified people working here would not even try to hide it. I think this is exceptionally prevalent in situations whereby the woman is working on a housewife's visa. You need to show proper qualifications to get a visa to work in a school here, but if the school doesn't need to give you a visa, then any requirement for qualifications goes out the window... <em>edited by AnonDubai on 20/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 11:05
You have struck a chord with me. I am aware of one who was actually booted out of another country for allegedly having false quals. That person is currently teaching here.....have always wondered if there was anything that could be done about it.
Latest post on 20 October 2014 - 11:05
Yes, it is. The pay is too low and the hours are too long for many qualified staff to want to work here. I think most schools here are teeming with people who are not qualified for their jobs...

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY