Is there any where for disabled teens to meet up? | ExpatWoman.com

Is there any where for disabled teens to meet up?

Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 10:37

I'm asking on behalf of a friend new to Abu Dhabi. She has just moved there with her 3 sons and the oldest is 18 and wheel chair bound.

She's having trouble finding somewhere for him to go and meet people as he has finished his education and most places in AD are for locals or for children up to the age of 18. She's looking for somewhere that he can meet other people his age either in AD or Dubai - does this exist?

He's so lonely and missing his mates so it would be lovely to help him out.

Thanks!

Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 19:51
Look past someone's disability, don't highlight it. This!! My sister has a disability, granted she lives in the UK. But whenever someone asks why is she disabled.. I kindly remind them she is not disabled, she is a person with disability. Just as I am a person with blonde hair. To the OP, I wish I could be of more help - I've tried searching online for you, only Riding for the Disabled pops up. Sadly, I fear what I'll be able to do with my sister when she visits me here in Dubai. I agree with other posts however, don't let the fact he is bound to a wheelchair prevent him from joining in what he's interested in and events!
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 19:42
I understand what you are saying but as I said, I was posting on behalf of his mother who is looking for these groups. I would think she knows her son better than any of us and if those are the types of groups she is looking for, then so is he probably. Anyway, I appreciate your replies and Belinda, that is a great suggestion and I'll pass it on to her. If anyone else has any ideas, I'm sure his mother would love to hear them. Many thanks
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 13:39
If he is a bit if the sporty person, they are doing diving courses for disabled in Dubai and maybe in AD ( this I am not sure). I know it is a big succes, as underwater...you are weightless and free. And I guess it is a good way to meet new people and enjoy, as there are dive trips daily. In Dubai: http://www.thedivecentre.ae/ ( very nice divecentre near the Marina and Mena Seyahi) In AD: http://www.divemahara.com/ ( but not sure if they run the program also)
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 11:31
I do agree with previous posters, but I also think someone who has a disability would find they are able to share and communicate with other teens who have gone through something similar to them. They should have friends without disabilities so they understand they are normal and just like everyone else. They should also have friends who have disabilities, since they might find it easier to share problems and things that they struggle with about their disability that other people might not understand. I hope he finds some good friends soon :) <em>edited by sourskittleashnut on 21/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 11:30
Well FairyDust I think you are spot on! And thank you for nipping the LABEL in the butt!
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 11:17
I knew 'some' people wouldn't like the tone of my post, but as someone who worked extensively with disabled children in the past - they're usually mortified by people highlighting their disabilities. They're normal kids, with normal interests. It's like the old book 'Does he take sugar'. Would you like it if someone only focused on what was wrong with you?
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 11:15
I like Fairydusts point, knowing what his interests are would help in finding a club or meeting point for young adults. This could be in theatre groups, art classes, language classes or sports teams. I would ask him what he would like to do, learn, experience and go from there.
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 11:04
Frazzle, posting this question in the AD section as well as the Dubai one might be helpful too. Also, how to put this delicately - he's in a wheelchair SO WHAT? He's a teenage boy, who probably has the same interests as others his age. How about posting what things he likes to do, as that would help. Look past someone's disability, don't highlight it.