Toddler assessments for FS1: what to expect? | ExpatWoman.com

Toddler assessments for FS1: what to expect?

Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 11:51

Hi ladies,
DD is a July baby so going to be one of the youngest in her class. I'm a bit concerned about how she'll handle the upcoming school assessments, she might seem a bit behind the other older kids.

Could experienced mums please advise on tips for FS1 assessments and what exactly the kids are asked to do?

I know they are play-based but thats about it :\ I've put her name in GEMS schools.

Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 09:17
Hi Mrsg1, How did the assessment at JPS go?
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 15:34
Thanks for all the positive replies ladies! I'm optimistic that she can handle the assessment part then (insha'Allah!), however she is going through a stranger anxiety phase these days so I really hope she doesn't start screaming when she sees the teacher! Are other children usually in the room as well? Or is it one child at a time? edited by sourskittleashnut on 22/10/2014 Other children will b present
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 14:54
Thanks for all the positive replies ladies! I'm optimistic that she can handle the assessment part then (insha'Allah!), however she is going through a stranger anxiety phase these days so I really hope she doesn't start screaming when she sees the teacher! Are other children usually in the room as well? Or is it one child at a time? <em>edited by sourskittleashnut on 22/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 14:10
i am so glad this thread has been started. my DS was born end of may so one of the youngest- he has his assesment at JPS on Sunday. He is at nursery and can play by himself, eat snacks etc... he talks but not full sentences and isnt fully potty trained. i have been so worried but judging by the below comments hopefully he will be fine. thanks ladies.
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 09:41
I would not worry too much about it. My toddler did not say a word. Sat alone in a corner and did not want me to leave the classroom during the assessment. When the teacher asked him things, he barely replied, telling her did he wanted to go home. This happened to different degrees in 3 different assessments, but to my big surprise, he got into all 3 schools. I guess they just look for alarming things, but all kids have different degrees of development and that's in the end what schools are for. So don't worry too much about it and good luck with the assessments...
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 19:46
They would simply like to observe the child when he or she is in a school environment, away from their primary caregivers and how they would react, for instance to friendly instructions/suggestions, or to their peers, their social skills, and to understand a little bit about their personality. They also look for learning difficulties that may not be obvious in a shorter interview or process. They will definitely take into account the age of the child and how exposed he has been thus far to a school setting or environment. They do not expect children to 'ace' in any standard or compare a shy child with someone else who may be more accomplished or confident, because there is no standard set in any case. Children will be assessed in a play based set up, and perhaps asked to do some simple activity, a sandpit or a coloring station may be set up beforehand. They may ask the child to have a snack (one school assessment my child attended did this). They do expect in FS for the child to be fully toilet trained although a girl in my child's FS class was still in the midst of this process and the teachers were helping her to get there. Hope this helps.
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 19:00
Bumping this up as my 2nd child is August baby and I was wondering same thing. I've decided to keep him in nursery though as they do FS1 curriculum there and I have the option to pick him up at 3pm, which works well as my other children have school and activities. I did read an article somewhere, like a panel interview with different schools here regarding same question, and for most it is play based and they try and do it without the parents in same room (but will call them if child gets upset). They also do take into account the age, they know that an August baby could developmentally be different to a September baby. Lastly I remember reading they are looking for a child who is in process of, or will be totally toilet trained by time they get to school.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY